Date residents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sohalia

namaste
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So are medical students allowed to date residents? Openly?

Members don't see this ad.

If you aren't doing a rotation with them, then it's OK. Residents do have a role in grading med students, so it's not ok (usually against the rules, and even if it wasn't it's not advisable) if you are doing a rotation with them.

Bad idea. Even if you aren't in the same rotation, there is always the chance that you migh tend with them some time in 3rd or 4th year....even residency. Its a good thing if the relationship is good. But it will be extremely bad if it turns sour...can you imagine what kind of grades you might get if you get graded by a bitter ex? BEtter to stay away from that kind of thing and look for other people to date.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you ask? ;)

Short answer: If there is a conflict of interest, then the answer is no.

In my class, I know several people who are dating or are married to residents. This is not as uncommon as you might think. :D

There are generally no rules against it, except in the case of residents dating students on their service (in which case there may not even be strict regulations, just guidelines or "suggestions"). I'm fairly sure its pretty common, although many male residents in particular are already married, and their wives generally frown upon their spouses dating! ;)

I have always been of the opinion that it is an innapropriate relationship, akin to the restrictions b/w enlisted soldiers & officers in the military, especially during 3rd year rotations. I remember as a student how a number of my classmates felt that it was unfair some girls seemed to be serially dating the residents on their rotations & recieving "disproportionate" grades. As a resident, I can tell you that while you may certainly take notice of attractive students on your service, you will take a certain amount of grief from fellow residents if you openly pursue these relationships and potentially face sanctions from the program you work for if their are problems or complaints. I think that for 4th year students, these lines b/w residents-students are less clear, & MAYBE under those circumstances you might date a student.

If he's fine why the hell not?!!! Heck, he might help you get into the residency program that he works at. ;)

Originally posted by CANES2006
If he's fine why the hell not?!!! Heck, he might help you get into the residency program that he works at. ;)

:eek: ...oh my

WOW..what people will do to reach their goals. She might as well start dating the attendings, all the residents etc.:eek:

Cool it, people... How much is the chance that the resident that a guy/gal is dating would be grading them? And since only our professors grade us here, I would say the possibility is close to nil.

Of course there is the issue of favourism, but I guess that happens only once in a while even over there...

Originally posted by Dr. MAXY

WOW..what people will do to reach their goals. She might as well start dating the attendings, all the residents etc.:eek:

Thanks! That's not a bad idea. I might just do that.:p

Guys relax. I was just joking (that's why I put the winky face). I would never date anyone to get ahead. I am a firm believer of working hard to get what you want. I hated people who got all kinds of hand me downs and used all sorts of connections to get ahead in college and into medical school. I've lost all respect for these people.

I am a firm believer of working hard to get what you want. I hated people who got all kinds of hand me downs and used all sorts of connections to get ahead in college and into medical school. I've lost all respect for these people.

Well I don't have any connections to speak of but if I did I would use anything I could to help me get into med school, and I wouldn't feel any shame about it at all.

Originally posted by Long Hair and a Beard
Cool it, people... How much is the chance that the resident that a guy/gal is dating would be grading them? And since only our professors grade us here, I would say the possibility is close to nil.

Perhaps that is the case in India, but here we DO evaluate the students and most of the time have a fair bit of input into the Attending's evals as well (since we spend more time with the student than they do). Therefore, IMHO the issue of possible grade inflation/deflation based on a student's dating habits is REAL.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Spidey

Well I don't have any connections to speak of but if I did I would use anything I could to help me get into med school, and I wouldn't feel any shame about it at all.

WOW, this reminds me of my best buddy and I. During the application process, I mentioned that I will do anything (no matter the circumstances) to get into med school. Then he asked me " what if an ugly adcom member ask you to sleep with her to get in, or what if they ask you to drink some cow-dung-juice"
Well by then, I was desperate to get in, hence I answered in the affirmative for both scenerios.

found this old but mildly interesting thread.. what are the etiquette rules once you have finished working with someone on a rotation? should you wait until the grade is submitted to express interest in possibly dating the resident, or not even bother at all? one of the surgery residents and I got along great while I was on the rotation but never took anything further b/c it is obviously not appropriate to date your supervisor. I'd like to get in touch with him just to say hello and try to gauge if any mutual interest is still present (and if not that's OK), but don't want to do or say anything inappropriate that might upset the other residents (who were very good to me as well) or seriously jeopardize my grade. there is NO chance of him supervising me in the future, BTW. por favor, help.

A fellow student of mine was in the same situation as you. She contacted the resident after the rotation was over. At our school, residents fill out evals at the end of the rotation, and then it's all up to the course director to sift through exam grades and evals to come up with a final grade. With this student, she saw the resident in the cafeteria not long after the rotation was over, they had lunch, and things went from there... :)

As for whether to date residents or not...many female students in my class have dated residents without any repercussions. Of course, the residents were not evaluating them at the time. The school is explicit about not have having relationships with residents who are evaluating you.

:)
caffeinegirl

I think its kind of funny the way we're graded... No one gets to know medical students more than the residents, on an academic as well as a personal level. However, while they do have input into our grades, it always seemed like their input didn't matter for crap, and the attendings, who rarely ever saw us were the ones who passed final judgement. Then again, I guess they probably also see residents as the student's older brothers and sisters, not so far removed from their situation, and therefore tending to inflate evaluations. I don't know, I'm just thinking... But if I had a chance to date some of my residents, I wouldn't think twice about conflict of interest, or any other obstacle, I'd finally be able to say I bagged a doctor!

Seriously, I think it depends on the situation. My husband and I were engaged while he was doing his first year of residency at our school and I was a third year. I think our situation was a little different, because we started dating while we were both students, and then he graduated and moved on to residency before me because he was two years ahead. The reason why I brought this up is beause I just wanted to emphasize that it is not ALWAYS inappropriate, particularly if you had a relationship beforehand. In a case like this, it would be advisable to request to not be assigned to a team where your dating partner/significant other would be in a position to evaluate you. (Most departments would go to great lengths to avoid this anyway, at least my school did.)

All of the cute med student ladies can date me all they want. I'm a radiology resident and we don't grade the med students. Stop by anytime!:D

Originally posted by Sohalia
So are medical students allowed to date residents? Openly?

As a single resident, I strongly support the policy of dating medical students, whether they are on your service or not.
:clap:

INTERESTINGLY...

I propose that dating up by female medical students is more prevalent than dating up by male medical students.

I think it is the power, knowledge, and confidence that women are attracted to in residents.

On the other hand, male med students are MALES period. They will date anything that moves.

Originally posted by DW
"date"......interesting word choice ;)

nice catch. This is a family run operation by Dr. Mom so I had to use a little wordplay. :laugh: