Dat Start Study 06/01/08 Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMFS08

Tooth Extractornator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All those planning on starting to study for the DAT on June 1st or interested in starting on that date please post here. Let us work together to encourage each other. Just knowing you have that group of people with you along the way makes a huge difference. Please do not forget to *subscribe to this thread so you can see every post made!!! READY!!! SET!!!.......LET'S DESTROY THE DAT!!! :mad: (BEGINNING JUNE 1st 2008)

*To subscribe to the thread simply click on "Thread Tools" above and click "Subscribe to this Thread"

Members don't see this ad.

Took my Diagnostic this afternoon Saturday June 31st here are my scores:

Scaled Scores:
Academic Average 13.13
spacer.gif

> Survey Of Natural Sciences 13.40
spacer.gif

- Biology 14 :confused:
spacer.gif

- General Chemistry 14
spacer.gif

- Organic Chemistry 12
spacer.gif

> Reading Comprehension 16:confused:
spacer.gif

> Quantitative Reasoning 10
Perceptual Ability Test 18:)

Conditions of test:

Took it 12noon when it was really hot.

I was in the study library and it was a bit noisy.

I was extremely hungry.

My opinion:

I think I did fine on the Perceptual ability so I pretty much like that. I am upset about the Biology because I am like Biology king but then again I have not read a book since May 2007 when I graduated. Post your scores people lets compare lol. Atleast now I know what I need to focus on!! (EVERYTHING!!)

See OMFS!!! I told you the math was killer!!!! haha It was bay FAR my worst one too...I bought a SAT math review book so we will see...

I haven't been on this site since I got rejected last year. The first time I come here, I see a thread about exactly what I'm doing! I'm gonna start studying in 11 minutes haha. I'm planning on taking the test mid to late august. I have the Kaplan book from the class I took last year and also I bought DAT Destroyer. I think I will get crack the DAT PAT later too. I want to get practice tests but achiever and topscore don't seem to work for mac...

Also, someone mentioned counting the number of "events" for the PAT. That works on the Kaplan questions but when i took the test, all the answers had the same number of events for every single questions. So it was a waste of time...

Seems we are in the same boat. I dont think we should be too worried just yet. After all, its hard to do when you havent used the information in years. But the basic understanding of the material is there, for instance you recognize the concept of electronegativity or how many bonds you can have etc. Its just a matter of refreshing yourself and i really believe the info will come back faster than you imagine.

Except gen chem... freaking devil for me, im not sure if im still intimidated by the material or the reminder of my gen chem prof...*shudders*

I am happy I took that diagnostic. I know exactly what areas I need to brush up in. However, as my brother told me, kaplan makes the practice test harder than normal so as to scare you into taking the classes. (money making plan lol) I have begun studies and I must say I am extremely motivated because of how poorly I did on the practice. LOL

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't been on this site since I got rejected last year. The first time I come here, I see a thread about exactly what I'm doing! I'm gonna start studying in 11 minutes haha. I'm planning on taking the test mid to late august. I have the Kaplan book from the class I took last year and also I bought DAT Destroyer. I think I will get crack the DAT PAT later too. I want to get practice tests but achiever and topscore don't seem to work for mac...

Also, someone mentioned counting the number of "events" for the PAT. That works on the Kaplan questions but when i took the test, all the answers had the same number of events for every single questions. So it was a waste of time...

Studies began today. Join in the fun!!!

i plan on taking the diagnostics today after i get down from work @ 6.

i have already been doing some late night studying but need to get serious now.

i plan on taking the diagnostics today after i get down from work @ 6.

i have already been doing some late night studying but need to get serious now.

Post your results on here when you get done with the Diagnostic test.

SOOOOOO I just started studying today just did about 4 hrs and change. I only completed one chapter but I did semi thorough studying (not just reviewing). My question is, was that too long? I started with Biology (kaplan blue book 08-09 edition). I want to be able to read Kaplan Blue Book twice but I need to be done as soon as possible. Is doing 4 hrs per chapter overkill? Suggestions please??? Im tired. Taking an hr break then I will be back for another 4-5hrs so total of about 9hrs.

SOOOOOO I just started studying today just did about 4 hrs and change. I only completed one chapter but I did semi thorough studying (not just reviewing). My question is, was that too long? I started with Biology (kaplan blue book 08-09 edition). I want to be able to read Kaplan Blue Book twice but I need to be done as soon as possible. Is doing 4 hrs per chapter overkill? Suggestions please??? Im tired. Taking an hr break then I will be back for another 4-5hrs so total of about 9hrs.

That is how I feel too...I read a chapter, take notes, and then complete any workshops that came with my online materials. Then I go back and go over my notes I made. 4 hours might be a bit overkill but everyone is different! What works for one person may not necessarily work for another :)

That is how I feel too...I read a chapter, take notes, and then complete any workshops that came with my online materials. Then I go back and go over my notes I made. 4 hours might be a bit overkill but everyone is different! What works for one person may not necessarily work for another :)

Hi! Do you know how long Kaplan class expired?

Thanks for the info. I do the same exact thing. I think I might need to pick up my speed. Does anyone know how many chapters to read per day to finish the Kaplan Blue Book in a month or less?

I think 4 hours / chapter is a bit too much, you'll never get through all the material in time. I would say read a few chapters at a time, highlight some stuff, and then quiz yourself on the material. The stuff you got wrong is obviously what you still need to go over. Wait a day or so and quiz yourself again.

so i didn't get to the diagnostics today, came home to late to put down 4 hours into the test. i could in theory do it now, but that won't be a good idea i think.

so instead i spent the time reviewing when i got back from work.
for some reason i start to feel VERY sleepy when i try to study. any help would be appreciated.

basically i've never really studied for anything hardcore until my last few semesters of college where i studied for biochem and cell development and diff. (which wasn't much continuous studying as it was more week before stuff).

anyone have any ideas or tips (i don't drink coffee) and am easily distracted.

Members don't see this ad :)
so i didn't get to the diagnostics today, came home to late to put down 4 hours into the test. i could in theory do it now, but that won't be a good idea i think.

so instead i spent the time reviewing when i got back from work.
for some reason i start to feel VERY sleepy when i try to study. any help would be appreciated.

basically i've never really studied for anything hardcore until my last few semesters of college where i studied for biochem and cell development and diff. (which wasn't much continuous studying as it was more week before stuff).

anyone have any ideas or tips (i don't drink coffee) and am easily distracted.

I was looking forward to your scores lol. Well only time I feel sleepy to study is after a long days work. Try sleeping before studying. I dont drink coffee either so I excercise every morning which also helps to give you energy. Hope that helped.

Eureka!!!!! I figured out that I must study atleast 3 chapters per day in order to complete the Kaplan Blue Book in about 1 month!

Eureka!!!!! I figured out that I must study atleast 3 chapters per day in order to complete the Kaplan Blue Book in about 1 month!

Nice! However keep in mind that some chapters are crazy short (I just read an orgo chapter that was like 4 pages and things I already knew!). I think I average about 4 chapters a day and usually that is supplemented with other sources. How'd the studying go yesterday?? I barely did anything because I had a few supplemental application essays to finish...that and I chickened out and pushed back my DAT until the 1st week of July haha I'm soooo lame.

Nice! However keep in mind that some chapters are crazy short (I just read an orgo chapter that was like 4 pages and things I already knew!). I think I average about 4 chapters a day and usually that is supplemented with other sources. How'd the studying go yesterday?? I barely did anything because I had a few supplemental application essays to finish...that and I chickened out and pushed back my DAT until the 1st week of July haha I'm soooo lame.

Studies were cool yesterday, very thorough. I took 4 hrs and did pages upon pages of notes. Then I quizzed myself for 2 hrs on the entire material and I knew about 89% of information which improved to 90% after the first quiz. I was exhausted however. I am studying now, taking a 10 min break to post on here lol. I think 3 chapters a day is perfect! July DAT is fine, mine is August 9th. I want to be super prepared!!!. Have you used the Destroyer as yet? I was planning on waiting till I completed studies to use it. Is that wise? Or star now?

Studies were cool yesterday, very thorough. I took 4 hrs and did pages upon pages of notes. Then I quizzed myself for 2 hrs on the entire material and I knew about 89% of information which improved to 90% after the first quiz. I was exhausted however. I am studying now, taking a 10 min break to post on here lol. I think 3 chapters a day is perfect! July DAT is fine, mine is August 9th. I want to be super prepared!!!. Have you used the Destroyer as yet? I was planning on waiting till I completed studies to use it. Is that wise? Or star now?

My Destroyer is getting here sometime this week...so I haven't thumbed through it yet. I was planning on doing a little everyday and then once I finish studying go through everything a final time.

