DAT TEST DATES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vietgirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I plan to take the DAT in May, and turn in application in June. But since I know that we don't have to have both turn in at once, I think I will postpone my test date until June. Do you think it's a good idea,(what if I have to retake the test..) Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you're definitely not ready to take it, why rush things. It's definitely better to take some more time if you think it will help you. I'm not sure how fast the ADA processes the test scores and gets them out to the schools but I don't think that extra month will hurt you that much if at all. Schools usually don't review your app until your test scores are in. At worse, the scores will get to the schools in July but that's still early in the admissions timeline. Good luck!

Do DAT scores go directly to the schools from teh DAT center or do they go to AADSAS first, who look at it and send the whole package (w/ apps, letters of rec, etc) to the dental schools?

Hmm--do the AADsas send your app to the schools even if it isn't totally complete (eg, no dat scores yet)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, here's my experience from applying this past year. I think its relevant because I heard from most schools in early fall, ie sept. and nov. and was interviewed and accepted at three schools by the earliest possible date, Dec. 1.
1. Send in your application in June sometime. Don't kill yourself to get it in June 1 if you are not ready because your application will get to the schools by late august/september if submitted roughly by mid july. Schools don't really start looking at app's before than anyways. Their primary concern is with the new incoming class.
2. aadsas takes a while, call them often and make sure they have your stuff together. they will send things out as they receive them, so if your letters of rec. aren't sent out with your app, thats ok, they'll be sent most likely in the next batch.
3.Take the DAT's when you feel comfortable. If you have the summer off, take them whenever. It only takes two weeks for the DAT scores to be sent to the schools. I submitted my application on July 1 and took my DAT's in mid August, they both arrived at around the same time. This allowed me most of the summer to leisurely study for the DAT's-do what makes you feel comfortable.
4. Once you have confirmed your stuff is sent out by aadsas, look for postcards etc. from the schools saying they have received your info. often they will request money, or that you fill otu a secondary application. keep on top of the schools, don't bug them to death, but make sure you've done everything they want you to do in a timely manner. If all is going well, you should be able to schedule a few interviews in october and november and hear by dec 1 hopefully.
5.This is what I did, it worked very well for so hopefully it will help whoever is reading this.
6.ps: One thing that I found helpful was to space my interviews out. I was fortunate to interview at my top couple of choices early on. I got in on Dec 1 to my top choice (Tufts by the way) and then cancelled interviews i had arranged in december and january. I'm not saying this strategy is smart, or whatever, but i wanted to hear from my top choices first and not be forced to have to put a deposit down at one school while waiting to hear from another school.

mammasan,

When are schools able to inform you of acceptance? I thought I read that they could not inform you of your acceptance until Dec. or Jan. 1st. Am I mistaken?

THANKS!
datmatt