Dating atmosphere in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know. I hope I am wrong. It's just that as I get to know single female classmates more. Being top in the class was one of their common criteria. Of course this was not the only criterion though but surely it was an important one. While non-med school girls have lower standards, so being in the med school was one of their important criteria. Some became less flirty after learning how long it takes for me to make money. So I always have the common answer to all girls that I go date with: I am going into Orthopod and will finish med school in 3 years.

You are interacting with the wrong girls if these are the responses you are seriously getting.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You are interacting with the wrong girls if these are the responses you are seriously getting.

well that doesn't bother me. Meeting more girls certainly improve our eyes to sort bad ones and good ones.
Usually after bad tutorials, I learn more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Trying to live in a mansion of loneliness, there TP? I bet that everyone here arguing against having a spouse will end up married someday, or in a civil union or whatever. Probably kids as well.
Been married, been single, currently dating- I'm plenty happy with all of the above. True happiness doesn't come from things or people, it comes from within.

And don't even get me started on children- there's a lot of research that shows that people without children are actually as happy, and in some cases happier, than those with children. One of the most interesting studies I've read on the subject showed that those with children actually say they are happy despite the portions of their brain signaling unhappiness firing while doing so- basically they're lying to themselves. There is no proof that children make you happy, but plenty of proof to the contrary.

Reactions: 2 users
Troof
I want a mansion in Greenwich, a fennec fox, a mini horse, an african grey parrot, a garage full of fancy cars, overflowing closets full of bags and SHOOZ and dresses, and oh..I guess someone to share it all with :D :D

Seriously? You can have my fiance's if you want it. Crazy thing never shuts up...

Been married, been single, currently dating- I'm plenty happy with all of the above. True happiness doesn't come from things or people, it comes from within.

And don't even get me started on children- there's a lot of research that shows that people without children are actually as happy, and in some cases happier, than those with children. One of the most interesting studies I've read on the subject showed that those with children actually say they are happy despite the portions of their brain signaling unhappiness firing while doing so- basically they're lying to themselves. There is no proof that children make you happy, but plenty of proof to the contrary.

Yup. I tried to explain this to ark once upon a time. Telling yourself you'll be happy when you have a spouse, or a kid, or a house, or the perfect job.... it's a trap. There will always be someone/something else you want, so I think it's better to try and focus on happiness in the moment. And when it comes to relationship happiness I'm going to go ahead and quote ru paul on this - If you can't love yourself, how in the hell are you gonna love somebody else???

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
You don't need a SO to be happy, having the marriage 2.5 kids and a house in the suburbs isn't what everyone wants.

The bank usually owns that house in the suburbs until that last payment. Marriage is a trap, and with things like Tinder and all those other online dating and "friend sites" why bother.

That's interesting, I have never heard that before. Just out of curiosity, do you know the age demographic on those tested in that study? I can imagine that a younger population would skew the data given that it's pretty easy to think of kids as nothing more than a burden while you're younger. They're expensive, whiny, and require constant attention. Most people our age want to enjoy the prime of their life for themselves, which is that's totally fine if that's your M.O.

At the moment I wouldn't hesitate at all to say I'm glad I have a child, even if research says I'm just lying to myself. I would speculate the feeling of appreciation for those kids greatly increases as one gets older (particularly into retirement age). It also takes a level of selflessness that many just haven't had the years to acquire yet, which even I don't claim to fully possess. Like many other endeavors in life, it's an investment that many people make and hope it pays off (like going to med school). If it were as truly awful as you claim, you would never see a family with more than 1 child lol.

And just for the record this is all coming from someone who has always hated other people's kids, and still do.

Yup. I tried to explain this to ark once upon a time. Telling yourself you'll be happy when you have a spouse, or a kid, or a house, or the perfect job.... it's a trap. There will always be someone/something else you want, so I think it's better to try and focus on happiness in the moment. And when it comes to relationship happiness I'm going to go ahead and quote ru paul on this - If you can't love yourself, how in the hell are you gonna love somebody else???

