DAT in four days!! OMG. I need advice. :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_a_rose2238

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

Two months of 10 hour days is about to come to an end!!! I take my DAT on August 1st. I have utilized a number of different resources and feel like I am as ready as I am going to be for the sciences, reading, and PAT. I haven't taken an entire bootcamp test but my scores for the individual sciences are ranging between 21-24. Reading is a strong suit of mine and I am averaging around a 24 on the Bootcamp practice exams.

This being said, my QR is trash. I spent majority of my early study time learning trig (for the first time) because I figured that would be a huge portion of the QR and I was literally clueless with it. All of this time only to find out that people are getting around 2 trig (if even) questions on their exams. I feel like I am decent at all the word problems and probability but I am scoring 17s on the bootcamp tests due to pure lack of time (I have never been fast with math). I won't even say what I made on the 2009 QR :(. It seems that no matter how much I practice the problems I end up running out of time and blindly guessing on like 8. I honestly don't even know where I am losing the time. The new quantitative comparison questions are just not clicking with me (especially the dumb..."option one alone is sufficient...neither are sufficient") and from what I hear they are pretty abundant on the actual DAT.

I don't even know what to do at this point. I plan on working on as much QR as possible for the next couple of days. ** I know it wouldn't be the end of the world to score poorly on QR because everything else is strong and I also know there are people who have way more of a right to "freak out." However, as I'm sure most of you can understand, after all the hours of hard work I have put into getting to this point it would be extremely disappointing for QR to ruin my AA. As ridiculous as it is, the thought of postponing has crossed my mind but with it being pretty late I don't know if I'd be willing to do this.

Any advice on how to spend these last couple of days, sympathy, strategy, or just thoughts would be extremely appreciated. This forum has helped me SO much! Good luck to everyone who is taking it and a HUGE congrats to all of those that I am seeing did so well:)

Members don't see this ad.

There is a section in bc with 80 qc problems :) they've helped me! There's also a post from Orgoman on here about some more problems for qc they've released but you'd have to search the thread. Relax and remain calm! You've worked so hard! You can do this! I'm a week behind you and can't wait to hear we've both made it to the other side! Keep plugging away!

Building up speed on QR is definitely possible, but it also takes a bit of time as well. I'm not sure how quick you can get in the next 4 days - I would consider postponing by at least a week if it's that big of an issue. How did you prepare for the QR section?

Building up speed on QR is definitely possible, but it also takes a bit of time as well. I'm not sure how quick you can get in the next 4 days - I would consider postponing by at least a week if it's that big of an issue. How did you prepare for the QR section?

I haven't taken a math class since my dual credit classes in high school so I started out watching all of chads. I realized that he had more "little tips" than he did explanations on how to solve the challenging word problems and whatnot. I saw that bootcamp changed the QR from chad to Khan Academy videos so I started to watch those. I used math destroyer but I didn't do the tests timed and used it mostly when I was trying to conquer trig and geometry. I think I focused way too much on watching videos and taking notes than actually practicing and finding the trends on how they can ask these problems. Classic example of studying harder/longer not smarter.

I say I don't know where my time goes but I do notice that it takes me a while to figure out a clear path from what they give me to what they want. I can eventually figure it out (which is why I can score way better on an un-timed exam) but it definitely takes me a while and I often mess up and have to set up the problem all over again. As far as the quantitative comparison questions, I am so bad at figuring out "which statements are sufficient." I guess I'm not conceptualizing what they are asking so I usually try plugging in and solving with the statements they give and try to come up with an answer to see if that statement was sufficient (yeah...huge waste of time).
I am working on knowing when it is time to skip a problem. I get a bit stubborn when I've invested a decent amount of time into a question and I feel like I could eventually get to the answer. Who wants to spend all of that time just to guess in the end :(

I have literally gone through every bootcamp test so I am scoring well on those now but it's because I remember the answers. Destroyer has some good word problems which I planned on working on but it is pretty heavily trig/geometry focused. If you have any other source of questions you would recommend please let me know.

