DAT study guide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Victoria

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, which study guides have people found to be helpful for studying for the DAT's? Thanx :)

Members don't see this ad.

Taking the Kaplan course is only helpful if you're prepared to put in alot of outside work in addition to the review courses they offer. I took Kaplan during the fall semester of my junior year and I ended being swamped with work for my regular college classes. I then took the DAT in the summer and only used the Kaplan review books to study. Bottomline, I didn't do well the first time on the DAT's. This summer I studied once again for them,, this time I got this CD-rom called Proscore that has 3 full length exams which I used to prepare myself for the real DAT. You have to order this product through the internet, it's $40 but it's really worth it.. Go to www.dentaladmissiontest.com to look at the cd rom.

fierycosi, thanx for the tip! do you happen to know anything about Top Score program? I hear its tough but very helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey victoria,

what i found helpful was doing as many practice tests/problems as you can get your hands on. i took the kaplan prep course...lectures just glazed over the topics covered on the DAT, but their computer lab was superb--the simulated dat tests were so similar to the real thing that during the real test, i felt very relaxed cuz it seemed like i was just taking another practice test. the topscore cd is also useful...however, beware for there are soooo many mistakes in it...so i've found...also, the topscore cd's PAT section is nothing compared to the kaplan PAT practices. MANY MANY mistakes in the topscore PAT section among others...just a word of caution...good luck! :D

Glad to hear that the topscore is helpful. I have been using the Kaplan and Barron's books but I would like more practice. How long did you guys spend preparing for the exam before you took it? I am trying to figure out the best time for me. Thanks!

Hi,

I too took the kaplan course. You will only maximize the $999 class if you come to class prepared and if you go to the learning library and work the practice sets they have there. I also had the barron's book, but if you read previous posts, you'll see that the book has some errors in it.

I studied seriously for about a month, probably about 2-3 hrs each day. I kicked it into overdrive about 2 weeks before I took the DAT, probably studying about 2-3 hrs diligently, another 1-2 hrs not-so-diligently. The last 3 or 4 days before you take it, I would recommend no or only light studying (I tried to cram like mad, but I think it just freaked me out even more). Best advice would be to go to bed early and try to get good sleep before you take it!

good luck! :)