DAT Retake Necessary--Will this make me late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baby tooth

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just took the DAT a couple of days ago and got horrible scores (Bio 16 GC 14 OC 14 RC 20 QR 19 PAT 17). :scared:

I know these scores are horrible and I am fully planning to retake and remedy them. It's not that I didn't prepare (I averaged a 20.4 AA and a 21.2 TS on my Kaplan course tests), I just got really nervous and completely choked on the NS and PAT sections of the exam. I got really upset while taking those sections. For the retake I am planning on studying with more materials than I used and definitely taking more practice exams so I can get that nervousness out of my system.

If I retake the DAT in early September, my application will be on hold until they get the scores, right?

With a low GPA (3.2 ogpa and 3.2 sgpa--there is an upward trend there) does that mean that I have basically shot myself in the foot for the 2013-2014 application cycle because now I am unable to apply early?

I know a great DAT score is more important than applying super early, but I am scared that I will be rejected just because I'm having to retake the DAT so late and the scores will be in late. Any advice?

Also, should I plan on faxing my unofficial score report as soon as I get done with the retake?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Retake absolutely necessary just take it in 90 days from that date. Also with that gpa you will need a 21+. GL

Retake absolutely necessary just take it in 90 days from that date. Also with that gpa you will need a 21+. GL

Thanks, the earliest I can retake is 8/27 I think (I took it 5/29). Will that make me too late? Should I just forget about this cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, the earliest I can retake is 8/27 I think (I took it 5/29). Will that make me too late? Should I just forget about this cycle?

Not only would you have to wait until 8/27 to take the test, it can take up to 4 weeks for schools to receive your official scores so they'd be looking at your application mid September.

I'm not 100% on this but I'd say you're out of luck with pre-December interviews but you could land some interviews in early 2014? It's completely up to you. If you have time and money, apply this cycle.

Well mid-Sept doesn't sound too bad. It'll be later than most people, but I was afraid I wouldn't get looked at until mid-Oct!

Well mid-Sept doesn't sound too bad. It'll be later than most people, but I was afraid I wouldn't get looked at until mid-Oct!

Ya, I probably should have said Mid September is the soonest they'll receive your application. When they'll actually look it at depends on how busy their admissions office is. It could very well be October :oops:

Just do well on the exam! If you get a 21+ your good. You can mark on your app that your retaking. But keep in mins your app is a little week for this cycle. Getting your gpa to 3.3+ will make quite a diff.

Ya, I probably should have said Mid September is the soonest they'll receive your application. When they'll actually look it at depends on how busy their admissions office is. It could very well be October :oops:

But if i get everything in by June/July and my secondaries done ASAP, they'll still look at me before someone who submits their application at the end of August, right?

I looked up a few threads from the 2011-2012 cycle and it seems that some people do get December acceptances with a retake around early September if they do well, even with a GPA around where mine is. So maybe I should just do my best and hope for the best. :luck:

Just do well on the exam! If you get a 21+ your good. You can mark on your app that your retaking. But keep in mins your app is a little week for this cycle. Getting your gpa to 3.3+ will make quite a diff.

Thanks! I plan on taking some classes this coming semester so hopefully I can keep the upward trend going.

I was going to take classes this summer, but it seems I have to study for the retake instead. Oh well, life throws us curve balls sometimes.