Dental school attending:AZ

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
This make me wonder if there is any statistical relationship between scoring high on DAT and NBDE? I assume there is a correlaton, but I wonder if it is strong.

omaralt

10+ Year Member
May 31, 2004
Status
Dentist
hey sup ppl. i was told something interesting by su ann at nova who told me they did a study on this. they saw that there was no connection at all with the PAT portion, but surprisingly there was a direct correlation between the reading comprehension score and ur board scores.

omar

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2001
Longitude 80.0W Latitude 40.44N
Status
Non-Student
jk5177 said:
This make me wonder if there is any statistical relationship between scoring high on DAT and NBDE? I assume there is a correlaton, but I wonder if it is strong.
There was a study done on this topic, DAT correlation with NBDE Part I, in the Journal of Dental Education. Here's the reference:

De Ball S. Sullivan K. Horine J. Duncan WK. Replogle W. The relationship of performance on the dental admission test and performance on Part I of the National Board Dental Examinations. [Review] [12 refs] [Journal Article. Review] Journal of Dental Education. 66(4):478-84, 2002 Apr.

Here are my numbers:

DAT scores: 20/20/23
Board I scores: 90
Dental school attending: Nova Southeastern University

Profchaos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2004
Status
Although many schools use scores on the Dental Admission Test (DAT) to evaluate applicants, the association of these scores with students' performance on Part I of the National Board Dental Examinations (NBDE) has not been recently evaluated. In this study, the hypothesis that the DAT scores would be a significant predictor of Part I of the NBDE scores was tested. We analyzed by multiple regression the scores on both examinations for the 114 students matriculating in the University of Mississippi School of Dentistry in 1992, 1993, 1994, and 1995. The results indicate that DAT reading comprehension was a statistically significant predictor (p value less than or equal to 0.05) of all four subtests of Part I of the NBDE. The DAT biology and organic chemistry scores were statistically significant predictors of NBDE biochemistry-physiology, and the DAT quantitative analysis score was a statistically significant predictor of NBDE dental anatomy and occlusion. DAT perceptual ability and general chemistry were not significant predictors. That's probably why a lot of school don't care about some of the low PAT scores.

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
I love SDN. Thank you folks!

If you're interested in reading the actual article because you want to feel like you are a nerd, then go here and collect two hundred dollars. (hint hint... monopoly)

http://www.jdentaled.org/cgi/reprint/66/4/478

lnn2

Oral Fixation
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2002
TX
Visit site
Status
Yah-E said:
De Ball S...
I don't know about all of other stuffs but the name sure sounds very fishy to me! :D sounds like Dr. I.P. Freely might have something to do with it :D :laugh:

omfsres

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2004
Status
lnn2 said:
I don't know about all of other stuffs but the name sure sounds very fishy to me! :D sounds like Dr. I.P. Freely might have something to do with it :D :laugh:
DAT 17
PartI 93
PartII 91