DAT third time breakdown!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalYogi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So over the past year I've taken the DAT 3 times and finally last week I felt proud with my results the third time.

First time scores - I was really nervous my first time. I didn't know what to expect and everything became a guessing game because I lost my train of thought.

1st time
PA-17
QR-14
RC-16
Bio-17
Gen chem-18
Orgo-20
TS-18
AA-17

The second time I took the exam was about 4 months after the first. I bombed the exam again because I was taking biochemistry that semester and put more focus into that class than into my DAT. I should have rescheduled but unfortunately did not. I took the DAT the day after my biochem final.

PA-20
QR-15
RC-18
Bio-16
Gen chem-15
Orgo-18
TS-17
AA-16

After my 2nd time I felt so defeated and was about to give up on my dental dreams. I've been wanting to be a dentist since I was a 3rd grader! I've been dental assisting for 8 years and know the clinical aspects of the practice. After a week of moping around feeling hopeless I decided to take the DAT one more time. I studied for a good 3 months. I started by reviewing my sciences with Chads Videos. He is the best!! Gen chem was always difficult for me in college but with chad, he really explained it in such a simple manner to understand. I used him to review for my Orgo as well and it good to brush up on my reactions. After I finished with chad I opened up the DAT DESTROYER. I've had this book since the 1st time I took the DAT but honestly speaking I was so intimidated by the questions because I couldn't answer them (especially for gem chem) so I didn't use it to my advantage. But I knew that was the key to practice everything I learned and I went through the gen chem section twice with much greater ease! For the bio section I didn't focus on the questions in the destroyer. What I did instead was read and underline the bio solution answers and used it as a big book of facts. If there was something I was unsure of I would search it or YouTube it. My last two weeks I started doing practice exams and was scoring well on the sciences. I didn't practice PA much or RC. I reviewed my QR using chads videos bur my DAT score for that section was the lowest. When you start dreaming of the things you're studying in your sleep, you know you're ready.

DAT scores 3rd time

PA-19
QR-16
RC-18
Bio-21
Gen chem-23
Orgo-25
TS-22
AA-21

My goal was to get a 30 (gotta aim high right?!) but I was satisfied with my 21 and my science scores since I've focused on that the most. My gpa is a 3.0 and I'm guessing my science gpa is 2.7. My dream school is NYU so hopefully this is enough to get me in.

Questions/comments are welcome of course!

Moral of the story: never give up on your dreams!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
So over the past year I've taken the DAT 3 times and finally last week I felt proud with my results the third time.

First time scores - I was really nervous my first time. I didn't know what to expect and everything became a guessing game because I lost my train of thought.

1st time
PA-17
QR-14
RC-16
Bio-17
Gen chem-18
Orgo-20
TS-18
AA-17

The second time I took the exam was about 4 months after the first. I bombed the exam again because I was taking biochemistry that semester and put more focus into that class than into my DAT. I should have rescheduled but unfortunately did not. I took the DAT the day after my biochem final.

PA-20
QR-15
RC-18
Bio-16
Gen chem-15
Orgo-18
TS-17
AA-16

After my 2nd time I felt so defeated and was about to give up on my dental dreams. I've been wanting to be a dentist since I was a 3rd grader! I've been dental assisting for 8 years and know the clinical aspects of the practice. After a week of moping around feeling hopeless I decided to take the DAT one more time. I studied for a good 3 months. I started by reviewing my sciences with Chads Videos. He is the best!! Gen chem was always difficult for me in college but with chad, he really explained it in such a simple manner to understand. I used him to review for my Orgo as well and it good to brush up on my reactions. After I finished with chad I opened up the DAT DESTROYER. I've had this book since the 1st time I took the DAT but honestly speaking I was so intimidated by the questions because I couldn't answer them (especially for gem chem) so I didn't use it to my advantage. But I knew that was the key to practice everything I learned and I went through the gen chem section twice with much greater ease! For the bio section I didn't focus on the questions in the destroyer. What I did instead was read and underline the bio solution answers and used it as a big book of facts. If there was something I was unsure of I would search it or YouTube it. My last two weeks I started doing practice exams and was scoring well on the sciences. I didn't practice PA much or RC. I reviewed my QR using chads videos bur my DAT score for that section was the lowest. When you start dreaming of the things you're studying in your sleep, you know you're ready.

DAT scores 3rd time

PA-19
QR-16
RC-18
Bio-21
Gen chem-23
Orgo-25
TS-22
AA-21

My goal was to get a 30 (gotta aim high right?!) but I was satisfied with my 21 and my science scores since I've focused on that the most. My gpa is a 3.0 and I'm guessing my science gpa is 2.7. My dream school is NYU so hopefully this is enough to get me in.

Questions/comments are welcome of course!

Moral of the story: never give up on your dreams!!

Congratulations DentalYogi! Amazing scores! I am so glad you didn't give up and also gave the DAT Destroyer a chance! The Destroyer is very challenging but so is the DAT! Dental schools will be impressed with your persistence and rise in DAT scores.

If you don't get into NYU it will not be because of your DAT Scores. Your science GPA is on the low side so I would put a lot of effort into your personal statement and with 8 years of dental assisting hopefully you will get an interview. You may want to call NYU or if you live in the area make an in person visit and hopefully find someone to discuss your situation. Always best to go in person if at all possible...You goal is to get the interview, once there you really need to shine!

Wishing you the best! Enjoy your summer, you deserve it.

Take care..Nancy

My GPA and sGPA are exactly the same as yours! I already had an interview my first time applying but I'm retaking the DAT. I hope I can do as well as you on Orgo!!! Take the summer easy buddy.