And at your rate...you are going to do fantastic on your DAT! :thumbup:

My Destroyer is getting here sometime this week...so I haven't thumbed through it yet. I was planning on doing a little everyday and then once I finish studying go through everything a final time.

And at your rate...you are going to do fantastic on your DAT! :thumbup:

Thanks for the encouragement. I am aiming for a 25 in the DAT I know it's not easy but I know it can be done. I think I may follow your plan to do the Destroyer little by little each day.

looks like all of you are very motivated, keep it up :thumbup:

Thanks, have no choice but to be motivated. So I just did another 4 hrs taking a 1 hr break about to resume for another 3- 4 hrs yeah!!! Wish me luck. LOL

haha another day passed.

i went to NJ today (live in NY) and decided to go check out umdnj.
tommorow for sure i'm going to take the diagnostics (inshallah)

question, how long does it take the dat destroyer to arrive, i'm planning on ordering it tommorow. plan on taking my dat EARLY august.

haha another day passed.

question, how long does it take the dat destroyer to arrive, i'm planning on ordering it tommorow. plan on taking my dat EARLY august.

It doesn't take long AT ALL. They shipped it the day I ordered it and I think it takes ~3 days.

I planned to start on 1st june, but as usual I am late again.!! Better late than never..!!
I am taking DAT on July 21 and I haven't studied a thing yet...!! So lets get this machine started and destroy the DAT....!!

Like the thread..!!

I planned to start on 1st june, but as usual I am late again.!! Better late than never..!!
I am taking DAT on July 21 and I haven't studied a thing yet...!! So lets get this machine started and destroy the DAT....!!

Like the thread..!!

Hey dude, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, taking the DAT on July 22nd. Have you taken a diagnostic or anything? Are you taking a Kaplan course or anything? I have just started my studying. Maybe we can be partners and help to keep each other accountable and on-track.

Hey guys,

I am living in Canada so am taking the Canadian Kaplan course - SO I will not be taught QR and orgo - any advice on how to manage time? I figured along with keeping up with class I should do a couple of chapters of QR/Orgo each week - the kap book only had 6 chapters of math though :/ is that enough practice? I bought extra books for Orgo and stuff -and Barron's DAT guide

Will post my scaled diagnostic scores tonight!

Hey guys,

I am living in Canada so am taking the Canadian Kaplan course - SO I will not be taught QR and orgo - any advice on how to manage time? I figured along with keeping up with class I should do a couple of chapters of QR/Orgo each week - the kap book only had 6 chapters of math though :/ is that enough practice? I bought extra books for Orgo and stuff -and Barron's DAT guide

Will post my scaled diagnostic scores tonight!

Welcome to all the new joinees!! Well you most likely need supplemental materials to get by. Kaplan is not sufficient unless you already know all that you will need then by all means just use Kaplan otherwise just grab some other materials.

haha another day passed.

You really need to push to post those scores lol. kiddin. I thought your date was july Now its early august? Well mine is August 9th. What date is every body taking the DAT??? Post here!!

You really need to push to post those scores lol. kiddin. I thought your date was july Now its early august? Well mine is August 9th. What date is every body taking the DAT??? Post here!!

July 5th! (rescheduled... ;))

well on my way back from umdnj i thought it would be better if i just studied more and got a good grade instead of half-assing it.

fyi, i started the diagnostics. finished the whole science part. but i have to head out of here so i suspended it to take it later :p tonight hopefully haha.

Hey dude, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, taking the DAT on July 22nd. Have you taken a diagnostic or anything? Are you taking a Kaplan course or anything? I have just started my studying. Maybe we can be partners and help to keep each other accountable and on-track.

Awesome...........This is what I was looking for from this thread..!! I welcome your move to keep check on each other for next 48 days 17 hours 52 minutes until we take the DATs.

I took a Kaplan diagnostic 4 months back and did splendidly terrible with averaging around 16 in nearly all sections and 14 on PAT...he he. Now, I heard that Kaplan diagnostics are joke.....well, it was a real thriller for me...So I really need to push beyond my limits to crack DATs..!!

I have ordered the supplemental materials on DATS and they are on the way..!! Meanwhile I am spending a little time in library to brush up my organic from Barrons DAT and some flash cards...!!

I don't have clear idea of where to start from..!! I think my diagnostic says that I am equally weak on all the sections and super weak on PAT...!!

