Dating a circulator -> asking for trouble?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dating a circulator?

I guess it depends on how much she circulates and whether or not she's been using proper contact precautions along the way...

Members don't see this ad.

75516_o.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we have a progress update?

BTW, I second the request for pics. As you know, the Vicky Mendoza Diagonal requires assessments of BOTH her hotness AND craziness. How do you expect us to make an informed decision?

Do we have a progress update?

BTW, I second the request for pics. As you know, the Vicky Mendoza Diagonal requires assessments of BOTH her hotness AND craziness. How do you expect us to make an informed decision?

Wait, you're saying her level of hotness is the sole determinant of whether i should risk pursuing her or not? i'm not familiar with this "vicky mendoza scale" of which you speak, but i get the gist of it. my hope is that the object of my desire is an outlier that would have been tossed from the data - sadly i suspect many of you cynics are right and such women don't exist. but if i really thought she was just a pretty face, i wouldn't bother with her; it aint worth the time and headache.

unfortunately, i do not have a picture of her. what am i supposed to do - tell her to stop mid-foley catheterization so i can snap her photo?? like that won't broadcast "creepy" :scared: signals for miles.

btw, what's with you guys saying "don't sh&t where you eat." i get WHY you're saying it, but how many of you can honestly claim you'd have the discipline to ignore a good-looking woman with whom you feel a (seemingly) mutual attraction - especially when you work so closely with her?

at this point, there really isn't much of an update but i've decided that dating her would be an acceptable risk for me. i'm just gonna bide my time for now, try to get to know her a little better - and watch for any signs of craziness. will update if things progress.

ADDENDUM:
oh, also based on some of the advice given out here, it seems like guys in general don't admit when they need/are seeking companionship. i dunno maybe we think it makes us seem weak or emasculated. i'm not looking for a quick tumble in the sack:

#1 i'm not that type of guy
#2 i have no desire to sow my wild oats (too old for that nonsense)
#3 i require companionship

ok, you can make fun of me for saying that. i love internet anonymity.

Last edited:
I actually think most of the crazy/hot stuff is just for comedy. As far as dipping your pen in the company ink, I think people are just expressing concerns about possible workplace harassment risks, as well as the awkwardness that is sure to result in the event a relationship were to begin and end. Where awkwardness = pain (in the event she left you for someone else and you'd have to see her every day knowing she was with another dude) or awkwardness = embarrassment (in the event you end it with her and she gossips about the more unfavorable parts of your relationship performance).

And for the record, I HAVE dated in the hospital as a resident and fellow (an RN here and there, and various levels of trainees), never as an attending, and for the most part, it worked out well. The one exception being an ending that lead to the first category of awkwardness.

For the love of god go talk to her. Report back when you have accomplished this initial task.
You sound like a really nice guy. What you are not getting is a very simple fact: finding a companion is like finding a compatible residency program. You have to apply widely (talk to them), interview at many (date them), and match at the one which provides the best mutual fit (LTR+).
Right now, what you are doing is holding your application in your hand, for submission to one, single program that you think you'd like to attend, and expecting it to be a great fit. This is not how it works. Just go, talk to her, submit your freakin' application.
Who knows, maybe you won't even get an interview. Maybe you would find that she is not a good fit. Who knows, you might make a friend. Actually, just make friends. The biggest mistake is to build a whole personality profile of someone before ever talking to her.
GO TALK TO HER.

Last edited:
Great. Snap a picture while she is holding another man's c*ck. Really classy.

Talk to her. Then pretend to check your phone.

Last edited:
Wait, you're saying her level of hotness is the sole determinant of whether i should risk pursuing her or not? i'm not familiar with this "vicky mendoza scale" of which you speak, but i get the gist of it. my hope is that the object of my desire is an outlier that would have been tossed from the data - sadly i suspect many of you cynics are right and such women don't exist. but if i really thought she was just a pretty face, i wouldn't bother with her; it aint worth the time and headache.

unfortunately, i do not have a picture of her. what am i supposed to do - tell her to stop mid-foley catheterization so i can snap her photo?? like that won't broadcast "creepy" :scared: signals for miles.

btw, what's with you guys saying "don't sh&t where you eat." i get WHY you're saying it, but how many of you can honestly claim you'd have the discipline to ignore a good-looking woman with whom you feel a (seemingly) mutual attraction - especially when you work so closely with her?

at this point, there really isn't much of an update but i've decided that dating her would be an acceptable risk for me. i'm just gonna bide my time for now, try to get to know her a little better - and watch for any signs of craziness. will update if things progress.

