DAT: What to study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myameena

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all

Iv'e been going through the huge DAT bible that Kaplan has put out. I'm almost done with the inorganic part but there is just sooooo much to remember! Surely all those things can't be on the test! Could those of you who have taken the DAT please tell me the types of inorganic questions you had? redox rxn balancing?? Keq? Ksp?? H?? HELP! I don't think my brain can soak up EVERYTHING in there!

:(

Members don't see this ad.

Its all on there, plus some. Keep studing and you'll do great. Keep in mind that a average score on the DAT is not good enough to be accepted. If you put in the time it will pay off. Don't give up, that is what the average test applicant does.

Hey,

I love the General Chem. section on the DAT.....I got a 29!!!

Just so you know, you DO need to know everything in the kaplan book and then some. I used some MCAT materials to study for the DAT because they seemed more in depth and helped me to concentrate on the CONCEPTS of the problems. I do remember that my test had electrochemistry, acid/base problems, and a few redox reactions. I was dissapointed that I didn't get very many periodic trend questions, or stoichiometry, since that was my favorite part about G-chem; and probably the easiest parts.

Feel free to PM me about any further questions....I still have all my materials that I used to study; I need to get rid of them if anyone is interested.

Teething

Sorry to deliver the bad news, but for O-chem, you have to learn even more than that big kaplan book. (only if you want to score above 20). I used my big text book and studied all about resonance structure, how to find a stable structure (the DAT loves that section). All of the brand name reactions do show up. Lots of stuff to just remember. But if you look at them over and over again, you'll get it.
T