DAT Retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnwickk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
So unfortunately I have to retake my DAT. I got a 16 in orgo 19 in bio 20 in gen chem and 20 on PAT. Some schools have cutoffs at 17. I was wondering if I retake the DAT this December when it's been 90 days what are my chances at schools who have deadlines in January/February? I can't really afford to lose a year as this is my gap year Plus I have a masters and alot of my friends who got in during the masters had to do academic updates in December to be able to be accepted into schools like NYU BostonU Tufts (the schools in interested in). So schools interviewed them after December and most had a successful cycle.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone
So unfortunately I have to retake my DAT. I got a 16 in orgo 19 in bio 20 in gen chem and 20 on PAT. Some schools have cutoffs at 17. I was wondering if I retake the DAT this December when it's been 90 days what are my chances at schools who have deadlines in January/February? I can't really afford to lose a year as this is my gap year Plus I have a masters and alot of my friends who got in during the masters had to do academic updates in December to be able to be accepted into schools like NYU BostonU Tufts (the schools in interested in). So schools interviewed them after December and most had a successful cycle.
Thank you
What is your GPA (overall and science)?

If it's high enough, you may want to go ahead and apply to at least a few of the dental schools who will accept lower DAT scores. I have a 16 in one of the sciences and I've already received 3 interview offers. What is your AA and TS?

What is your GPA (overall and science)?

If it's high enough, you may want to go ahead and apply to at least a few of the dental schools who will accept lower DAT scores. I have a 16 in one of the sciences and I've already received 3 interview offers. What is your AA and TS?

Hey thanks for the response. My ugpa is on the low side around 2.8 so I had to do a masters and obtained a 3.4-3.5 gpa in master level science courses along with few dental school courses. My academic average is 18 and TS is 18. May I ask what schools offered you an interview?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks for the response. My ugpa is on the low side around 2.8 so I had to do a masters and obtained a 3.4-3.5 gpa in master level science courses along with few dental school courses. My academic average is 18 and TS is 18. May I ask what schools offered you an interview?
Thank you
I've gotten invites to Western, Midwestern Illinois, and Roseman (got that one just this last Friday and I'm thrilled about it!!).

How many shadowing hours do you have and community service hours? If you have a good amount of those and some great LORs, that helps too!

My GPA is 3.8 overall and 3.7 sciences.

You could go ahead and get your application done and submitted and state that you plan on retaking the DAT. Some have received interview invites doing this and got the invites before they retook the DAT (their scores were good enough).

Last edited:
I've gotten invites to Western, Midwestern Illinois, and Roseman (got that one just this last Friday and I'm thrilled about it!!).

How many shadowing hours do you have and community service hours? If you have a good amount of those and some great LORs, that helps too!

My GPA is 3.8 overall and 3.7 sciences.
Ever since I learned about Roseman's teaching style, I see it as one of my top schools! Do you know if the 30 hours they look at is in quarter hours or semester hours?

You could go ahead and get your application done and submitted and state that you plan on retaking the DAT. Some have received interview invites doing this and got the invites before they retook the DAT (their scores were good enough).
If you don’t mind me asking, when did you submit and when was your app complete?

Ever since I learned about Roseman's teaching style, I see it as one of my top schools! Do you know if the 30 hours they look at is in quarter hours or semester hours?
I honestly don't know.....but I should look into it before I interview! I do love what I've heard and read about them so far :)

If you don’t mind me asking, when did you submit and when was your app complete?
My application was complete on 7/20, but I took awhile to get all of the supplementals, etc, together and submitted. Most were done by the first week of August, but a couple were even later than that.