Well said!

1) Having a significant other does not also require you to have a marriage, kids and a house.
2) Loving yourself is an initial requirement to be happy. But that old cliche never meant that it's a substitute for a meaningful relationship.
3) Relationships often fail. They are often "traps". Doesn't mean you'd have been better alone. Even failed marriages had happy times.

In the end, I'm not going to say you can't be happy as a single person. But I do believe you can't be happy indefinitely as a single person*

*most people, of course. Definitely >99%.

honestly, going to work on yourself is way more time efficient and you don't really need to deal with a nagging SO in that case. It makes school way easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
Troof
I want a mansion in Greenwich, a fennec fox, a mini horse, an african grey parrot, a garage full of fancy cars, overflowing closets full of bags and SHOOZ and dresses, and oh..I guess someone to share it all with :D :D

Kelly_SHOOZ.gif

Reactions: 1 users
I hope I am wrong. It's just that as I get to know my single female classmates more, guys being top in the class was one of their common criteria. Of course this was not the only criterion but surely it was an important one.

While non-med school girls have lower standards, so being in the med school was one of their important criteria. And some became less flirty after learning how long it takes for me to make money. During second date, I made out with her but during sixth date, she did not even want to kiss me and she tells me that I need to see her at least 6 months before initiating anything.
So I always have the common answer to all girls that I go date with: I am going into ROAD and will finish med school in 3 years. I work 40 hours and will spend a lot of my time with my future family.
Wtf did I just read. Lol anyone that cares about class rank from a dating perspective is a complete idiot

Most people in med school seem to have someone already. A good portion of my class is actually married or in serious relationships. If you don't have someone coming into school and you haven't hooked up with someone by the end of the first semester, chances are that you probably won't get a date/SO while in medical school. For most men that's probably a good thing since you could use most of your 30s while you're an attending dating women that wouldn't have looked at you twice before you became a doctor. For most women that's probably a horrifying though, but they did tell us we'd make sacrifices in medicine.

Perhaps you should presume a little more. You could also open a psychology book; there are quite a few good ones out there these days. It's funny that some people have this inclination to treat themselves like exceptions, rather than the rule. The percentage of the population that would be truly happy without any significant other throughout their lives is a negligible percentage.
Is account on hold new lingo for quality poster?

Is account on hold new lingo for quality poster?
Sometimes its just about pissing off the wrong person (someone who is online friends with a moderator) rather than a legitimate TOS violation. I really don't think mods here are impartial when they see a 'report' claim from their online buddy vs. someone else.

Last edited:
Sometimes its just about pissing off the wrong person (someone who is online friends with a moderator) rather than a legitimate TOS violation. I really don't think mods here are impartial when they see a 'report' claim from their online buddy vs. someone else.
He actually said some pretty terrible things in another thread, after having already been placed on probation. He earned his ban and earned it well.

As to the banning process, it's done by a panel of moderators, not just one person. They discuss every report and what should be done about it, then make a group decision as to what course of action they should take.

He actually said some pretty terrible things in another thread, after having already been placed on probation. He earned his ban and earned it well.

As to the banning process, it's done by a panel of moderators, not just one person. They discuss every report and what should be done about it, then make a group decision as to what course of action they should take.
You can search all his posts even though he is banned. He only has 5 pages of search results of posts- I skimmed 'em. The only one that stands out to me is the last one where he called someone an idiot. So I honestly don't know how he "earned it well." Some useful, most harmless pontificating.

It's either biased (and he often seemed to end up in debate with a particular poster who often gets likes from a particular moderator- completely circumstantial I know) or a roulette. And I know you know, like everyone, how group think works. One moderator is not going to conflict another's opinion as long as it isn't flagarant (and that "idiot" comment is enough technically even though it's not enough in spirit). Not saying I'm right- but I'm not blindly guessing either.

You can search all his posts even though he is banned. He only has 5 pages of search results of posts- I skimmed 'em. The only one that stands out to me is the last one where he called someone an idiot. So I honestly don't know how he "earned it well." Some useful, most harmless pontificating.

It's either biased (and he often seemed to end up in debate with a particular poster who often gets likes from a particular moderator- completely circumstantial I know) or a roulette. And I know you know, like everyone, how group think works. One moderator is not going to conflict another's opinion as long as it isn't flagarant (and that "idiot" comment is enough technically even though it's not enough in spirit). Not saying I'm right- but I'm not blindly guessing either.
Keep in mind that PMs are also a possibility, and a reason many posters end up getting the banhammer.

Also, just because a poster is getting likes, doesn't mean that they are particularly favored by a moderator or anyone doling out those likes. I like a lot of posts from some people that I don't find to be particularly likable, but I dole out my likes based on whether I agree with them or whether they're clever (or both). Look at TP- she's been put on probation several times (and currently is on probation) by WS, despite getting many likes from her.

Reactions: 3 users
Keep in mind that PMs are also a possibility, and a reason many posters end up getting the banhammer.
I did, but then you wrote: "He actually said some pretty terrible things in another thread, after having already been placed on probation. He earned his ban and earned it well." As if you knew.

He's not the first ban that people have questioned or were surprised by. Maybe they all send nasty PMs that we never see. I don't know. But I don't believe bias doesn't enter into it - simply due to how unpredictable and surprising some of them are, especially lately.

I did, but then you wrote: "He actually said some pretty terrible things in another thread, after having already been placed on probation. He earned his ban and earned it well." As if you knew.

He's not the first ban that people have questioned or were surprised by. Maybe they all send nasty PMs that we never see. I don't know. But I don't believe bias doesn't enter into it - simply due to how unpredictable and surprising some of them are, especially lately.
I think the mods are just taking a harder line than usual and enforcing the rules that have always existed. The lounge has practically been carpet bombed with warnings, and the main forums have been machine gunned with bans.

I think you should make a new post rather than going back and editing your previous post without writing "EDIT:" Not in this case- but sometimes it can look like you are trying to change statements deceptively. EDIT (how meta!): For the record I wasn't referring to JUST likes.

Anycase, personally I feel the banning is inconsistent. Maybe you're right and it's a new hard line. (Though I hope not b/c if beachside was banned due to content from his posts only than it's ridiculous, imo.)

Last edited:
Questions to men on this forum: do you actually value your relationships (anything from casual dating to more long term arrangements) with women? I ask because I have come to the realization that none of my dating in earnest hasn't amounted to much. I have been dating quite a bit in New York City (maybe 20 or so women) and I have only managed to get past a two dates with 3 women. Prior to coming here for medical school, I couldn't convince any women to date me at all. None of the women I have dated have brought anything useful or amazing into my life; they have just acted like parasites for meals, tickets to events, etc.. Sex is the only thing that any of the women I have dated have brought to the table and I realize that I could have probably saved money just by relegating that to prostitutes.

I have promised myself to not date till boards are over, but the voice in my head is telling me to forgo dating forever because of my past experiences. What do you guys think? I know quite a few of my classmates are either married or have long term girlfriends/fiancees; do you feel that your significant other has made your life better and augmented your ability to perform?

Last edited:
Questions to men on this forum: do you actually value your relationships (anything from casual dating to more long term arrangements) with women? I ask because I have come to the realization that none of my dating in earnest hasn't amounted to much. I have been dating quite a bit in New York City (maybe 20 or so women) and I have only managed to get past a two dates with 3 women. Prior to coming here for medical school, I couldn't convince any women to date me at all. None of the women I have dated have brought anything useful or amazing into my life; they have just acted like parasites for meals, tickets to events, etc.. Sex is the only thing that any of the women I have dated have brought to the table and I realize that I could have probably saved money just by relegating that to prostitutes.

I have promised myself to not date till boards are over, but the voice in my head is telling me to forgo dating forever because of my past experiences. What do you guys think? I know quite a few of my classmates are either married or have long term girlfriends/fiancees; do you feel that your significant other has made your life better and augmented your ability to perform?

