Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Dat Math

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Dentalstu02, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Dentalstu02

Dentalstu02 Member
    7+ Year Member

This question concerns the math on the dat...it seems like the topscore math is pretty basic stuff that is tested. Does it compare to the real dat? Are there a lot of trig (sin,cos,cot etc..) questions??
    Thanks in advance!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vixen

vixen I like members
    10+ Year Member

I dont remember from the first time I took it, but I am going to post a couple of math questions....hope you guys aren't annoyed:

1. Among the fractions below, which is the greatest:

A) 7/10
    B) 20/23
    C) 5/7
    D) 27/35
    E) 25/33

answer is B. Anyone know a better way than guesstimating the fractions....or a quicker way at least?

Which of the following is equal to sin 8pi/7?

A) sin pi/7
    B) cos pi/7
    C) -sin 4pi/7
    D) -sin pi/7
    E) -cos pi/7

answer is D. I dont remember how to do this stuff at all.

A rectangular solid has a length of 5 inces, a width of 3 inches, and a height of 6 inches. What is the greatest possible distance between any two corner points of this solid?

A) 5 inches
    B) 34^1/2 inches
    C) 52^1/2 inches
    D) 61^1/2 inches
    E) 70^1/2 inches

answer is E.

anyways, i hope there is not a lot of trig....I dont remember that stuff...that was waaay back!!!

4. Doggie

Doggie Professional Jackass
    10+ Year Member

A) 7/10
    B) 20/23
    C) 5/7
    D) 27/35
    E) 25/33

I dont know where I learned this, but this trick is very useful...it's not "real" math, but nevertheless, it kicks ass.

Let's say you want to compare 7/10 and 20/23....all you have to do is put them side by side like this:

7. 20
    -- --
    10 23

Cross multiply the denominator to the numerator........so combine 7 and 23.........20 and 10. The bigger value will tell you which fraction is bigger. In this case, 7/10 has the value of 161 (7x21) and 20/23 has the value of 200 (20x10).....therefore, 20/23 is the bigger fraction. This works all sorts of fraction comparison....... hope this helps. :laugh:

5. bres

bres Member
    7+ Year Member

The real DAT, math will be easier than topscore. Yes, trig questions, know sec, cosec, sin, cos, tan, etc....
    Know some of key conversion factors.
    Just pace yourself. Skip the questions you don't figure out at the first glance and go back to those after completing the section.

6. Dentalstu02

Dentalstu02 Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks Bres. what do you mean by conversion factors, do you mean formulas..like distance formula, trig formula?? Or do you need to just know stuff like pounds ounces conversion?

7. Dentalstu02

Dentalstu02 Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks bres!

8. DATMATT

DATMATT SISU
    7+ Year Member

For this question:

A rectangular solid has a length of 5 inces, a width of 3 inches, and a height of 6 inches. What is the greatest possible distance between any two corner points of this solid?

A) 5 inches
    B) 34^1/2 inches
    C) 52^1/2 inches
    D) 61^1/2 inches
    E) 70^1/2 inches

answer is E.

Use the pathagrean theorem 2x's. a(squared) + b(squared) = c(squared)

Once to find the diagonal of the base and the to find the diagonal between the furthest upper and lower corners of the box

9. vixen

vixen I like members
    10+ Year Member

you guys are the best!!!! thanks! :clap: Hopefully I wont have ot keep posting questions, but you guys have some good tips...thanks!!!!! :clap: :)

10. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    Here's my DAT math story (and it turned out to be a good one!):

I was worried to the utmost degree about the math on the DAT. I haven't had any sort of math in 6 years, and reviewing even some of the simple stuff in the Kaplan book felt extremely foreign to me.

I took my DAT on a Tuesday, and knowing that I would have trouble remember formulas, etc. for the math section, I started really hard-core studying for it on the Sunday before the exam. I reviewed each section several times and felt that I could at least score a 16 on it, or perhaps a 17 if I was lucky.

As I said, this really worried me because I felt that the math section would kill my academic average. Basically, I felt so poorly about my math skills that I though the difference between a good math score and a bad math score would place my academic average anywhere from an 18-21! That's a HUGE difference, and my practice tests showed that it mostly hinged on my math score.

