Dating an ED nurse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Speed Racer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I am about 2 inches away from asking out a nurse that works in my ED.
I know its probably a horrible idea but....she is really hot and despite the chaos of my ED, she is always smiling and laughing and just plain fun! Just wanted to hear some people's stories/nightmares to dissuade me from asking her out.

The only other time I crapped where I ate went horribly wrong, but it was far enough in the past that I've forgot the sting.

Members don't see this ad.

There was a long discussion about this last year and the consensus was: "Stay away at all costs!" I don't have any personal experience with this but judging from your previous experience and the way you phrase the statement, it seems like you already know what you SHOULD do. :)

This also depends on how much longer you are going to be in this ED - if you are a resident and about to graduate in the spring, sure, do it - you have an escape plan set up for about the time she starts acting serious or things have gone horribly awry. Otherwise, don't do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
This also depends on how much longer you are going to be in this ED - if you are a resident and about to graduate in the spring, sure, do it - you have an escape plan set up for about the time she starts acting serious or things have gone horribly awry. Otherwise, don't do it.

I agree. If you are a resident, and she is hot, might as well, as the risk is small. If you end up hating each other you will be gone in 1-2 years anyway.

My gf is an ED nurse. We have decided to never ever work in the same ED at all costs =p Just seems like things could get weird very fast, even if the relationship is good.

That said, my ob/gyn attending (also a certified sex therapist) recommending asking colleagues out if you're not going to be there much longer. His reasoning was that if it's going to be weird, it'll be weird for a short time. and if it's going to be good, you get a few weeks of lots of fun (please no ER or Grey's scenes ;)) before things get serious or go bad, whichever direction you go in

Hey Speed Racer,

You are in quite a dilemma. No you should never play where you work. I think I could help you. Where do you work and what is this hot nurse's schedule, so that I may take her off your hands and you won't have to deal with this awful awful problem!

Hey Speed Racer,

You are in quite a dilemma. No you should never play where you work. I think I could help you. Where do you work and what is this hot nurse's schedule, so that I may take her off your hands and you won't have to deal with this awful awful problem!

I'm at the University of Arkansas program. Her name is Bernice and her hobbies include Cookie baking and cookie eating. She will be easy to find as she has the only hot pink motorized scooter in the ED.

I really appreciate it Chulo.

Hello there. After working in 3 ERs for about 4 years, I have seen this happen, and only bad things came of it... very bad things. Your situation may be different (for your sake I hope it is), but tread carefully. Things can get horribly messy if things don't work out right.

Sorry to be the "buzz kill" here, but if your intentions are 'dishonorable' :cool: you'd be an idiot. If she is the 'honorable' type and you have it in you, it could be something quite good.:love:

Sorry to be the "buzz kill" here, but if your intentions are 'dishonorable' :cool: you'd be an idiot. If she is the 'honorable' type and you have it in you, it could be something quite good.:love:

No buzzkill to worry about,

My intentions are entirely dishonorable and and the inevitable post-coital crapstorm that would ensue would be of high entertainment value as my usual MO is to suck them in all nice and sweet like, speak casually about my desire to settle down and make 5 babies with a wonderful woman who isn't interested in working too hard. Then after their three month expiration date is up, trade them in for the next slightly: Younger, hotter, more sexually liberal version. You know...just the normal progression of dating. :D

I've never heard if put quite so succinctly...

Your original post almost sounded as though you were thinking about her more like a human and less like a rack of ribs - this is how goals and objectives go unmet.

(I'm fully married and thus can't really mean that).

Last edited:
Hello friends,

I know its probably a horrible idea but....she is really hot and despite the chaos of my ED, she is always smiling and laughing and just plain fun! Just wanted to hear some people's stories/nightmares to dissuade me from asking her out.

The only other time I crapped where I ate went horribly wrong, but it was far enough in the past that I've forgot the sting.

You only live once. It's a terrible idea, but what the heck....go for it. May even work for you.

No buzzkill to worry about,

My intentions are entirely dishonorable and and the inevitable post-coital crapstorm that would ensue would be of high entertainment value as my usual MO is to suck them in all nice and sweet like, speak casually about my desire to settle down and make 5 babies with a wonderful woman who isn't interested in working too hard. Then after their three month expiration date is up, trade them in for the next slightly: Younger, hotter, more sexually liberal version. You know...just the normal progression of dating. :D

Now I definitely agree. :thumbup::thumbup:

Dude, I have a really good feeling about this. In fact, I'm gonna go out on a limb a little and, even though I have never met you or her, I think she's the one. For real.

Hello friends,

Speed, just out of curiosity, why are you jumping ship from EM to gas? I couldn't help but find your post in the gas forum and it sounds like you're only an EM1, so I was just curious what went wrong during your intern year?

Hopefully this isn't an example of what can happen when dating an ED nurse goes terribly wrong... :D

Speed, just out of curiosity, why are you jumping ship from EM to gas? I couldn't help but find your post in the gas forum and it sounds like you're only an EM1, so I was just curious what went wrong during your intern year?

Hopefully this isn't an example of what can happen when dating an ED nurse goes terribly wrong... :D

Nothing went "wrong".... I frankly was concerned about money and longevity. I look around my dept. and I see a lot of young attendings who are dissatisfied and even with their reduced clinical hours in the academic setting, they are trying to find ways to reduce it further.

I'm really concerned that EM might be a sucky way to earn a dollar and that there may be better options.

And my last post was facetious people....