dat questioN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predent77

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi.. has anyone out there tried the barron dat book? how are the tests on there compared to the actual DATs? and did you guys find any mistakes in there?
i'm currently taking a kaplan course but just wanted to find more stuff out there....

Members don't see this ad.

I used Barron's, among other, test preps. Barron's science prep is poor and there are tons of mistakes in the book. Having said that, let me say that there PAT prep is very good and their sample DATs are probably pretty on par with the real thing.

i second that!
The barron's appears ok, but I have found a few mistakes myself...
The one benefit to the barron's book is that Lehman (author) has some valuable advice and resources found at the end of the book, such as helpful advice on how to prepare for the dat,(not with barron's :) ), what to expect in the interview, etc,....
i found the kaplan to be very helpful, and improved on my retake by 2 on the percep, and 1 on the academic..
take care, and good luck

I agree, Barron's book is good for the PAT, but I would study the Kaplan books for the science parts.

I would HIGHLY recommend the Scholarware CD for the DAT, especially if you have never taken a standardized test on computer before. One of the founders of the company happens to be a 2nd year dental student here and he came and talked to us about the benefit of the CD (sales pitch). He also mentioned that the questions on the CD are designed to be harder than the actual DAT (which I believe after taking the sample tests on the CD and then taking the actual DAT). Hope this helps.

Eric