DAT results(!) and Review of Resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimothy_777

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I finally get to report my scores to everyone. After an arduous 4 weeks of studying, I am so happy, astounded, and proud of my scores :)

PAT: 23
QR: 20
RC: 24
BIO: 28
GC: 26
OC: 22
TS: 25
AA: 24

I am a nontrad applicant that took my prereqs ~10 years ago now, so if I can do it, ANYONE can ;)
I used:
1. Chad's videos - best for reteaching yourself chemistry. My chem review would have taken HOURS longer had I not had someone teaching it to me. And to boot, he's a GREAT teacher. He hits all the concepts that would ever show up on the DAT.
2. DAT Destroyer - many will say this is not necessary, and even ruin your confidence. I say better to be overprepared, and just know you're getting 'destroyed' so much more than the real thing. Nothing feels better than whizzing through the GC section asking yourself "Where's the hard stuff???" - and having ample time to review anything you're not 100% sure of.
3. DAT Bootcamp was great for practice tests that push the limit just a little further than what you'll get on the real DAT. This aids in making sure you've got your knowledge covered, but also having a good handle on how much time to take for each question. He has 5 tests of each kind, and I say 5 is the exact right # of practice tests to get comfortable with the real scenario.
4. Bio - Read through Cliff's AP and Kaplan's twice each, and highlighted my way through Feralis' notes simultaneously during the second read through. Re-wrote notes as needed to gain further understanding. As a pharmacist for 3 years, I really only needed to do this for plant and taxonomy sections; much of it was second nature / common sense to me (ie hormones)
5. PAT - refer to #3. Tougher than the real DAT but exposes your weaknesses. Review your mistakes in detail. I bought Crack the DAT prior to discovering bootcamp - which is the only resource purchased that I felt was unnecessary / not worth the value.
6. QR - Refer to #3. I also did about 12 of Destroyer's, which were gut wrenchingly hard. It probably was good for me though since I still only got 20 on this section.
7. RC - I am a SLOW reader, and was definitely most worried about this section, getting mostly 18-20 on Bootcamp. Having 5 tests allowed me to develop and hone a strategy that worked best for me though, and by the last one I got 23, so I totally attest to the possibility of improving your RC score if you are determined. (Also, I got 17 on RC when I took the Canadian DAT 8 years ago...)

Any comments on my chances? I'm Canadian, applied to 12 universities, don't know my official GPA yet but conservative estimation is: oGPA 3.4 sGPA 3.5 bcpGPA 3.6. My pharmacy GPA lowered everything considering the more difficult curve; without it bcpGPA is 3.75, but I realize I can't cross my fingers they'll look at just that part... Thanks for reading! :0)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So, you are a pharmacist trying to be a dentist? Why the career change? Just wondering. Also, great scores. I am taking mine on thursday and i am nervous. Also, you will probably get into dental school but interviewers will likely ask why you wanted to change your career, so be able to answer that question during dental interviews. Good luck with everything!

My Bio professor in undergrad, who wrote one of my rec letters, was also a pharmacist and dentist. I think its very smart cause now you cut out the middle man when slingin drugs haha. Good scores, and you will have no problem getting in. Not being sexist but your application will be above and beyond other female applicants. Is a possible reason why you decided to switch to the "light side" because of government ran health care (aka socialized medicine) in Canada? If it is, I dont blame you a damn bit! Are you applying this cycle btw?

Members don't see this ad :)
great scores!!! do you mind sharing your RC strategy
So, you are a pharmacist trying to be a dentist? Why the career change? Just wondering. Also, great scores. I am taking mine on thursday and i am nervous. Also, you will probably get into dental school but interviewers will likely ask why you wanted to change your career, so be able to answer that question during dental interviews. Good luck with everything!

Trust me, I've thought this one through A LOT, considering the time investment, change in lifestyle it will require, and likely long distance with my husband. But to summarize why really quickly, it comes down to a couple things.
1. I want a greater ability to make decisions. If I see a problem, I want to have the authority to intervene. As a pharmacist, you are the expert in prescribing because its what you studied for FOUR YEARS, yet the doctor does the prescribing, who had ONE LECTURE on it for each module/system/whatever. They do not understand anything about pharmacokinetics ('physics' of drugs in the body). It is so frustrating and you are forced to compromise your standards, dispensing things you think are inappropriate but 'won't kill the patient'. You have to triage and pick your battles all day long because you can only call a Dr so many times (and it's not about annoying the Dr, its about managing your time to get through the 2 inch thick pile of orders - no joke in hospital pharmacy). Don't get me wrong, if I run into 5 orders in a row that have major problems, I will act on it. But you do compromise a lot, everyday. And its out of your control. I'm sure there are compromises as a dentist too, but you are the man/woman at the top directing things at least.
2. I am an artist, love working with my hands. I need a tangible product at the end of the day, closer interaction with patients. I observe dentists making an immediate, tangible difference and feel like that kind of impact is just beyond my reach as a pharmacist.

It has nothing to do with the Canadian healthcare system, as someone else asked below. We grow up with the ingrained belief that it is everyone's right to have equal access to healthcare, kind of like clean drinking water. Unfortunately the entire system isn't built this way though - Ex) Prescription medications and dental care do depend on each individual's insurance, unless they are willing to pay out of pocket.

My Bio professor in undergrad, who wrote one of my rec letters, was also a pharmacist and dentist. I think its very smart cause now you cut out the middle man when slingin drugs haha. Good scores, and you will have no problem getting in. Not being sexist but your application will be above and beyond other female applicants. Is a possible reason why you decided to switch to the "light side" because of government ran health care (aka socialized medicine) in Canada? If it is, I dont blame you a damn bit! Are you applying this cycle btw?

See my reply, below. To comment on dentist pharmacist interactions, don't be afraid to ask your pharmacist questions! Generally dentists are pretty good about asking questions when they should, instead of just prescribing something. As a dentist, I will still depend on pharmacists as the next filter in the system though - they closely assess drug/drug, drug/disease interactions, allergies, etc - so won't really be cutting the middle man out. Someone still has to dispense and check it ;)

See my reply, below. To comment on dentist pharmacist interactions, don't be afraid to ask your pharmacist questions! Generally dentists are pretty good about asking questions when they should, instead of just prescribing something. As a dentist, I will still depend on pharmacists as the next filter in the system though - they closely assess drug/drug, drug/disease interactions, allergies, etc - so won't really be cutting the middle man out. Someone still has to dispense and check it ;)

I know I was just messing! It's hard to sound sarcastic through written words lol