Dating in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anybody here dating somebody in their own med school class?
just wondering what your situation is (how much time do you guys spend for quality time, do you study together etc)

the girls i've met in med schl are not worth dating. most that i've met are overly competetive ie the academic equivalent of a suicide bomber and are as selfish as they come....everything is competetive and i feel like they are more like excessively worried robots than people....i havent found many girls who are interested in anything outside of getting into X residency (or even guys for that matter). I was SORELY disappointed when i met most of my classmates...its like they live in a bubble and the only thing their television ever talks about is money, residencies, studying etc...MAJOR SNOOZE FACTOR ALERT!!..its no wonder why the divorce rate for docs is so high, i wouldnt want to live the rest of my life with some of the boring, anal retentive creeps in here...of course there are the few gems in the rough that i have become good friends with.

i need to find me a nice elementary school teacher.

Members don't see this ad.

JC, that's a shame. My class is extremely laid back. We always seem to have something social going on outside of class. We go out and get wasted on the weekends and after exams. People have lives outside of school. You can be as involved/uninvolved as you want, there are only a couple of gunners, and even they're really nice people. Sounds like you got stuck with a sucky class. Hopefully people will loosen up and stop taking themselves so frickin seriously.

To the OP: I'm dating one of my classmates, and I'm very happy with our relationship. There's minimal drama/gossip (at least among my classmates), and people are pretty supportive. We don't have a lot of "quality time," but we turn studying into QT a couple of times a week. We go on official "dates" pretty frequently (going to dinner, watching a movie together, he even took me to an opera last month). You try and find the time to make things work. If you are both mature adults, I think you'd be able to handle a breakup, if it ever came to that. My boyfriend and I have already had that discussion, and I trust that we are both adult enough to end on a civil, if not friendly, note, if things were to go sour. It is difficult sometimes (around exam time, for example), but we have different study habits, and we're completely different, independent people. We do not see each other 24 hours a day. We have morning lecture together, but after 10am, we rarely see each other for the rest of the day. It's probably different at other schools, and maybe you would have to see each other more often. But if you break up, you can just stop sitting together in lecture, or stop studying together after class. If you are worried about people gossiping (it's inevitable), then all I can tell you is to keep your private life private, and don't advertise if you are having problems. You're adults and should act accordingly.

And many of the women in my class are pretty smokin hot. (We also outnumber the men, ~65% to 35%.) Whoever said that women in med school are nerdy dogs has obviously never been to Baltimore.

the girls i've met in med schl are not worth dating. most that i've met are overly competetive ie the academic equivalent of a suicide bomber and are as selfish as they come....everything is competetive and i feel like they are more like excessively worried robots than people....i havent found many girls who are interested in anything outside of getting into X residency (or even guys for that matter). I was SORELY disappointed when i met most of my classmates...its like they live in a bubble and the only thing their television ever talks about is money, residencies, studying etc...MAJOR SNOOZE FACTOR ALERT!!..its no wonder why the divorce rate for docs is so high, i wouldnt want to live the rest of my life with some of the boring, anal retentive creeps in here...of course there are the few gems in the rough that i have become good friends with.

i need to find me a nice elementary school teacher.

dude, you sound like you have issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
My class hooks up like they're practicing to get on The Real World--it's tough to keep a tally of who's with/been with whom...

My class hooks up like they're practicing to get on The Real World--it's tough to keep a tally of who's with/been with whom...

Mine too. Seriously, med school girls may seem boring and competitive as hell, but deep down they are craving some excitement. In fact, I think that since they spend so much time studying, they may even be more prone to just hooking up, compared to a typical girl, who is likely to have much more time to be choosy and work on a relationship.

In my experience, dating girls in your med school class is like eating food from a street vendor in Mexico: its convenient but far less than ideal. I say this because most girls in medical school are nerds: they wear glasses, are 10 pounds overweight, have marginal skin, they buy their clothes at Ross, and are dour.

I challenge anyone to prove me wrong by providing evidence/data/facts.

P.S. Ad hominem attacks on this poster are not only not evidence, engaging in them proves you lack such evidence. Don't embarrass yourself as others have very recently done.

Hrmm, there are some smoking hot girls in my class/school. Must be all this warm weather.

I'm a fairly new poster here. I was really into a girl in my class and we hung out for a very long time and finally started dating and the whole thing fell apart soon after because of complicated circumstances. The problem is not only that you have to see that person EVERY day until second year ends and it makes it very hard to get over them. The problem is also that you may share mutual friends and it puts a strain on exisiting friendships and causes many friendships to end. My grades sank as a result too.

Many people advised me not to do it for the reasons that have been stated in this thread. Of course, I ignored all of them because the temptation was too much. I hope you have a little more strength than I did.

I saw PDA in the anatomy lab. Quite disgusting and disrespectful, I thought.

It's been too long for me. I thought: What's wrong with a PalmPilot in Anatomy lab?
God it's been so long I am not even sure if my junk still works :oops:

It's really hard-- A lot of misunderstandings, and "why didn't you call me ?."

You'll think he/she doesn't care, when really, he/she does , but just he or she has to give studying top priority. Then, you start asking yourself, why did you get involved in the first place ? And you will wish that you never did.