Thank yoouuu!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a section in bc with 80 qc problems :) they've helped me! There's also a post from Orgoman on here about some more problems for qc they've released but you'd have to search the thread. Relax and remain calm! You've worked so hard! You can do this! I'm a week behind you and can't wait to hear we've both made it to the other side! Keep plugging away!

Thank you so much for the encouragement! What is getting me through at this point is just knowing this will soon be over! :clap: I am definitely going to go back over those 80 qc problems and thoroughly read the explanations to see if I can't pick up anything else about them! I had no idea that Orgoman released questions so that just made my day. lol

Thank you again and best of luck on your test! :soexcited::soexcited:

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't taken a math class since my dual credit classes in high school so I started out watching all of chads. I realized that he had more "little tips" than he did explanations on how to solve the challenging word problems and whatnot. I saw that bootcamp changed the QR from chad to Khan Academy videos so I started to watch those. I used math destroyer but I didn't do the tests timed and used it mostly when I was trying to conquer trig and geometry. I think I focused way too much on watching videos and taking notes than actually practicing and finding the trends on how they can ask these problems. Classic example of studying harder/longer not smarter.

I say I don't know where my time goes but I do notice that it takes me a while to figure out a clear path from what they give me to what they want. I can eventually figure it out (which is why I can score way better on an un-timed exam) but it definitely takes me a while and I often mess up and have to set up the problem all over again. As far as the quantitative comparison questions, I am so bad at figuring out "which statements are sufficient." I guess I'm not conceptualizing what they are asking so I usually try plugging in and solving with the statements they give and try to come up with an answer to see if that statement was sufficient (yeah...huge waste of time).
I am working on knowing when it is time to skip a problem. I get a bit stubborn when I've invested a decent amount of time into a question and I feel like I could eventually get to the answer. Who wants to spend all of that time just to guess in the end :(

I have literally gone through every bootcamp test so I am scoring well on those now but it's because I remember the answers. Destroyer has some good word problems which I planned on working on but it is pretty heavily trig/geometry focused. If you have any other source of questions you would recommend please let me know.

Thank yoouuu!!!

If you're already going through BC and Math Destroyer you could consider isolated packages from CrackDAT and Qvault for just their QR sections - but IMO both of these are too easy and neither of them has been updated to reflect the current state of QR, which is reduced trig and increased quantitative comparison style questions - so it would help you with your timing a bit, but wouldn't really be representative of the real DAT.

Reactions: 1 users
I second Qvault for QR if you need some fresh material. I didnt score that hot on math and not a single school commented on it. Just do your best at killing the other sections. As long as it's above a 17 or so you'll be fine.

I primarily used Bootcamp for QR and found it really helpful for the new types of questions that came up on the 2017 DAT. I actually thought it was tougher than the real DAT and overprepared me for the questions that I saw. I do agree with everyone else though that building up speed is a must & also very doable with lots of practice on the Bootcamp tests. I was averaging 19-20 on Bootcamp QR and scored a 28 on the real one. You got this!!! All of your hard work will pay off.

How can you go to the test without doing a full test practice!
You should take a full test in a similar environment of the test!
Even if it's a repeat test, just to get used to the length of the test and strengthen your endurance.

How can you go to the test without doing a full test practice!
You should take a full test in a similar environment of the test!
Even if it's a repeat test, just to get used to the length of the test and strengthen your endurance.

I did the full length 2009 and 2007 tests. I didn't realize that bootcamp reused their questions from the individual subject tests so after each one I would go over the answers in detail (read solutions, watch mike's explanations) so I figured taking the full thing and knowing all the answers would be more of a waste of time.

I did the full length 2009 and 2007 tests. I didn't realize that bootcamp reused their questions from the individual subject tests so after each one I would go over the answers in detail (read solutions, watch mike's explanations) so I figured taking the full thing and knowing all the answers would be more of a waste of time.

Oh, OK great, I thought you didn't.

by the way 2009 has qr errors, so don't worry too much about it.
Then all you have to do is improve your QR, you can try defeat the dat by chad it's free has 5 qr tests of course without the quantitative comparisons tests.
DEFEAT the DAT
and here is some quantitative comparisons free tests
GRE Math Quantitative Comparisons : Practice tests and explanations

I also would go over qr in bootcamp again.

