DAT retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RiYo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to re-apply for this cycle for dental schools.
I took DAT and scored: 20AA (22QR, 16RC, 17 Bio, GC 22, OC 23), 21PAT
I am kind of worried about my RC and Bio scores...

My GPA is 3.72 and I have about 300 hours of volunteering and about 250 hours of shadowing

I took my DAT a year ago in the summer of my Sophomore year and I applied without a degree in the early september last year to three schools where degree is not required. I got waitlisted after an interview for one of them, and I got rejected without an interview for the other two schools in late March.

Should I retake DAT in August and apply a bit later than june or is it better to apply early in the june

Members don't see this ad.

It appears you are applying to very competitive schools that are looking for higher DAT scores. You want this to be your final time facing the DAT Beast, IMO, I would not worry about the time frame as much as scoring high on the DAT. Would you be fully prepared
early June, which is only a few weeks away. These are questions only you can answer..

wishing you the best and always #think....Nancy

I also noticed the 17 in Bio and reading and I am going to make the assumption that English may not be a first language, if that is the case I would do my best to put a lot more time and effort in those sections to bring up those scores.

It appears you are applying to very competitive schools that are looking for higher DAT scores. You want this to be your final time facing the DAT Beast, IMO, I would not worry about the time frame as much as scoring high on the DAT. Would you be fully prepared
early June, which is only a few weeks away. These are questions only you can answer..

wishing you the best and always #think....Nancy

I also noticed the 17 in Bio and reading and I am going to make the assumption that English may not be a first language, if that is the case I would do my best to put a lot more time and effort in those sections to bring up those scores.

So is retaking necessary for me?
Because yes, english is not my first language and I always have struggled with it so I am not even sure if I could do better even if i retake...

Reactions: 1 user
The reason I thought it might be a second language is because students often struggle with Bio because of it, not that you aren't smart there is just a language barrier and there is a lot of reading in the Bio. I don't think you need to retake it, your scores are really great. You might want to contact the schools and ask them about your scores. You have a fantastic GPA and that definitely helps a lot.

Hope this helps and if you have more questions just ask...Nancy

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in a very similar situation with you. I got pretty good score in other section but a 15 RC. I know it is very frustrating. Since you are only junior in your college now, you still have a lot of time. I retook my DAT last summer in sept. and wait-listed for 2 schools. If I were you, I will try to retake the DAT because higher DAT might help you get into a better school. Otherwise, you can take more classes in college and apply as much school as you can.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn’t retake. I have the same stats as you, both gpa and dat, and got accepted into a competitive state school. Just apply more broadly