Do you have a strategy or a schedule of how you would be dealing next 48 days ...?? I don't. I would appreciate if you can enlighten me with some smart way of dealing with this sucker DATs........!! Lol

Hey guys,

Im new to the site and just also started studying. I was thinking about purchasing the online Kaplan course but decided to just scour through the 2009 Kaplan blue book and use the $1200 to buy other materials such as Topscore, Destroyer, ect. What do you guys think? Is it worth the money to actually buy the online course?

I have a summer research position everyday for 7-4 so all this studying will be happening in the evening. Im very excited to go through the joyous occasion of studying for the DAT together. I have been waiting my entire life for this summer.....not :).

Hey guys,

Im new to the site and just also started studying. I was thinking about purchasing the online Kaplan course but decided to just scour through the 2009 Kaplan blue book and use the $1200 to buy other materials such as Topscore, Destroyer, ect. What do you guys think? Is it worth the money to actually buy the online course?

I have a summer research position everyday for 7-4 so all this studying will be happening in the evening. Im very excited to go through the joyous occasion of studying for the DAT together. I have been waiting my entire life for this summer.....not :).
Smart idea with saving money by purchasing materials on your own. IMO, Kaplan class is for those that lack self motivation and need to pay someone to tell them to study their book. I once sat in on one class and was splendidly amazed in a negative way. All they did was talk about test taking strategies then you still had to go home and study. Nothing beats knowing down pat the information you need!!! Get the Kaplan Blue Book, Destroyer, ToP Score and Anything else. But those three are fine in my opinion. Set aside 8-9 hrs of study per day. I am doing that now and I am great!

Can I have your vote on this guys?? I have been studying for 4 days now and I am doing 8-9hrs per day. I am planning on boosting my hrs to 12-15hrs of study per day. Do you all think that is overkill or does anybody else think thats a good idea? How many hrs/day do you all study?

Can I have your vote on this guys?? I have been studying for 4 days now and I am doing 8-9hrs per day. I am planning on boosting my hrs to 12-15hrs of study per day. Do you all think that is overkill or does anybody else think thats a good idea? How many hrs/day do you all study?

OMFS, don't be silly! 8-9 hours is plenty (even that can be slightly overkill) since your exam day is a little over 2 months away. You don't want to overdo it and get burnt out a month from now and then not be able to study as much during the month of July. 8 hours is plenty a day, step it up to ~10/day the week before your exam if you feel unprepared, but no more than that. I think anything over 8 hours/day and you are not doing the studying you should be. You are probably not going to retain the information as well as you could be by starting the next day fresh. Time would be better spent doing something more productive like volunteering or taking some more personal time. Please take my advice, people call me the queen of studying, haha. My exam date is a month from now and I'm only doing 8-9 hours a day. :)

OMFS, don't be silly! 8-9 hours is plenty (even that can be slightly overkill) since your exam day is a little over 2 months away. You don't want to overdo it and get burnt out a month from now and then not be able to study as much during the month of July. 8 hours is plenty a day, step it up to ~10/day the week before your exam if you feel unprepared, but no more than that. I think anything over 8 hours/day and you are not doing the studying you should be. You are probably not going to retain the information as well as you could be by starting the next day fresh. Time would be better spent doing something more productive like volunteering or taking some more personal time. Please take my advice, people call me the queen of studying, haha. My exam date is a month from now and I'm only doing 8-9 hours a day. :)

Thank you so much sweety. I really appreciate that from someone who is a head of me in the game. I will heed your advice. I like studying too but I do feel burnt out after 9hrs a day! Thanks.

Thank you so much sweety. I really appreciate that from someone who is a head of me in the game. I will heed your advice. I like studying too but I do feel burnt out after 9hrs a day! Thanks.

haha i don't know how u guys can do it that long, i take so many 15 min breaks.

haha i don't know how u guys can do it that long, i take so many 15 min breaks.

I have a feeling your pulling our "digital legs" gkhan lol. You seem like someone that studies *25hrs a day!!! hahahhaha

*Kids there are only 24hrs in a day. This is merely a hyperbole, used for dramatic effect. Stay in school. :idea:

Last edited:
Awesome...........This is what I was looking for from this thread..!! I welcome your move to keep check on each other for next 48 days 17 hours 52 minutes until we take the DATs.

