dating in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myrahu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it possible to have a ld relationship in med schl?....how busy are you really?

Members don't see this ad.

myrahu said:
is it possible to have a ld relationship in med schl?....how busy are you really?
No, in fact you have to sign a contract stating that you will not even attempt to enter into a serious relationship!

I could not find much about this topic using the search, but relationships will be my big concern for med school as well. As much as I would give anything to go to medical school, I'm not sure if I'd want to be single while I'm studying for 10 more years.

Anyone who has heard anything about relationships, whether long distance or not, please post.

Members don't see this ad :)
the thing is....

i thought the M.D. is gonna bring me CHICKS. as they say.

but...uh, no??

LOL

maybe i just have too high of a standard.

DrBuro said:
I could not find much about this topic using the search, but relationships will be my big concern for med school as well. As much as I would give anything to go to medical school, I'm not sure if I'd want to be single while I'm studying for 10 more years.

Anyone who has heard anything about relationships, whether long distance or not, please post.
I didn't try a search, but I know there are several threads out there where this has been discussed at length...

Nothing is impossible. My boyfriend and I dated while in undergrad and we've decided to attend the same med school. We're going strong. It's really nice to have someone there to support you, especially when he can explain Biochem and Gross Anatomy to you.

My brother and his wife also dated throughout med school. Don't take relationships for granted. That's how you get into med school in the first place...the fact that you can multi-task.

Best of luck!

AND SLUOX...NO THE "MD" WILL NOT BRING YOU CHICKS! I'D RATHER DATE A DDS.

I'm doing DDS :)
Got pix?
j/k

It shouldn't be too hard to date in med school, once you have lots of study dates.

PrincetonRocks said:
NO THE "MD" WILL NOT BRING YOU CHICKS! I'D RATHER DATE A DDS.
I'll be a DMD come 2009 and those are my arms to the left. I caught you a delicious bass.

(But I'm a girl so you probably wouldn't want to date me.) And I will agree that a MD behind your name will not score high quality chicks. Chicks will like you, but they will be crappy chicks.

I'll be doing the long distance thing from Texas to Nevada :scared: My boyfriend's best friend is now a resident so he has an idea of what med students go through.

I'll be doing the long distance thing as well. I'll be in Florida, he will be in Boston. In my case, my boyfriend is my best friend and I could not picture going through med school without being able to at least talk to him and without his support. He feels the same way...so we're gonna try.
It's tough...we've been long distance for 6 months...we've fought....4 times....but I'm willing to do whatever I gotta do to make it work...cuz I think we're worth it....

Karina

sluox said:
the thing is....

i thought the M.D. is gonna bring me CHICKS. as they say.

but...uh, no??

LOL

maybe i just have too high of a standard.
or you are ugly as hell. Look in the mirror and make the judgement.

Disagree.

The M.D. will land you girls. It will not, however, lure girls to you. Well, the occasional baitsnatcher, I guess.

In other words, if they're already interested, the M.D. will make them take the hook (where before they might cruise the room more). If they're out chasing other lures, well, you're out of luck.

Even since I've gotten into med schools, it's different. I may be sitting at a table with a bunch of friends, and we'll get a few girls over. Before everyone worked at blah blah blah job (finance, with the federal government, marketing exec, etc..). Now all the girls move from guy to guy but stop and ask me questions. Pisses the other guys off. :cool: :D

I would think for the guy who already has above average looks that the M.D. will do him a world of good. For Joe Schmoe, probably not as much.

As for dating in med school, I know a ton of people who met and married in med school. It's not all that uncommon among classmates. Nothing quite as romantic as holding hand with a cadaver, eh?

drat said:
I'll be a DMD come 2009 and those are my arms to the left. I caught you a delicious bass.

(But I'm a girl so you probably wouldn't want to date me.) And I will agree that a MD behind your name will not score high quality chicks. Chicks will like you, but they will be crappy chicks.

WTF are high quality chicks? Movie stars, Jessica Simpson, the Brooke girl from "E!'s Wild On.. series" (she's married to a plastic surgeon)..
These are all quality girls..

I hate how ugly girls think that a beautiful inside is what counts.. I say turn yourself inside out so I can at least not swallow my own vomit every time I look at super nerds or fatties.. :laugh: jk.. (?)

Although I'm Pro-money.. I'd rather marry a hot receptionist with no cash than an intellectual med school student making 200K+ that is not hot.. or gifted with angeline jolie's body.. or the great.. paris hilton :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
NPursuit said:
Disagree.

The M.D. will land you girls. It will not, however, lure girls to you. Well, the occasional baitsnatcher, I guess.

In other words, if they're already interested, the M.D. will make them take the hook (where before they might cruise the room more). If they're out chasing other lures, well, you're out of luck.

Even since I've gotten into med schools, it's different. I may be sitting at a table with a bunch of friends, and we'll get a few girls over. Before everyone worked at blah blah blah job (finance, with the federal government, marketing exec, etc..). Now all the girls move from guy to guy but stop and ask me questions. Pisses the other guys off. :cool: :D

I would think for the guy who already has above average looks that the M.D. will do him a world of good. For Joe Schmoe, probably not as much.

As for dating in med school, I know a ton of people who met and married in med school. It's not all that uncommon among classmates. Nothing quite as romantic as holding hand with a cadaver, eh?

yeah i guess it could work out but I still haev respect for those guys because they are capable of releasing an album such as Calculating infinty. BUT...Irony is a Dead Scene made me want to vomit...there new stuff will probably be lame too. we'll see

You need a plan. During the week when I was planning to go to school 3000 miles away from my BF, we made a pact to see each other at least once a month 1st year. One weekend in four can be sacrificed for your loved one. You will probably miss a day or two of classes that weekend, but so what? Most of the best med students I know don't bother going to class. And the cost? Stuff it on top of your loans if he/she is worth it. You also better have some good honest discussions with each other about your relationship issues cuz they will only be amplified when you are far from each other, and resolution over the phone is more difficult to come by than a personal confrontation. Know your relationship pitfalls and have a plan to avoid them.

Anyway, it's a load to handle, and that's why I opted to stay here with my hunni. But if you don't have a choice, I wish you the best of luck!

No it is impossible. Also I have to take my virginity back as well.

I'm pretty curious. What are the majority of girls like in medical school?

I know most of you are thinking that there are all of these different types. But overall, I bet there is something very common. For example, all of the girls in my engineering classes are very manlike, and you usually can't hold a good conversation with them. There are exceptions, but thats the majority.

DrBuro said:
I'm pretty curious. What are the majority of girls like in medical school?

I know most of you are thinking that there are all of these different types. But overall, I bet there is something very common. For example, all of the girls in my engineering classes are very manlike, and you usually can't hold a good conversation with them. There are exceptions, but thats the majority.

Go see the poll results on women keeping their last name. :rolleyes:

There are definitely a few traditionally-minded girls out there in med school, but I found the results a bit revealing/depressing. Maybe the Hakashi guy threw the results off a bit. Granted, it's also SDN.

NPursuit said:

There are definitely a few traditionally-minded girls out there in med school, but I found the results a bit revealing/depressing. Maybe the Hakashi guy threw the results off a bit. Granted, it's also SDN.

I don't know what the result is in that poll...I haven't seen it. But I can tell you this, I will probably keep my last name. I just loooove the way it sounds when people call me "Dr. my lat name". It's magical... I don't think it'll have the same effect if I took someone else's last name. I won't sound the same....or maybe that is something I'll have to get used to...

Karina

xSTALLiONx said:
WTF are high quality chicks? paris hilton :love:
Paris Hilton is a low quality chick. :eek: High quality chicks catch delicious basses.

Hate to break it to you, Stallion, but I have a feeling you're destine to have a crappy chick. :laugh:

I'm just teasing. . .

For girls who are going to medical school to meet guys to marry, you better be good looking. I know that many men feel insecure married to a woman who makes more money. And usually, the rich guys have really good looking wives.

You might just end up with a scrub (no pun intended).