I am sure you'll get better and do well on the test.

Best of luck!

I primarily used Bootcamp for QR and found it really helpful for the new types of questions that came up on the 2017 DAT. I actually thought it was tougher than the real DAT and overprepared me for the questions that I saw. I do agree with everyone else though that building up speed is a must & also very doable with lots of practice on the Bootcamp tests. I was averaging 19-20 on Bootcamp QR and scored a 28 on the real one. You got this!!! All of your hard work will pay off.

Bootcamp is great! Literally all day yesterday I just re-worked every problem on every exam and found that I'm starting to understand them way better. A lot of my time is lost when I set up a problem wrong and have to go back to the beginning and redo it. I also did the quantitative comparison questions that Orgoman released. I feeling a lot better! It's amazing what 12 full hours of practice can do. We will see how it goes! I'm hoping for the greatest QR comeback ever lol!! Thanks so much for the encouragement!
Also, a huge congrats on your amazing score!! That is insane!!!!! :soexcited:

Last edited:
Great strategy!

Also this is a post about data sufficiency posted by a member here
I was struggling with Data Sufficiency questions b/c they are so foreign to me, but this website helped me develop a strategy and my scores have been improving! Wanted to share with you all:

These are the 5 answer choices:
  • A. Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.
  • B. Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.
  • C. BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.
  • D. EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.
  • E. Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient.

1. Write down (or imagine) the answer choices grouped together in this way: AD/BCE

2. Look at Statement 1 ALONE (don't even look at Statement 2 yet). Does Statement 1 ALONE have enough information to answer the question?
-If YES, the answer must be A or D.
-If NO, the answer must be B, C, or E.
*This is why we grouped answers AD/BCE together... because you can eliminate 2 or 3 answers (AD or BCE) by looking at the first statement alone. Even if you can't take it further from here, at least you've narrowed it down to 2 or 3 answers, rather than 5.*

3. Next, look at Statement 2 ALONE (don't even think about what you just read in Statement 1). Does Statement 2 alone have enough information to answer the question?
-Follow the decision tree below. Typing it all out made it sound way more confusing than it really is.

View attachment 220502

Hope you guys can follow what I've written out because it's really helped me. Here are some Data Sufficiency Practice Problems:
http://www.majortests.com/gmat/data_sufficiency.php
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-sample-data-sufficiency-practice-questions/
https://www.test-guide.com/gmat/free-gmat-practice-tests/gmat-data-sufficiency-practice-test-3.html
http://www.analyzemath.com/gmat/gmatdata1.html
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-sample-data-sufficiency-practice-questions/

Reactions: 1 users
Any CR Tips? It's my weakest section. Search & Destroy really doesn't work for me.

I can tell you what I have found that really works for me! I think RC is one of those things you really have to find your niche. I have never been a reader (can't even remember the last time I finished a book) so I am not very fast. I initially tried search and destroy and ended up panicking and scoring terribly on every test.
The highlight feature has saved me with reading. At first I was overusing it and when everything is yellow it doesn't help much lol. But I always highlight a keyword that tells me the main idea of the paragraph and any keywords that pertain to something I feel like they could ask about. This way it actually stands out when I go back to the passage.

I always read the first 2 questions before I start (if I try to read more than that I end up forgetting them). I give myself 8 minutes to read the passage throughly and once I hit 8 minutes I very quickly skim what is left and highlight just the main topic in each paragraph. This gives me around 12 minutes to answer questions.

I think the most important thing for me was not allowing myself to go over 20 minutes for a single passage. Ever. I was so stubborn about marking and moving on but if you can't answer the questions in 12 minutes there is more than likely an easier passage coming up. Last thing you want is to be rushed through the easy passage and get those questions wrong due to lack of time. I almost always have some time at the end to go back so it works out. Once I figured out my method it didn't take a ton of practice to start scoring well so don't freak out just find what works for you!

Good Luck!! :):)

Reactions: 2 users
Bootcamp has a cheat sheet for all the formulas. Do a practice test with it, and memorise the whole thing. I think it's like 3 pages, and it has everything you need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using SDN mobile