DAT, Where do I start????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDisrespect

Reaction score
My first post, and just joined the forums as I am preparing to study for my DAT exam. I'm having trouble "starting", and deciding where I should start. As of now I only have the Kaplan DAT Prep Plus & Lesson Book. I do plan on purchasing and utilizing DAT/Math Destroyer, Crack PAT, and Chad's Videos.

I guess my question is, WHEN do I start to utilize those other resources? Should I just start studying off the Kaplan Lesson and Prep book using an 8 week schedule? Or do I purchase/study starting with the other resources I mentioned and study the Kaplan material after?

ANY and ALL recommendations are very much appreciated, as I feel "stuck" and lost as to how to get it going as far as rhythm. Also have been looking at some schedules that I have found on this post, but if you recommend one that has worked for YOU, then please feel free to share!!! Thank you, and hope to hear from ya'll soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on when you’re planning to take your DAT my answer would vary. I did the Kaplan prep course first thinking it was the only study material I was going to use, then my DAT got cancelled due to Covid, and once I started getting back into full force studying again a month or so later, I realized that doing Kaplan in the way they set up their system alone wasn’t going to cut it. You need to be practicing several subjects a day (I tried to do 3 subjects a day, 2 hours each). With how Kaplan sets it up they have you doing different subjects per week in the course which is great for your first time around or just to get started. Once I completed the prep course and classes, I read through every chapter in the book for a second time and then began using other resources like chads prep and the free parts of dat bootcamp. So yes and no with Kaplan, you need to incorporate other material and also create a study plan in which you’re exposing yourself to several subjects every day (at least eventually).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Word of advice: Do not go into this thinking the DAT is impossible. With the right strategies, it is very possible to do very well. Don't be so focused on your studies that you forget to relax from time to time and enjoy yourself. If you have no other classes or obligations to deal with, you are in a great position to do that. At the minimum I always devoted at least 2 hours before bed to relax and wind down. I went in with this in mind so I was able to go into the test in a relaxed state of mind which I feel is important to success. Things will get tough but you need to believe you can work things through with the right approach. Don't be afraid to experiment and adapt your strategies as you study.

Personally, I did not have a schedule but I did have a list of things I needed to do and a log of performance such as practice test scores or my performance on DAT Destroyer. I also allowed myself 3 weeks for content review, 4 for 2 Destroyer passes, and 5 for practice tests and 1 additional full Destroyer pass and a partial pass. Within this rough schedule, I gave myself great flexibility to adjust my schedule and weekly tasks. This is important because you need to target your studies to your weaknesses.

Here is my Destroyer log. The yellow triangle over question number was for more in-depth notes in a comment box. I rarely look at them but I write them out anyways because mentally, it helps me remember things by thinking through them deeply. In a sense, I write notes to force myself to think about things as deeply as possible until it becomes intuitive. The notes on the right side are more for quick reference.

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 1.16.39 AM.png

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Word of advice: Do not go into this thinking the DAT is impossible. With the right strategies, it is very possible to do very well. Don't be so focused on your studies that you forget to relax from time to time and enjoy yourself. If you have no other classes or obligations to deal with, you are in a great position to do that. At the minimum I always devoted at least 2 hours before bed to relax and wind down. I went in with this in mind so I was able to go into the test in a relaxed state of mind which I feel is important to success. Things will get tough but you need to believe you can work things through with the right approach. Don't be afraid to experiment and adapt your strategies as you study.

Personally, I did not have a schedule but I did have a list of things I needed to do and a log of performance such as practice test scores or my performance on DAT Destroyer. I also allowed myself 3 weeks for content review, 4 for 2 Destroyer passes, and 5 for practice tests and 1 additional full Destroyer pass and a partial pass. Within this rough schedule, I gave myself great flexibility to adjust my schedule and weekly tasks. This is important because you need to target your studies to your weaknesses.

Here is my Destroyer log. The yellow triangle over question number was for more in-depth notes in a comment box. I rarely look at them but I write them out anyways because mentally, it helps me remember things by thinking through them deeply. In a sense, I write notes to force myself to think about things as deeply as possible until it becomes intuitive. The notes on the right side are more for quick reference.

View attachment 309641

Good luck!
Thank you so much for the advice! That was definitely helpful, and encouraging, as I started to study and prepare for the road ahead of me. My exam date i son 8/21, and am still looking for a legit schedule to base my time off of. I am content with one that I have found for now, but if you have a break down of your schedule, that would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much for the advice! That was definitely helpful, and encouraging, as I started to study and prepare for the road ahead of me. My exam date i son 8/21, and am still looking for a legit schedule to base my time off of. I am content with one that I have found for now, but if you have a break down of your schedule, that would be greatly appreciated!
My log did not include any dates nor is it chronological so it wouldn't help you. The best I can say is during my 1 month of content review, I spread out my time in all science subjects relatively evenly. I started reviewing QR equations at the last week of this first month. For the last month of studying, I was devoted to full lengths with about 2 full lengths per week for 3 weeks.

During my middle 1 month of studying with Destroyer, I also did PAT Booster tests, spaced out relatively evenly. In the last month of studying while doing full lengths, I would insert PAT Booster Time Booster tests in days between full length attempts.