DAT RC vs MCAT verbal reasoning

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by flossit, Dec 24, 2016.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. flossit

flossit 2+ Year Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Guys, do you know if it will be useful to use Mcat verbal to study for Dat reading comprehension? Are they similar?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. eyespy93

eyespy93

Dec 16, 2016
    From my experience, the DAT RC is easier than the MCAT one, at least the Canadian one. I studied for the MCAT in 2012 and found that the questions had a lot of inferential questions and made you really analyze the passage. Also, the MCAT passage topics seemed really random at times (I remember a passage about different types of knots). The real DAT passages were more closely related health sciences. To study for my DAT RC, I used DAT Bootcamp and Crack the DAT. I did a practice test every 2nd day for the last 2.5 weeks and ended up with 21 on the real DAT. I'm sure it couldn't hurt to use the MCAT study material, but I just didn't want to risk it since this was a weak spot for me.

4. 8_man

8_man Achievement Unlocked: Dental School

Jul 22, 2016
    Mom's House
    I got a 124 (48th percentile) on the new MCAT, and a 26 (98.7th percentile) on the DAT

But this is just a single instance, so take it with a grain of salt. To answer your question–no, i don't think it would be beneficial.

5. Mr Donald Mouse

Mr Donald Mouse

May 25, 2017
    I scored 124 on cars and 400 on OAT rc. So rc is much easier imo.

6. wezleesun`

wezleesun` SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor

Aug 12, 2016
    MCaT verbal reasoning is completely different from the DAT RC.

Stick to DAT materials tailored for the DAT.

7. Alpha Centauri

Alpha Centauri SDN Silver Donor Silver Donor 2+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Fhloston Paradise
    Studying for RC is a waste of time. If you can speak English and have practiced a strategy once, maybe twice tops you will do well

Mr Donald Mouse likes this.
  8. Orka

Orka Have Any Questions? Ask me. Account on Hold Bronze Donor 5+ Year Member

May 3, 2011
    Practice makes perfect.

9. Alpha Centauri

Alpha Centauri SDN Silver Donor Silver Donor 2+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Fhloston Paradise
    You'll never be perfect. Spend your time looking at orgo reactions instead of reading scientific American articles

10. tyjacobs

tyjacobs 2+ Year Member

May 10, 2015
    not sure, but I'd definitely use DAT focused material. I suggest using crack the DAT RC and DAT bootcamp. Depending on what crack dat package you get, you can have access up to 20 RC exams, which is plenty for practice.

11. Illumident

Illumident SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor

Jan 26, 2016
    No, they are not similar.

12. JLT223

JLT223 2+ Year Member

Jun 3, 2015
    As someone who took both exams, the simple answer is no. The reading sections aren't even comparable to the slightest degree.