I took a Kaplan diagnostic 4 months back and did splendidly terrible with averaging around 16 in nearly all sections and 14 on PAT...he he. Now, I heard that Kaplan diagnostics are joke.....well, it was a real thriller for me...So I really need to push beyond my limits to crack DATs..!!

I have ordered the supplemental materials on DATS and they are on the way..!! Meanwhile I am spending a little time in library to brush up my organic from Barrons DAT and some flash cards...!!

I don't have clear idea of where to start from..!! I think my diagnostic says that I am equally weak on all the sections and super weak on PAT...!!

Do you have a strategy or a schedule of how you would be dealing next 48 days ...?? I don't. I would appreciate if you can enlighten me with some smart way of dealing with this sucker DATs........!! Lol

Hey Deontologist - I'm taking the Kaplan course right now, so I'm basically using their materials. I have also ordered the Topscore practice tests, but I'm going to wait to start taking those until July when I have already studied everything. I'm going to PM you my email so we can be in touch.

I'm so glad I found a site like this finally...I don't have to write my test until november, which will be my first time writing it, so I hope this thread is as useful/exciting as it sounds.

Hi, I am new to this website, but this is what I have been lookin for. I am still in school and next week is my last week, so I am planning to start studying on June 15. I am taking my DAT on July 28th. Good luck to all...

Hi, I am new to this website, but this is what I have been lookin for. I am still in school and next week is my last week, so I am planning to start studying on June 15. I am taking my DAT on July 28th. Good luck to all...

Welcome to the site first of all. Why are you in such a rush to take the DAT? I think June 15th to July 28th is not a long enough time for a first time taker but I may be wrong. If all your doing is studying then you will be fine but if you have to travel, work etc then be careful. Good luck however!!

haha no i'm not pulling your e-leg.
i'm trying to build up my study time. tommorow i plan on finishing the diagnostics (suspended it after the hard sciences because i had to go somewhere)

today i went and sat in on a summer gen chem course a friend of mine teaches (trying to recap sorta before i hardcore review it)

basically i'm doing the bio section in the kaplan book 08 version. and waiting for my shaums outline of bio to arrive.
also reading the element of style by stunck/white to polish my reading/writing. (really good book recommended by my biochem professor who is also an MD) its short, to the point and really good overall.

in kaplan im around chapter 4-5.

going to spend most of the day after i finish my diagnostics @ barnes/starbucks reading kaplan.

Hi, thanks for the concern, but I sort of started studying already. I completed the kaplan ochem, gchem, math and PAT section already. By "completed" I mean I read the chapters and did the practice problems at the end. I will not be working or doing anything else before I take my DAT. I chose July 28 because I didn't want to take it too late as I was told by a councelor to take it before the first week of August.

haha no i'm not pulling your e-leg.
i'm trying to build up my study time. tommorow i plan on finishing the diagnostics (suspended it after the hard sciences because i had to go somewhere)

today i went and sat in on a summer gen chem course a friend of mine teaches (trying to recap sorta before i hardcore review it)

basically i'm doing the bio section in the kaplan book 08 version. and waiting for my shaums outline of bio to arrive.
also reading the element of style by stunck/white to polish my reading/writing. (really good book recommended by my biochem professor who is also an MD) its short, to the point and really good overall.

in kaplan im around chapter 4-5.

going to spend most of the day after i finish my diagnostics @ barnes/starbucks reading kaplan.

Well all's well. Its 1:34am EST. Just got done with chapter 9 in kaplan bio 08-09 version. I am doing 3 chapters a day. By friday I will finish bio and move on to Gchem. I am almost scared to move past bio because I do not particularly like chem but I am aiming for a 25 so I need as much time on chem as I can get. Wish me luck!! Tired as I don't know what!!! Ok sleep time.

Hi, thanks for the concern, but I sort of started studying already. I completed the kaplan ochem, gchem, math and PAT section already. By "completed" I mean I read the chapters and did the practice problems at the end. I will not be working or doing anything else before I take my DAT. I chose July 28 because I didn't want to take it too late as I was told by a councelor to take it before the first week of August.

Good to hear your doing well. I wonder why your councelor suggested doing the exam before first week of August? Well good luck, you sound like you are using the old Kaplan with white cover?? If thats it I would suggest upgrading to the Blue Book as its updated and comes complete with diagrams and more! Thanks for posting. :thumbup: :sleep::sleep::sleep:

I was told to begin working Destroyer questions while studying! Does it make sense to do that or just wait till I complete studying then go to the questions? Any suggestions?