DAT Registration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Literati81

Poor Nerd
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize for such a silly administrative question. Since I became predent as of this quarter, I am totally unfamiliar with the predental process. Can anyone tell me how to sign up to take the DAT? How much in advance do I need to register (e.g. 3 months before?)?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks so much and have a great day!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Literati81
I apologize for such a silly administrative question. Since I became predent as of this quarter, I am totally unfamiliar with the predental process. Can anyone tell me how to sign up to take the DAT? How much in advance do I need to register (e.g. 3 months before?)?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks so much and have a great day!

1- Register for the pre-requisites (if you haven't taken it before), you will need them for the DAT.
2- After you complete your pre-requisites, and you take some diagnostic tests to see where you stand on taking the DAT, create a schedule to improve on your weak areas on the DAT.
3- Get the study guides for the DAT (TopScore, Kaplan Book etc).
4- Schedule for the DAT when you are ready (and I mean REALLY ready).
5- If you are not satisfied with your DAT scores - go back to step 3.

Good Luck

Thanks for your help. But I was looking more towards finding out when I should register for the DAT if I'm planning on taking it by May 2004.

I already took all the pre-reqs (I'm a 5th year) and JUST started studying for the DAT. So, I'm feeling pretty screwed. Arg.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Literati81
Thanks for your help. But I was looking more towards finding out when I should register for the DAT if I'm planning on taking it by May 2004.

I already took all the pre-reqs (I'm a 5th year) and JUST started studying for the DAT. So, I'm feeling pretty screwed. Arg.

You should set up a DAT date with them ASAP so that you may get the specific time you want. If in case you are not ready when DAT comes around, you can always call them, JUST AS LONG AS YOU DO IT (I think) 3 BUSINESS DAYS PRIOR TO YOUR TEST DATE TO RESCHEDULE, then you will be fine! You won't be penalize/pay extra fee to reschedule.

Wow. Thanks for all your replies! Seeing how I'm totally broke at the moment (ironically, due to dental payments), I don't have the [roughly] $160 to register. Would it be risky to register 2 months prior to my expected date of doom (=DAT)?

2 months is good, you might experience problems if you try to schedule it in 3 weeks or less, depending on the location and the time of the year.

I scheduled mine 4/5 days before I took the actual DAT, because that was the only date available at the time, and the next one was like few weeks later, and I still managed to get a good score.

Focus on the materials and doing well on the DAT, scheduling is the easy part.

Because Sylvan Learning/Testing Centre have DAT almost everyday of the week (except weekend) and I think there are two time slot available each day, 2 months is more than enough to schedule the DAT. I think the latest should be 1 month (because this will motivate you to do some quality studying).