DAT Study Schedule & Materials? Kaplan Course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre-DentalND

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I'm going to begin studying for the DAT over spring break and hopefully will be ready to take by the first week of June or so. I plan on studying about 1 hour a day Monday - Friday with hopefully a couple hours each day on the weekend. The resources I plan on using are DAT Destroyer, Math destroyer, Chad's Videos (Which one?), Cliffs AP Bio 3rd Ed. PDF online, DAT Bootcamp, maybe datqvault and Feralis Biology Notes. Should I consider doing the Kaplan On-demand course too, even though it is a big investment? What is your impress/reviews on it? Which resources am I missing? Will I be prepared with that amount of time? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would defiantly study more than 1 hour a day. 1 hour doesn't go that far with the amount of material needed to cover for the DAT.

I would recommend getting DAT bootcamp and practicing your PAT with the generators every day. I also agree that 1 hour of studying a day is not enough if you want to score 20 or above.

Would 2 hours a day Monday - Friday and about 3-4 hours a day on Saturday & Sunday for about 3 months be sufficient?

Members don't see this ad :)
It partially depends on how good you study your sciences in undergrad. IMHO you need atleast 5 hours per day for 3 months. Don't do kaplan course. Go to this site and email them and they will give you a detailed guide you on how to study and ace it.
http://datbootcamp.com/

Good luck

5 hours a day for 3 months? Does that include any rest days or straight through? What is the typical common schedule and amount of hours for most people? I know it varies person to person but let's say a 21 AA.

Hey everyone, so I'm going to begin studying for the DAT over spring break and hopefully will be ready to take by the first week of June or so. I plan on studying about 1 hour a day Monday - Friday with hopefully a couple hours each day on the weekend. The resources I plan on using are DAT Destroyer, Math destroyer, Chad's Videos (Which one?), Cliffs AP Bio 3rd Ed. PDF online, DAT Bootcamp, maybe datqvault and Feralis Biology Notes. Should I consider doing the Kaplan On-demand course too, even though it is a big investment? What is your impress/reviews on it? Which resources am I missing? Will I be prepared with that amount of time? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

A lot depends on what type of student you are. What is your Science GPA, what school? If you already have a strong foundation less study time would be needed than a student with a weak foundation. Studying 1 hour per day and 2 on weekends would not be enough for most students. I also think it would impossible to finish the amount of materials you have listed in that amount of time. Feel free to private message me and I would be happy to offer some more advice.

The number 1 mistake I see students make is rush to take the DAT without being fully prepared. The DAT is not a test you want to take more than once.

Wishing you the best in your studies and on your DAT!

Nancy

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I have taken the Kaplan On-demand course. I am selling their bundle of books (Review notes, Lesson book, Flash cards) that comes with the course. If you are interested, let me know.

Last edited:
What is your impression/review of the Kaplan course? Worth it? I'm strongly considering it since I know it will keep me on track.

What is your impression/review of the Kaplan course? Worth it? I'm strongly considering it since I know it will keep me on track.
I personally don't think it was worth it.. You might want to take it if you want to learn strategies and need someone to ask questions. But you can also learn the strategies through the books. Also it depends on your Kaplan instructor, too. My Kaplan instructor was a dental student. He was busy with his own schedule so I didn't feel comfortable asking many questions. Everyone has different experiences and opinions. In my opinion, watching Chad's video would be enough.

The DAT is not a test you want to take more than once.

Yes, yes, 100% yes. It's better to be over prepared and crush it the first time than be underprepared and have to deal with it all over again.

Yes, yes, 100% yes. It's better to be over prepared and crush it the first time than be underprepared and have to deal with it all over again.

That's why I'm considering Kaplan so it will keep me on track more. I plan on supplementing it with DAT Bootcamp and Destroyer. I plan on really start studying a couple hours a day next week and continue until the beginning of June.

Is this considered cheap? :shrug:

That's why I'm considering Kaplan so it will keep me on track more. I plan on supplementing it with DAT Bootcamp and Destroyer. I plan on really start studying a couple hours a day next week and continue until the beginning of June.

We're already 25% in to March. So that leaves you April and May, and 3/4 of March. So 2.75 months. On top of that, your time is limited- just a few hrs a day- I think that your ROI would be higher by focusing on Destroyer and Bootcamp rather than using them as supplements.

I didn't touch Kaplan- I stuck to Destroyer and Bootcamp, and I am pleased with how I did on my DAT. Trust me- you don't need Kaplan to do well.

We're already 25% in to March. So that leaves you April and May, and 3/4 of March. So 2.75 months. On top of that, your time is limited- just a few hrs a day- I think that your ROI would be higher by focusing on Destroyer and Bootcamp rather than using them as supplements.

I didn't touch Kaplan- I stuck to Destroyer and Bootcamp, and I am pleased with how I did on my DAT. Trust me- you don't need Kaplan to do well.

Do you suggest just follow the DAT Bootcamp 10 week study schedule and stick with Cliffs Bio PDF, Chad's Videos, DAT Destroyer problems & DAT Bootcamp problems? I feel like that won't be enough.

Do you suggest just follow the DAT Bootcamp 10 week study schedule and stick with Cliffs Bio PDF, Chad's Videos, DAT Destroyer problems & DAT Bootcamp problems? I feel like that won't be enough.

I did all of those + Feralis Bio Notes (free online at DAT Bootcamp's website)+ Math Destroyer. You don't need to spend thousands of dollars on prep materials (like Kaplan for example) to do well on the DAT.

I did all of those + Feralis Bio Notes (free online at DAT Bootcamp's website)+ Math Destroyer. You don't need to spend thousands of dollars on prep materials (like Kaplan for example) to do well on the DAT.

Thanks a lot for your advice and suggestions. I really appreciate it. May I ask how long you studied for? Did you do well on the DAT?

Thanks a lot for your advice and suggestions. I really appreciate it. May I ask how long you studied for? Did you do well on the DAT?

I would say 5-6 hrs/day @ 6 days/week for 3-4 months will be plenty of time to review.
I am happy with how I did on the DAT.

I have taken the Kaplan On-demand course. I am selling their bundle of books (Review notes, Lesson book, Flash cards) that comes with the course. If you are interested, let me know.
is your kaplan account still active?
If yes please PM me