DAT Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaiderNation

Recently Reinstated
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been answered before, but...after you take the DAT, are you given the results immediately or are they mailed to you. I asked my dentist and he said his were mailed...although he took the test about 15 years ago.

Members don't see this ad.

For me, I get the 'official' unofficial DAT scores at the conclusion of the examination and the invigilator told me that they will mail the 'official scores' to your dental schools in a few weeks. I haven't received any about DAT scores in the mail and I took it in June '03.

It depends.

In my case, I was given the official results with a certified stamp at the end of the test. A lot of people I met on SDN did too, so it depends on the location you take the test.

Members don't see this ad :)
So...if it takes Sylvan so long to send the scores out, it would be wiser to take the DAT before you turn your application in? I was planning on turning it in on June 1st, but taking the DAT in the middle of June sometime. But this would make my application complete more like the middle of July...right? So would there be any point to applying June 1st if the DAT scores won't arrive to the school until early-mid July?

not really. What you can do is call the schools you are interested in and ask them if you can fax your unofficla scores until the official ones come in. Every school I applied to told be that would be okay. BTW, I took the dat in early september and I turned in my application in June. I was accepted on Dec. 1st.

Originally posted by RaiderNation
So...if it takes Sylvan so long to send the scores out, it would be wiser to take the DAT before you turn your application in? I was planning on turning it in on June 1st, but taking the DAT in the middle of June sometime. But this would make my application complete more like the middle of July...right? So would there be any point to applying June 1st if the DAT scores won't arrive to the school until early-mid July?

If you request your scores at the end of the test - the invigilator will give you a certified results sheet with a stamp (this is your personal copy, the schools get theirs in about 3 weeks). This document is semi-official - and schools will be able to use it until they receive your official DAT scores (the schools copy).

So, no need to wait for anything. Just take the test, and fax your results to the schools of your choice. This will definetly help your application get reviewed sooner.

Mo

RaiderNation:

Try to apply to AADSAS ASAP, when the 2005 Cycle starts (around May) and submit the application around mid-June (when AADSAS begin accepting application). Even though you might not have taken your DAT at that time, as soon as you submit the application to AADSAS, they will take that about 1 month to process the application and send it to your schools (so on average it will take around 5 weeks from when you submit your application to the time when dental schools receive them). Since DAT scores are mailed directly to the dental schools (which will take around 4 weeks), your DAT scores will probably arrive at the dental schools before your application does.