Test day came, and I must have been the luckiest person in the testing center. I had NO trig, and NO geometry of any sort. All of my questions were simple math, with the exception of 2 or 3 word problems which sat on top of my already fried-brain and merely fizzled.

I didn't have to use a single equation that I had memorized! Some of the questions were so simple that I felt like I was in 5th grade (a real question: What is 15% of $80?). I lucked out and scored a 19 (a decent score, 86%ile!). I could have done way better, even with my poor math skills, if that would have been the first section tested on. Because it is the last, I was tired and didn't even compute a question or two just out of the sheer desire to leave the center.

So, moral of the story = pray hard and you may do alright on the math section, even if you don't study! I did!

11. sjdent

sjdent Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Good god, I hated the math section. But the test preps WILL prepare you adequately. I didn't do as well as I wanted to though. I was running out of steam at the end.

12. pumpkins90

pumpkins90 Member
    7+ Year Member

I am dreading the math section. I took the practice DAT over the weekend and only scored a 16 in math. Like Gavin C. i can also count on 2 hands how many years it has been since i have had a math class. Studying the Kaplan book, i didn't think the 6 chapters were very hard. When i took the practice test in the book, it seemed like it did not correlate much from what i studied. I am also having problems with the 45 minute time limit. I guess i will just keep practicing and hoping by the luck of the draw, i can get some simplier problems on the DAT. Only 9 more days until the real deal!

13. ucdbiochem

ucdbiochem Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

did anyone just take the DAT recently? I'm preparing for DAT and wonder if someone can let me have the topscore pro cd. I'm willing to offer compensation. PM me if interested. thanks.

14. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    pumpkins,

Good luck! Perhaps you will be super lucky and get the easiest math section ever created. I'm proof that it can happen!

BTW, you'll do better than you expect, even if you get a harder section.

15. tinker bell

tinker bell 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

to answer your first question, I have one funny trick.
    Just line up the 3 biggest fraction, in this case they are 20/23, 25/33, 27/35.
    And they ask for the greatest fraction, just pick the number that has the smallest nominator, which is 20/23.
    If they ask for the smallest fraction, pick the other way.
    It only works 99%

BTW, I have a 29 on math with 5 min left over. I love math, it brings my academic average up so much.

Good luck to you all. And post problems if you have any. Don't be scared of math, it's easy.
    T

16. Centrum

Centrum SMILEY KING
    7+ Year Member

As easy as it sounds, your method is quite clever. Maybe I just make things too hard for myself? Anyways, genius, pure genius. :clap: :clap: :)

17. basarachobits

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Here is the formula to find out the diagnol of the rectangular box
    sqart root of (length^^^^^^2 + width^2 +height^2)
    good luck

18. vlct0ria

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You do realize this thread has been dead for almost 7 years right?

19. Ballardista

Pre-Dental
    I don't care if it's been dead for 7 years--I'm glad it came back up--really useful! :)

20. ZzZzSleepyhead

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Haha, I don't think the worrying about math on the DAT ever goes away....

21. GiTsticker

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    lol...you wished a dentist of 3 years good luck on his DAT.

22. ohdearhopeipass

2+ Year Member

lmao............ good lord.

23. GiTsticker

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    :cry: Why can't we go back to the good ol' days...

24. keliao

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    hey guys, so she said pick smallest nominator among 20/23, 25/33, 27/35. for the greatest fraction. and the opposite for smallest fraction.

so if you pick 27/35 for the smallest fraction (is not true)

20/23= .86 25/33= .75 27/35= .77

does any1 uses this method of picking the smallest/greatest fraction????

25. DAT-TAKER

Pre-Dental
    Can anyone help me with this question from Dat Bootcam? Thanks
    Let x and y be the coordinates of a point on the perimeter of a circle centered at the origin. What is the value of x + y?

1) x/y = 1
    2) x2 + y2 = 4

• A. Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.
    • B. Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.
    • C. BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.
    • D. EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.
    • E. Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient.