DAT Score Order of Importance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kxb4777

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious...

Any thoughts or information on the order of importance of your DAT scores? I get mixed opinions when looking through this forum.

Members don't see this ad.

it depends. some schools like case look at RC more than anything else but they want at least 18 in bio and chem.

Bio > RC > chem and orgo > pat > QR

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say Bio = RC > Chem > PAT > QR

I would also place Bio equal to RC just because so many schools look at RC with such high regard because they seem to "correlate with NDBE scores." Here's my idea of order of importance

BIOLOGY = READING COMPREHENSION (may vary per school)> GENERAL CHEMISTRY > ORGANIC CHEMISTRY > PERCEPTUAL ABILITY > QUANTITATIVE REASONING.

Again, I think this could be a good GENERAL concensus on the weight carried by each individual section on the DAT but it most certainly varies from one school to the next.

Bio = RC > GChem > Ochem > PAT > QR

But, if we do not take into account the fact that high OChem or GChem can raise the AA (and TS), High PAT > High GChem or Ochem.

Bio = RC > GChem > Ochem > PAT > QR

But, if we do not take into account the fact that high OChem or GChem can raise the AA (and TS), High PAT > High GChem or Ochem.

Really?:rolleyes: I'm not so sure that PAT is so important seeing how the national and DS averages for matriculants are so low. I could be wrong.

Really?:rolleyes: I'm not so sure that PAT is so important seeing how the national and DS averages for matriculants are so low. I could be wrong.

I tend to agree with denticus on this. Looking at the interviewees so far this year at Case, Nova, UI, and San Antonio, I don't generally see a noticeable difference in the PAT score between those that have been invited and those that have received a rejection. Now, certain schools claim that they value the PAT, and that might be true. However, I get the impression from my research that as long as you don't really mess up there, it is the AA that counts the most, and of this especially the sciences and reading.

I don't think it matters much whether you have 20 PAT or 22 PAT. But I think that a 25+ PAT is more impressive than 25+ G/Ochem for the schools.

Of course the AA is much more important (that is why the G/Ochem can be said to be generally more important than PAT)

I don't think it matters much whether you have 20 PAT or 22 PAT. But I think that a 25+ PAT is more impressive than 25+ G/Ochem for the schools.

Of course the AA is much more important (that is why the G/Ochem can be said to be generally more important than PAT)

I can see why you would think that because by itself, the PAT is its own exam. Nevertheless, I would kind of think that ANY outlier in your score is impressive including QR. I think that when you start to compare scores when they are outliers then you run into a foggy area of comparison. I say this because I can totally see adcoms drooling over someone getting a high genchem score as (even though chem really isn't covered extensively in DS beyond Biochem) it is still a science score which helps schools predict how well they can do GENERALLY in other science classes. It could really go either way depending on the school so I don't know.:rolleyes:

It seems like the Bio >RC> etc etc is right, but last year bio and RC were my highest scores, and that didnt do it for me because my PAT was so low.

Last year:
bio - 20
rc - 21
pat - 15

So I dont know what the order of importance here is, but i think everything is relative and everything is important.

It seems like the Bio >RC> etc etc is right, but last year bio and RC were my highest scores, and that didnt do it for me because my PAT was so low.

Last year:
bio - 20
rc - 21
pat - 15

So I dont know what the order of importance here is, but i think everything is relative and everything is important.

I think that the PAT CAN kill your app. but only for schools that have higher standards including cut-offs. Of course it does carry weight, just not nearly as much as the sciences. At least that's what I have observed. I question if your PAT score was THE reason that resulted in whatever acceptance dilemmas you faced last year. It was probably just one of many.

what's the consensus for the relative importance of each DAT sub-section???

I always thought that AA > TS > PAT >>>> Bio > RCT > GChem, OChem, QRT

...but looking at this thread makes me confused :S

yea - I thought the same way. Does this also mean that everyone agrees that QR is the least important part of the DAT??

u guys are making me stress out!

Why is RC so important???!!@!!

It was my second worst score. Should I def retake??

schools are all about trends they have seen in the success of students. Depends on the school, some feel that your RC score is the best predictor of how you will do your first year in dental school.