DAT study materials- i need help deciding what to buy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yrl

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already have the DAT Kaplan Blue Book.
I also have the MCATs examkrackers study guides and the 1001 questions for biology, chemistry, orgo and 101 verbal

Everyone talks about the destroyer books. there's 3 of them. I'm definitely getting the regular regular one. how useful is the math and orgo one though? I know it doesn't hurt to get it, but on a scale of 1-10, how much do you recommend both?
and the scholarware CD-rom. yes no?
and crack that pat. yes no?

what else?

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely suggest destroyer and crack dat pat. I bought destroyer math, but never used it. I've been told it is good though. Also, Bio Cliffsnotes is good. Also, try to get ahold of the kaplan flashcards from the class..these were essential for me.

For those of us who self-study, what is the recommended study schedule, frequency and duration of studying for DAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
get TOPscore.. i think that is the scholarware thing. my topscore DAT practice tests were a good representation of my actual DAT scores. there are only 3 practice tests, so I would suggest you take one now, to see where you stand, take one after studying a few weeks then take the last one a week before your actual DAT.

As for destroyer, i didn't use it and crackPAT is great too.

For those of us who self-study, what is the recommended study schedule, frequency and duration of studying for DAT?

I would take a practice test. Then you'll have a better idea.

I typically didn't study by a time schedule - I'd study a few concepts in chem (my main enemy) per day, until I could do practice problems of those types more easily. I'd also try to memorize a little new bio info daily. Some days, it was 2 hours, some days, it was 7-8 hours. When you feel like you've mastered concepts, try another practice exam. Repeat until you are satisfied.

For me, following a strict eat/sleep/study schedule would drive me crazy, but for others, it may work better. Find out what you should spend most of your time on though!