ADDENDUM:
oh, also based on some of the advice given out here, it seems like guys in general don't admit when they need/are seeking companionship. i dunno maybe we think it makes us seem weak or emasculated. i'm not looking for a quick tumble in the sack:

#1 i'm not that type of guy
#2 i have no desire to sow my wild oats (too old for that nonsense)
#3 i require companionship

ok, you can make fun of me for saying that. i love internet anonymity.

First off, here is how you impress her:

Walk into the hospital carrying a motorcycle helmet (whether you ride or not). This will let her see an element of danger in your demeanor.

Wear scrubs that show her just a little bit of ankle and have an ankle tattoo (temporary tattoo is enough) visible. That lets her know that you have a freaky side.

When you talk to her and she responds...walk away in the middle of her sentence for no apparent reason. This will show her that you ain't gonna take no crap.

One day, show up to the hospital wearing a long scarf wrapped around your neck like Charles Lindbergh. This will show her that you have unpredictable fashion sense and don't care what anyone else thinks.

After a few days of this, you will have to beat her back with a stick.

:laugh: now I have this picture of a guy in scrubs with an ankle tattoo wearing a flowing white silk scarf. Definitely will need that helmet to anchor masculinity ;)

Honestly, regarding fashion advice just stuff rolls of socks into your crotch area. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
so the OP hasn't done more than steal mutual glances with the circulator?

ohmy.

no, it isn't like that. i HAVE spoken and DO speak to her (how can i not - i'm an anesthesiologist and she's an OR nurse, some of you guys seem to not understand how that works) but so far have kept it professional. i've tried to veer away from any conversations on a personal level because as i indicated in my original post, i have been conflicted and reluctant about the idea of dating someone with whom i work so closely. for example, pretty much every non-doctor in the OR calls me Dr. "Leaverus," would i be out of line if i told her she can call me by my first name when none of her colleagues do?

wait, girls DON'T have cooties? what the hell did i have to get all those shots for?!

First off, here is how you impress her:

Walk into the hospital carrying a motorcycle helmet (whether you ride or not). This will let her see an element of danger in your demeanor.

Wear scrubs that show her just a little bit of ankle and have an ankle tattoo (temporary tattoo is enough) visible. That lets her know that you have a freaky side.

When you talk to her and she responds...walk away in the middle of her sentence for no apparent reason. This will show her that you ain't gonna take no crap.

One day, show up to the hospital wearing a long scarf wrapped around your neck like Charles Lindbergh. This will show her that you have unpredictable fashion sense and don't care what anyone else thinks.

After a few days of this, you will have to beat her back with a stick.

This is only going to work if you bring her a dozen donuts.... without using your hands. And if you can carry your motorcycle helmet AND a dozen donuts without using your hands, you don't have to worry about the rest. Try it. It worked for me.

This is only going to work if you bring her a dozen donuts.... without using your hands. And if you can carry your motorcycle helmet AND a dozen donuts without using your hands, you don't have to worry about the rest. Try it. It worked for me.

only a dozen? amateur.

Psssstttt. Don't eat the cream filled...pass it down.

To Leaverus,
Best of luck in your pursuit. I can identify with you on wanting companionship. I got married less than a year ago, and having a compatible and fun mate/companion is a good feeling. Like you said, some dudes may play the hard role and say they don't care for a chick. When I was single I enjoyed it, but over time I became ready for something new. Glad for you that you know what you want. Hopefully it goes well for you.

*sigh* :(

Dont ask, guys. Please just don't ask. I shoulda listened to the guys that said don't get involved at work. Strict policy from now on: i will never consider another woman with whom i work again. At least i didn't put my reputation/career on the line.

Dont ask, guys. Please just don't ask. I shoulda listened to the guys that said don't get involved at work. Strict policy from now on: i will never consider another woman with whom i work again. At least i didn't put my reputation/career on the line.

Did things go hostile or just level 7 awkward?

34428412.jpg

Buck up man. She's one of many.

Bro what happened? You alright? Good to hear your career not compromised.

Told you so. I hope you learned a valuable lesson.

Sorry, guy.

Not all betches be crazy, but a lot of them are :oops: