DAT Winter Break Studying (5Weeks) 21AA: Materials/Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_moonchild

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just wanted to tell you guys the material I used to study for the DATs recently, and answers any questions :)
I know that during the winter break, most of us do not have as much time to study in between all the holidays; however, I was definitely able to study efficiently, enjoy the holidays, as well as utilize all my studying time to the max potential. With that note, everyone is completely different, but if any of you guys are wondering if it is possible to study for 5 weeks on winter break, it's definitely possible, and one of the best decisions I've made! :)

ALSO, I am not a great standardized test taker AT ALL, but studying for this exam felt much more relaxing than I anticipated.

Anyway, the main resources I used were:
DAT Bootcamp
DAT Destroyer
Math Destroyer
and Chad's Videos

BEFORE YOU BEGIN:
-I HIGHLY recommend taking a practice test. You can use Bootcamp's free trail Exam 1 or do the 2007 version. This just gives you an IDEA, about how the exam works, how long it feels, and what types of material there is. I

DURING THE SEMESTER:
If you can start studying in the semester, I say the only thing to really practice while in class is PAT. I used Bootcamp, which has a subscription for 90 days I think, but still worth it to get ahead and practice the PAT portion if you have time during the semester. That was one of my mistakes, and I wish I mainly focused on PAT in the semester rather than try and take practice exams every so often.

DURING WINTER BREAK:
-During break, I used Chad's to touch up on some Chemistry topics. I've been a supplemental instructor for Gen Chem 1 and OCHEM 1, so it really helped hone in the important information, as well as let me focus on any other chemistry topics. I HIGHLY advice watching his videos because he was incredibly spot on on how to tackle all the questions on the CHEMISTRY/ OCHEM portion.

-For the Destroyer, I mainly used them for Biology, and didn't get to use them so much for chemistry and ochem, but I do feel that you should definitely use it if you have time after watching Chad's. Also, as a discussion leader for Biol I, and finishing my courses in A&P and Biochemistry, it made studying for Biol SO MUCH EASIER. It was still hard on the actual DAT, but it was nice not feeling completely lost, so I highly recommend getting these courses out of the way first if you decide to only study during winter break!

-Math Destroyer kicked my ass, but was incredibly helpful. If you're weak on this, watch a bit of Chad's videos to see how to do them quickly, and just take a practice test every day or other day if you can!

-Finally Bootcamp was awesome in that the PAT and QR portion were spot on in my opinion. It really helped me get the additional practice I needed.

-NOW the BIG thing I emphasized in my study schedule, was doing mock exams and practice questions. I recommend saving Bootcamp exam once or twice a week, but I would actually mimic the exam using the Destroyer books. I did 90 ?s from Destroyer to mimic Natural Science, I used Math Destroyer for QR, and Bootcamp for PAT and RC. That made it so I was more used to taking a 4 hour test. During my last week, I did a practice test everyday from Bootcamp.

As you can see, the only review material I used was Chad's videos for Chem/Ochem/and some of QR. Otherwise, I didn't spend a lot of my time reviewing all the topics in the exam, but rather just constantly exposed myself to a bunch of practice questions and thoroughly reviewed each question after. I personally felt that by doing so, I felt prepared going into the exam despite it being 8AM (not a morning person at all), and I got sick the day before... Also, I always got started early and ended my day around 4/5PM, which let me spend a lot of time relaxing or hanging out with my family. Just make sure to give yourself some "you" time everyday because with this amount of time, it really can get stressful if you don't.

Anyway, if you guys have any questions, I'd be happy to answer you guys! :)

Members don't see this ad.

congrats on being done!! For bio-would you recommend briefly reviewing through Cliffs/Barron and then jumping into the DAT destroyer and learning through the practice problems? Just feel like their is so much to review and Ill learn most through getting things wrong haha

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,

I just wanted to tell you guys the material I used to study for the DATs recently, and answers any questions :)
I know that during the winter break, most of us do not have as much time to study in between all the holidays; however, I was definitely able to study efficiently, enjoy the holidays, as well as utilize all my studying time to the max potential. With that note, everyone is completely different, but if any of you guys are wondering if it is possible to study for 5 weeks on winter break, it's definitely possible, and one of the best decisions I've made! :)

ALSO, I am not a great standardized test taker AT ALL, but studying for this exam felt much more relaxing than I anticipated.

DAT Bootcamp
DAT Destroyer
Math Destroyer
and Chad's Videos

BEFORE YOU BEGIN:
-I HIGHLY recommend taking a practice test. You can use Bootcamp's free trail Exam 1 or do the 2007 version. This just gives you an IDEA, about how the exam works, how long it feels, and what types of material there is. I

DURING THE SEMESTER:
If you can start studying in the semester, I say the only thing to really practice while in class is PAT. I used Bootcamp, which has a subscription for 90 days I think, but still worth it to get ahead and practice the PAT portion if you have time during the semester. That was one of my mistakes, and I wish I mainly focused on PAT in the semester rather than try and take practice exams every so often.

DURING WINTER BREAK:
-During break, I used Chad's to touch up on some Chemistry topics. I've been a supplemental instructor for Gen Chem 1 and OCHEM 1, so it really helped hone in the important information, as well as let me focus on any other chemistry topics. I HIGHLY advice watching his videos because he was incredibly spot on on how to tackle all the questions on the CHEMISTRY/ OCHEM portion.

-For the Destroyer, I mainly used them for Biology, and didn't get to use them so much for chemistry and ochem, but I do feel that you should definitely use it if you have time after watching Chad's. Also, as a discussion leader for Biol I, and finishing my courses in A&P and Biochemistry, it made studying for Biol SO MUCH EASIER. It was still hard on the actual DAT, but it was nice not feeling completely lost, so I highly recommend getting these courses out of the way first if you decide to only study during winter break!

-Math Destroyer kicked my ass, but was incredibly helpful. If you're weak on this, watch a bit of Chad's videos to see how to do them quickly, and just take a practice test every day or other day if you can!

-Finally Bootcamp was awesome in that the PAT and QR portion were spot on in my opinion. It really helped me get the additional practice I needed.

-NOW the BIG thing I emphasized in my study schedule, was doing mock exams and practice questions. I recommend saving Bootcamp exam once or twice a week, but I would actually mimic the exam using the Destroyer books. I did 90 ?s from Destroyer to mimic Natural Science, I used Math Destroyer for QR, and Bootcamp for PAT and RC. That made it so I was more used to taking a 4 hour test. During my last week, I did a practice test everyday from Bootcamp.

As you can see, the only review material I used was Chad's videos for Chem/Ochem/and some of QR. Otherwise, I didn't spend a lot of my time reviewing all the topics in the exam, but rather just constantly exposed myself to a bunch of practice questions and thoroughly reviewed each question after. I personally felt that by doing so, I felt prepared going into the exam despite it being 8AM (not a morning person at all), and I got sick the day before... Also, I always got started early and ended my day around 4/5PM, which let me spend a lot of time relaxing or hanging out with my family. Just make sure to give yourself some "you" time everyday because with this amount of time, it really can get stressful if you don't.

congrats on the score! feel free to pm me if you have any questions about applying

How did you access Chas's videos? Did you pay for the videos through course saver, or did you go right to his website?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! You aced the test over winter break, not an easy thing to do! You should be pretty proud, enjoy relaxing until application time :)

Reactions: 1 users
congrats on being done!! For bio-would you recommend briefly reviewing through Cliffs/Barron and then jumping into the DAT destroyer and learning through the practice problems? Just feel like their is so much to review and Ill learn most through getting things wrong haha
I personally did not use Cliffs/Barron; however, I've heard that it was really useful. In my opinion, I would go straight into Destroyer, with every question and answer, use any notes(whether it's Cliffs, Barron's, Class notes, Bootcamp, etc) to help you understand why it's the answer, but also what do the other answers mean. I stress that it's really good that whatever you seem to not know or not sure why that answer would be an answer choice, look it up, because it's basically learning the kind of questions you'll get but also the answers you'll get associated with that topic.

How did you access Chas's videos? Did you pay for the videos through course saver, or did you go right to his website?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I used CourseSaver. I heard he does have his own website or something like that, but on couseSaver, when you buy the subscription, there's a sub topic for specifically DAT type videos. So all topics in that topic and DAT related. I'm not too sure about his website, but from what I heard, it's more general and less tailored to the DAT.

Hi guys,

DAT Bootcamp
DAT Destroyer
Math Destroyer
and Chad's Videos

BEFORE YOU BEGIN:

DURING THE SEMESTER:

DURING WINTER BREAK:

Hi guys,

DAT Bootcamp
DAT Destroyer
Math Destroyer
and Chad's Videos

BEFORE YOU BEGIN:

DURING THE SEMESTER:

DURING WINTER BREAK:

Congratulations! You had a fantastic study plan and stuck to it. Must students are not able to accomplish this in such a short time, a lot depends on the skill level of the student and dedication to a plan.

I am just curious and would you mind posting all your scores, including your TS score. Also what is your science GPA. Individual scores are important too.

Wishing you the best and we are happy you felt our materials helped you achieve success.

Take care..Nancy

Congratulations! You had a fantastic study plan and stuck to it. Must students are not able to accomplish this in such a short time, a lot depends on the skill level of the student and dedication to a plan.

I am just curious and would you mind posting all your scores, including your TS score. Also what is your science GPA. Individual scores are important too.

Wishing you the best and we are happy you felt our materials helped you achieve success.

Take care..Nancy

Thank you very much! It definitely did! Very satisfied with the purchase and definitely worth it! :)

My breakdown is:
BIOL:19
CHEM:20
OCHEM:19
PAT:18
RC:21
QR:23
TS:20
AA:21

I'll update this tho BC this was based off of memory BC I don't have my sheet with me at the moment! :)

Also my science GPA is a 4.0.

Thank you very much! It definitely did! Very satisfied with the purchase and definitely worth it! :)

My breakdown is:
BIOL:19
CHEM:20
OCHEM:19
PAT:18
RC:21
QR:23
TS:20
AA:21

I'll update this tho BC this was based off of memory BC I don't have my sheet with me at the moment! :)

Also my science GPA is a 4.0.
Great scores! Wow, 4.0 SPA, that will stand out!