DAT taken today 3/30/2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manutd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know it's unusual to post 'not so great" scores on this site, but i'm gonna do it anyways to seek your advices and to bring hope to those that get traumatized by some of the ridiculous scores that are posted on this forum.

QR 16 :confused:
PAT 17
RC 17
BIO 19
G.CHEM 18
O. CHEM 18
Total science 18
Academic Average 18

I have 3.1 overall GPA and 3.2 science GPA and i also qualify for disadvantaged student since i came from one of the poorest countries on the planet 7 years ago. So what do you think my chances are and what do you think i should?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I know it's unusual to post 'not so great" scores on this site, but i'm gonna do it anyways to seek your advices and to bring hope to those that get traumatized by some of the ridiculous scores that are posted on this forum.

PAT 17
RC 17
BIO 19
G.CHEM 18
O. CHEM 18
Total science 18
Academic Average 18

I have 3.1 overall GPA and 3.2 science GPA and i also qualify for disadvantaged student since i came from one of the poorest countries on the planet 7 years ago. So what do you think my chances are and what do you think i should?

Thank you

You're not going to like it but you need to spend the next 3 months studying and retake the DAT. There is a slim chance that you may get in with those scores and GPA but I wouldn't risk it. Sitting out for a year means a lot of money in the end. Submit your app early in June and let AADSAS/prospective schools know you are retaking the DAT. Study hard and kill it.

May I ask what you did to study for it this time? How long and what products?

I kind of disagree w/alot of people on here about being screwed w/an 18 and sub par GPA. maybe i am biased b/c i am in a similar situation but, i personally know a guy who worked for patterson dental and a few other dental companies. this person took less than 60 hours over the last 4 years and got in with a 15! No $H!+.....this person took the dat well over 3 times and never scored AA better than 15. however, they did score higher in each section at random times but could never pull it all together. This person did not go to meharry, howard, b/c he is not qualified if you know what i mean. So study for it again b/c you shouldnt be satisfied w/18. If you are well rounded you should get a few interviews if you apply to the right schools.

Hey guys,

PAT 17
RC 17
BIO 19
G.CHEM 18
O. CHEM 18
Total science 18
Academic Average 18

Thank you

Well, your not totally screwed. If your a wealthy person, go a head and apply this coming june to 20+ schools and see what happens. If your resourses (money) are limited like most of us.... Its probably better for you take a year off from applying and just spend the next upcoming year doing a heavy 30 credit post-bacc. Try to 4.0 all these post-bacc courses cause they will bring up your overall and science GPA. Finally during this "year off" period, start preparing for a 2nd DAT.

Your DAT isn't bad at all... I just believe that EVERY PERSON in this world, as long as they have half a brain, can get ATLEAST a 20AA / 20TS with the proper amount of studying / preparing. Tell us what you used to study for the DAT, then we'll be able to tell you what you should use for your 2nd DAT

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys so much for the inputs and advices. to answer some of the questions you guys asked me, the materials i used;

KBB-one and half times
DAT destroyer- 2 and half times
Chad's videos - for gen and org chem
4 full Kaplan tests i got from a friend that took a Kaplan course

I focused mostly on the sciences when i study and didn't really do as much work for QR and PAT which clearly shows on the scores.

And to be honest with you guys, i live in reality and i knew i wasn't gonna get in to "decent" schools with my GPA even if i get a 25 all across. Although i do have lots of extra curricular stuff such as Red cross dental clinic volunteer, 2 year research, 4 year fraternity member with many leadership positions, hospital volunteer, and much much more other volunteer hrs not related to dentistry. with that do you guys think i have a shot at schools with lower GPA and DAT stat like Howard and Meharry (which are the schools i really wanna go to to begin with) or should i just try to do a postbac and retake the DAT?

Again thank you guys for the inputs

I suggest taking KAPLAN course online. It seems like you have a problem in perhaps- the fundamentals. Kaplan is solid for that.

Even though its pricey- 1200. It's worth it. It's your dental education- don't take any chances.

Thank you guys so much for the inputs and advices. to answer some of the questions you guys asked me, the materials i used;

KBB-one and half times

I focused mostly on the sciences when i study and didn't really do as much work for QR and PAT which clearly shows on the scores.

And to be honest with you guys, i live in reality and i knew i wasn't gonna get in to "decent" schools with my GPA even if i get a 25 all across. Although i do have lots of extra curricular stuff such as Red cross dental clinic volunteer, 2 year research, 4 year fraternity member with many leadership positions, hospital volunteer, and much much more other volunteer hrs not related to dentistry. with that do you guys think i have a shot at schools with lower GPA and DAT stat like Howard and Meharry (which are the schools i really wanna go to to begin with) or should i just try to do a postbac and retake the DAT?

manutd, If you got 25 across...forget about your GPA. You could be a 2.5 gpa and you'll get interviews. 25 across is a definite attention grabber!

With a 3.1, I would say most of us would need 20-22+ to get in a decent school of our choice. I knew a guy that got 17-18 and his gpa was only ok, that got in 6 yrs ago. Big difference these days! It's really competitive. I would say Retake and try to get in the 20+ range.

i personally know a guy who worked for patterson dental and a few other dental companies. this person took less than 60 hours over the last 4 years and got in with a 15! No $H!+.....

OU11BB: Where did he end up getting in and WHEN?

Also, I may be one of a few people on here who truly appreciate your Al Eschback avatar and quote = awesome.

How was the math question??? insanely difficult or you just didnt have time to finish. Were there more word problems than anyhing else and was the calculator useful? Imm sooo scared about math!!!

KBB-one and half times

Well, you used the right material. I think you should just try again, some people just get exam versions that have many questions from topics that they are naturally weak at. Try again with the DAT.

As far as Meharry / howard, those are not easy schools to get into ESSPECIALLY if your not a minority with some seriously messed up background...If your a non-minority, they are probably harder than harvard to get into lol.

Why don't you take the easier route (harder route = masters)... Do more post-bacc (try to 4.0 everything) and retake the test after you've taken some heavy upper level sciences. You gotta remember one thing, those upper level post-bacc courses are REALLY going to give you an automatic edge for the biology section of the DAT...

So here is your plan (in my opinion), apply this year to as many schools you see your self fit for. And meanwhile, throughout the Fall2010/spring2011 semesters, do your post-bacc. That way incase you don't get in this cycle, your post-bacc work is going to give you an edge for next year's cycle (summer 2011). Take your 2nd DAT after your done with your 1 year of post-bacc.

Its funny how some B8888 a88 |\|8888's who didnt even apply or didnt even take the DAT's are giving advice like they are some adcoms experts....

predentgal

the QR section was not really that bad and that's why i was EXTREMELY confused about the 16 because i have a decent math background and i felt like i got all the questions right (about 34 questions i answered due to the time constraint) and i was very confident that i did great but i ended up getting a 16. I thought the calculator would be time consuming but it is actually very useful.

dentalworks

Thanks a lot for you advices and yes i am actually a minority with a very disadvantage background (as in not just my color).

mrbeans

I used some old Kaplan practice tests and the bio was very useful but the gen and org chem was extremely overkill and way too hard compared to the real thing.

I found the math section to be alot easier with the calculator.. MY first time I got a 16, and my second time (couple days ago) I scored a 18.. You must know alot about percentages and conversions from one system to the next it felt like. But the calculator makes some calculations alot less time consuming, so use it.