New York City is hard because there are so many fish in the sea and everyone thinks they're hot ****. No one wants to settle and a lot of folks get to being in their 30s when they realize that they're doing well in their careers but nothing to show for their lives otherwise. You'll get lonely if you don't find someone but if you find the wrong someone then you might find yourself working to pay someone just because you gave them a ring this one time. Don't force it, just let it happen man

I only date to marry, don't waste my time with flings

I think you should make a new post rather than going back and editing your previous post without writing "EDIT:" Not in this case- but sometimes it can look like you are trying to change statements deceptively. EDIT (how meta!): For the record I wasn't referring to JUST likes.

Anycase, personally I feel the banning is inconsistent. Maybe you're right and it's a new hard line. (Though I hope not b/c if beachside was banned due to content from his posts only than it's ridiculous, imo.)
My posts frequently go up before I'm done editing or writing them. I'm writing from a smartphone, often in the middle of other things, so I write and edit at my own convenience.

Mix of both for the last question. My fiancee has been extremely supportive of almost everything having to do with med school. There have been times that I've been pretty hard on myself and she's been the one to bring things back into perspective. At the same time there have been times where it has hurt me. She needed to go to the ER 2 nights before a final, and we ended up being there from 11pm until 4:30 am. It completely took me off my game and I bombed that test.

The best relationships I've been in came from times when I wasn't actively looking to date anyone and just let things happen. Actively looking rarely works imo, and it usually gets you exactly the type of people you described, people that just want to end up as high on the social ladder as possible while having their needs fulfilled with little or no regard to yours. If you find the right person, it's absolutely worth it. Filling your time with the wrong people by searching for them will do nothing but waste your time which is too valuable right now.

My posts frequently go up before I'm done editing or writing them. I'm writing from a smartphone, often in the middle of other things, so I write and edit at my own convenience.
If you are making significant changes after clicking "post reply" than include the modifier "Edit:" or something similar. Or better yet make a new post. I'm not understanding you on why your use of a smartphone or being in the middle of other things has to do with it. But nevertheless it's only a suggestion!

If you are making significant changes after clicking "post reply" than include the modifier "Edit:" or something similar. Or better yet make a new post. I'm not understanding you on why your use of a smartphone or being in the middle of other things has to do with it. But nevertheless it's only a suggestion!
It's just not how I roll.

Lazy, fast, loose, and eloquent on occasion is more my style.

How are you picking these women? There are plenty of women who won't use you for free meals. :) I wouldn't date someone for materialistic reasons - that would be utterly unfulfilling, and I'd feel guilty taking gifts from someone I didn't feel a connection with. Perhaps try meeting women at Church or on your campus.

Last edited:
How are you picking these women? There are plenty of women who won't use you for free meals. :) I wouldn't date someone for materialistic reasons - that would be utterly unfulfilling, and I'd feel guilty taking gifts from someone I didn't feel a connection with. Perhaps try meeting women at Church or on your campus.

Online dating sites/dating apps like Tinder, parks and pretty much anywhere I go. I almost never get rejected. I dated a few girls at my school but that hasn't manifested into anything special. In regards to meeting women at church: I am an ardent atheist and would never want to date a religious person.

I didn't ask for advice about meeting a woman; I just asked if my fellow men on this forum felt that dating was a waste of time. I have no interest in dating because I feel I have never gotten anything out of my brusque relationships.

Last edited:

You're probably in your early-mid twenties, and most people are still in the high school/college way of viewing relationships (basically a way to get your sexual, social, and emotional needs met in a socially acceptable manner and choosing partners on superficial grounds). Also many women and men in our society still see relationships and dating as just a game, not really caring about hurting the other person. The reason most of these women probably aren't calling back/interested is because they probably have 20-30 other dudes that are blowing up their phone and want them. That said, by forgoing finding someone now, you run the risk of running into women that wouldn't have even said hi to you before and are only interested in you due to your job title and salary. Although the fact that you said no women would date you prior may mean that's kind of happening now.

Anyone who befriends me on Facebook etc. thinking that they're going to get special privileges here is in for a rude awakening. LOL. Just ask FML OR DV.

I don't see why it's not possible to like things users have said even when giving out administrative action against their account. I happen to agree with a lot of TPs views on things and so have liked many of her comments. But that didn't mean when she violated the TOS that I was going to ignore it.

The only users I'll admit to being biased against are those whom, after receiving an administrative action, send me lovely little notes saying things like GFYS etc.

Last edited:
Anyone who befriends me on Facebook etc. thinking that they're going to get special privileges here is in for a rude awakening in LOL. Just ask FML OR DV.

I don't see why it's not possible to like things users have said even when giving out administrative action against their account. I happen to agree with a lot of TPs views on things and so have liked many of her comments. But that didn't mean when she violated the TOS that I was going to ignore it.

The only users I'll admit to being biased against are those whom, after receiving an administrative action, send me lovely little notes saying things like GFYS etc.

You make no mention of my lovely little notes.

Anyone who befriends me on Facebook etc. thinking that they're going to get special privileges here is in for a rude awakening in LOL. Just ask FML OR DV.

Darn, I'm sad I missed that opportunity

;)

But I thought we had something special!?
IIRC, you refused to be my FB friend. Something about not mixing your two "lives".

If anything I am biased against you as well, given that I try and avoid "liking" too many of your posts lest you or others think we do have something "special" or that I'm stalking you.

GFYS = new acronym I learned today

I'll also jump in and say most mods will recuse themselves from discussions regarding users with whom they have a "history", but facebook friends generally do not qualify as "history".

IIRC, you refused to be my FB friend. Something about not mixing your two "lives". If anything I am biased against you as well, given that I try and avoid "liking" too many of your posts lest you or others think we do have something "special" or that I'm stalking you.

:whistle: Anyone else enjoy watching the cougar lure in her prey? :ninja:

Reactions: 6 users
I don't get why everyone is jumping on the mods of late. I really haven't noticed a sudden change in the standards/enforcement

I think its because there have just been so many actions, but there have been a ton more reported posts as well. I'm used to logging in and seeing like 4-5 at any given time and the last couple of days it's been 17-19.

I don't get why everyone is jumping on the mods of late. I really haven't noticed a sudden change in the standards/enforcement

Hate us cause they ain't us!!!
Or some version of that applicable to why they're saying this.

I'll just say that anyone not interested in surgery should be banned and the site changed to SDN: Surgeons' Domain Now.

I think it's way harder for women living in NY. I still haven't found a man that I would even remotely take seriously. I'm more interested in dating for marriage not for fun and I would definitely be interested in dating a fellow future doctor BUT I find that most men I've come across are not interested in serious relationships / are intimated by accomplished women. Hoping this will change in medical school

I think it's way harder for women living in NY. I still haven't found a man that I would even remotely take seriously. I'm more interested in dating for marriage not for fun and I would definitely be interested in dating a fellow future doctor BUT I find that most men I've come across are not interested in serious relationships / are intimated by accomplished women. Hoping this will change in medical school
Agreed. NYC is probably the best city for an accomplished man to date casually and the worst for accomplished women. The exact opposite is San Jose (Silicon Valley, just south of San Francisco). Plenty of accomplished men. In fact as CS-degree holder and former software test engineer, the only major gripe about a job at one of the big tech companies in the valley is the horrible social scene for single men.

:whistle: Anyone else enjoy watching the cougar lure in her prey? :ninja:

LOL..that prey is way too old (and married) to be cougar bait!

It totally worked

cougar-funny.jpg

Is it a problem with the reporting or a proborn with the posting?

Depends. This week it was a "proborn" with the posting and several reports about a single user. I'd estimate about 1/3 of the reports are not TOS violations (i.e.,
I don't like this user so I think they should be banned") and are rejected; about 1/2 are reasonable reports that need some action and a small number are SPAM and the like. This week was busy with people being stupid.