Last edited:
NPursuit said:

That's a shame. I study a lot in undergrad and don't really think much about relationships because I was hoping to meet someone in medical school (possibly even a nurse during rotations). I was hoping someone would tell me something grand about the girls, haha.

frantic983 said:
Just saying that I am going to medical school has helped with chicks!

That is totally true. I was in my research lab yesterday and and M.Sc applicant came by to talk to my supervisor. We later struck up a conversation while my supervisor stepped out. She asked me if was a graduate student and I replied "No, I'm just working for the summer, I'll be starting med school in the fall." To my astonishment, her interest in me went from "nada" to "hold your horses" (well, I am exaggerating a bit :) ) I never had that effect on a girl before!

NPursuit said:
Disagree.

See, I don't know about this all too much. I am 22, and really hesitant to tell people my age that I am going to be entering medical school. I am from rural nowheresville, and when I'm out having beers with my boys and hitting on girls, that is like an instant convo killer. Loads of people aren't comfortable around the idea of me going to medical school, probably because they feel that I am too school-oriented and thus a snob, or that they themselves didn't go to college, or have any plans for life, or etc. Maybe when I reach my mid 20s it may be more appealing, but right now those dudes who throw "perfect spirals" for a D3 football team easily trump my premed douchebaggery.

It is honestly a two-edged sword, but I am a slammin' hottie so my game doesn't start with, "Guess what ladies, I am going to med school!" :laugh:

Rzarecta said:
Loads of people aren't comfortable around the idea of me going to medical school, probably because they feel that I am too school-oriented and thus a snob, or that they themselves didn't go to college, or have any plans for life, or etc. Maybe when I reach my mid 20s it may be more appealing, but right now those dudes who throw "perfect spirals" for a D3 football team easily trump my premed douchebaggery

:laugh: Couldn't agree with this more. I am from NYC. Half of the people from my hometown did not even graduate high school.

Rzarecta said:
See, I don't know about this all too much. I am 22, and really hesitant to tell people my age that I am going to be entering medical school. I am from rural nowheresville, and when I'm out having beers with my boys and hitting on girls, that is like an instant convo killer. Loads of people aren't comfortable around the idea of me going to medical school, probably because they feel that I am too school-oriented and thus a snob, or that they themselves didn't go to college, or have any plans for life, or etc. Maybe when I reach my mid 20s it may be more appealing, but right now those dudes who throw "perfect spirals" for a D3 football team easily trump my premed douchebaggery.

It is honestly a two-edged sword, but I am a slammin' hottie so my game doesn't start with, "Guess what ladies, I am going to med school!" :laugh:

Hell, I'm thirty and don't like telling people I'm going to med school. I'm sick of the same, stupid conversation -- "so, what kind of medicine do you want to practice?" "how long does that take?" "why do you want to be a doctor?"

gimme a break... I was out of the country for a few months travelling alone and I avoided telling people. When it did come up, it had two effects - 1) all people wanted to talk about was school and doctors (their school, my school, their uncle's a doctor, etc...) 2) it was seen as an affront to their intelligence so they had to tell me how smart they are, which is the worst.

It just caused too many problems.

boy, if you guys dont want to tell ppl you're in med school, what about us girls? will dropping the M bomb be a total turn off? :oops: what guy wants to date a girl in med school thats super busy?

heeter said:
Hell, I'm thirty and don't like telling people I'm going to med school. I'm sick of the same, stupid conversation -- "so, what kind of medicine do you want to practice?" "how long does that take?" "why do you want to be a doctor?"

gimme a break... I was out of the country for a few months travelling alone and I avoided telling people. When it did come up, it had two effects - 1) all people wanted to talk about was school and doctors (their school, my school, their uncle's a doctor, etc...) 2) it was seen as an affront to their intelligence so they had to tell me how smart they are, which is the worst.

It just caused too many problems.

I agree, I don't like telling people I'm in med school. I try to avoid it if I can, but if I "confess", people either think that I am being pretentious, or I get a ton of follow up questions. Life is better when your anonymous (at least for the time being).