DAT study plan...amount of hours each day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cedgar737

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to start Dentalworks study plan in May and study for 7 weeks, dedicated solely to study. I had to alter it a little for some practice reading and a few practice tests. Does anyone have a guess how many hours of study a day like this would take? I read at an average pace and catch on/have fairly good memory.

Wednesday: Read Cliff’s AP biology chapter 2 (Cells). Read KBB’s Chapter 2 on Biology. Again, read these fast like a novel

Watch Chad’s GC videos (in HD) 2.1, and 2.2. Take necessary notes of formulas/important concepts. After each video, take the associated quiz.

Read Cliff’s AP biology chapter 2 again, and KBB’s chapter 2 on Biology. But like before, your going to read them a lot slower, taking notes and highlighting

Members don't see this ad.

Initially I looked at this study plan as doable, but to be honest with you my background in the chemistries was pretty bad, (so thank god to Chad's videos), I have learned a lot. My pace is very slow... It took me about a month to get notes/quizes and a descent understanding of the chems (orgo and Gen Chem). I did about 7 hrs a day, without weekends. If you are fresh with these subjects than it will go alot faster for you. I would probably suggest to take a bit longer to give yourself some room for practice exams and some breaks in between, also with destroyer I would try to do it at least 2x, just to make sure all the concepts are down and clear + allow time to memorize the road maps. I have read people here following this study plan but they've had to alter it a bit according to their scenario. I haven't taken the DAT yet and I can tell you that it has taken me alot longer than the 7 weeks.Good Luck!!

following dentalworks study guide was very tough.. i feel like you need to dedicate yourself to studying only. no working and no going out (which was very hard for me). I had to alter my study schedule as well.. its very time consuming. you need about 8+ hours a day in my opinion

Anyone else have an idea of how many hours of study a day the schedule above would take? I altered DentalWorks schedule to do more in one day and I am not sure if it will take 6, 8 or 10 hours a day. I am mostly concerned with it taking more than 10 hours a day. :/

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't study 8 hours straight a day. I think I would realistically be able to study 3 hours at a time...maybe 3 hours in the AM and 3 in the afternoon and maybe another 1-2 hours before bed.
I work, have kids and I'm in school full-time. I'm pretty screwed with my time but I know that it's possible to get it done somehow. I'm also taking 3 summer courses along with my DAT studying so wish me luck.

If I were you I would start with what you think is your weakest areas and get them down pat within the first few weeks. Then dedicate time to review maybe 2 subjects in the morning and 2 in the afternoon until you are ready for practice exams. Make sure you do practice exams way ahead of schedule so you can go back and review the ones you don't understand.

That is what I plan to do: Get up at 5 a.m.-workout and eat breakfast with wife, study from 8 - 12 noon, break from noon - 2 p.m., study from 2 - 6 p.m., eat dinner with wife and study from 8 - 10 p.m for 7 weeks. I think I can study like this for 7 weeks because I know I have to do well on the DAT. I guess as time goes by I will see if I can finish each day's schedule.