DAT scores are in, what does everyone think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gavin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got done with my DAT's. Relieved is an understatement.

AA 19
TS 20
Bio 19
Gen Chem 21
Orgo 20
PAT 19
RC 19
QR 15

As far as studying goes I did not take kaplan but I studied for 2 1/2 months hardcore. I did use DAT Acheiver, Topscore. My scores went up on the actual exam as compared to both Topscore and Achiever, except for math. If anyone has any questions specifically as to how I studied for a specific section I will be happy to respond.

What does everyone think of the Math score I know its bad but do you think it will stop me from getting interviews. I feel everything else is pretty good. I have a Cum GPA of 3.4 and my science GPA is a 3.0. I have a several yrs. experience in a dental office and a dental lab. And I also volunteered in a dental clinic. I would greatly appreciate everyones feedback, thanks in advance.
Gavin

Members don't see this ad.

Gavin said:

AA 19
TS 20
Bio 19
Gen Chem 21
Orgo 20
PAT 19
RC 19
QR 15

As far as studying goes I did not take kaplan but I studied for 2 1/2 months hardcore. I did use DAT Acheiver, Topscore. My scores went up on the actual exam as compared to both Topscore and Achiever, except for math. If anyone has any questions specifically as to how I studied for a specific section I will be happy to respond.

What does everyone think of the Math score I know its bad but do you think it will stop me from getting interviews. I feel everything else is pretty good. I have a Cum GPA of 3.4 and my science GPA is a 3.0. I have a several yrs. experience in a dental office and a dental lab. And I also volunteered in a dental clinic. I would greatly appreciate everyones feedback, thanks in advance.
Gavin

What were your QR scores from ach. and top score....I'm having a h*ll of a time with quantitative reasoning and my test is monday morning :eek: What was QR like on the real test?? any pointers will help

nice scores man congrats! Youll get in somewhere with those scores, but it depends what school you apply to because some have a cutoff at 16... I think your QR score is just at the cutoff for most schools I would say, so I think your good.

what went wrong with your RC/QR?
frustrated?
anxiety?
test center?

Gavin said:

AA 19
TS 20
Bio 19
Gen Chem 21
Orgo 20
PAT 19
RC 19
QR 15

Gavin

Members don't see this ad :)
Gavin said:

AA 19
TS 20
Bio 19
Gen Chem 21
Orgo 20
PAT 19
RC 19
QR 15

Gavin

Lots of schools weight the QC as 2/10. While the sciences and pat are 9/10.

...your choice if you want to retake. Some care, others don't. You can look up which schools care in some dental schools guide book. Maybe the ADEA official guide. Maybe Barron's. I forget.

ya i think youll get in somewhere. just be prepared for them to ask about your score at the interview though. but in dentistry your never gonna have to calculate what the average speed was if u drove 40 mph one way and 20 back. i think the schools just use it to kind of show reasoning skills or logical thought stuff. but overall i would say that QR might be the least important section.

what do u guys think is the most or least important sections of the DAT?

lintydent said:
How did you approach the RC?...skimming or reading entirely?

I used the outline strategy and I did not look at the questions first. I took anywhere from 9 to 12 minutes to prepare my outline for each section and then I would go to the questions. I feel this strategy helps you answer the questions about the overall purpose or "feeling" of the passage questions.

Good Luck

I feel that my endurance was not as strong as it could have been, its a long exam and you have to try and prepare yourself for this aspect of the exam. It was also very hot, we had a heat wave on long island and not to make excuses because its not but it was a little uncomfortable in the room. it wasn't anxiety i think i just go tired.

claydds said:
What were your QR scores from ach. and top score....I'm having a h*ll of a time with quantitative reasoning and my test is monday morning :eek: What was QR like on the real test?? any pointers will help

claydds: sorry to get back to you a little late but at this point if you are taking the test tomorow, just try to generalize the problems into categories and make sure you can do the problems very quickly. Good luck

can you still post ur practice exams? it would be helpful for all of us to see where we are at...thank you in advance