DAT Reading comprehension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentiz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have two weeks till my dat and I havent done anything for reading comprehension. I tried the bootcamp verbal section but quit halfway. What is the best tool for practicing, I dont want anything too hard to freak me out, I just wana get the jist of the reading comp section. I heard topscore is best

Members don't see this ad.

Try the practice exam on DATgenius or any practice exam... that will give you a clue where you stand. Try just reading the whole passage and answering the questions within the given time. If this doesn't work well, you should research some strategies. But the time they give is enough to read 3 passages and answer the questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try looking at the passage, skim it (don't read in depth), move onto the questions, and search and destroy after. The Kaplan Method was reading it over, summarizing key points and then answering, but it didn't work for me.
If you're a fairly proficient reader, you could follow virtualmaster999's advice. (Read question, hunt down the part where it talks about it.)

Si I just took the first reading comp test on bootcamp , I got a 20, I honestly dont know how. I listened to what yall said and made my own strategy. Just one last question, How representative is that score as compared to the real DAT if anyone has tried bootcamp. Thank you @FeralisExtremum

It's hard to predict actual scores based on practice scores because so much can vary (between people, between versions of the test, etc.). They're best used as a rough indicator of where you are right now. Most people tend to score a little higher on the real thing than on Bootcamp, from what I've seen - but it's a great indicator of the style of questions and passages on the real test.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I have two weeks till my dat and I havent done anything for reading comprehension. I tried the bootcamp verbal section but quit halfway. What is the best tool for practicing, I dont want anything too hard to freak me out, I just wana get the jist of the reading comp section. I heard topscore is best

Hi Dentiz,

If you already have topscore by all means use it. After many years of working with students no timed test is going to be exactly like the DAT, why? Because you will get different topics and questions than on any timed test. Your main goal should be to increase your speed and comprehension levels. Just by old fashion reading, books, magazines, newspaper articles each night for 30 minutes to an hour will increase speed. Most students where English is a first language and have a good GPA generally do quite well on the reading section.

Wishing you the best on your DAT and your studies.

Nancy

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, I think i was just overwhelmed by bootcamps passage lengths.
All the passages are around 1,500 words/passage, which is the exact passage length stated by the ADA. Remember, it's not the number of paragraphs that make a passage long, it's the number of words.

The trick to the RC section is to find what works for you. Some students swear by search and destroy, others like me prefer to just read the whole passage and then answer the questions. If you got a 20 on your first try that is a great sign you found something that works! Do the same thing again for the next test and see how it goes. If you stay above a 20 for the next few tests you'll be fine for the real DAT. Don't stress it too much, this section seems overwhelming but when you get in the groove of it you'll see it's beatable just like every other section. :) Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users