dating in medschool...Yay or Nay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kalikio26

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all. Just i ve been dating this girl for a couple months..and she really awesome..beautiful, supportive, funny the whole nine. i really wanna keep dating her but with the rigers of med skool looming in the very near future, I've heard its nearly impossible to keep a relation ship going...am i gonna have to b a monk for the next 4 years or is there hope for me yet...help!

Members don't see this ad.

Life is hard and it will always be so, even after med school. If you really like her, my opinion is that you should try to make it work. Just my opinion.

i really wanna keep dating her but with the rigers of med skool looming in the very near future, I've heard its nearly impossible to keep a relation ship going...am i gonna have to b a monk for the next 4 years or is there hope for me yet...help!

No one in medical school has relation "ships" or sex.. or happiness. The "rigers" are just too hard.

Why do people post this stuff?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're super-gung-ho and study all day and night then you won't have time. However, if you're like the majority of us and study a decent amount (this still means 10X the amt that you did in u-grad) you can find time for dating and relationships. If you are a gunner, you will absolutely need to budget your time carefully though.

Awww DredPirat - now be nice :laugh:

I think kalikio26 has a valid point but I have to say that I agree with t-funk. If she's worth it, then she'll continue to be supportive even when you don't have much time to hang out or talk on the phone and she'll be patient enough to wait the first three years which are particularly rigourous. On the other hand, you will have to also make a committment to do as much as you can, even if it's little things, to show her that you too can provide her the support and whatever else she may need while you're in school. But you have to want to make it work. There are plenty of people in med school that have families while in med school and they make it work (just run a search of the many moms and dads just on SDN). I work with someone that took 5 years to finish up at PCOM because she had a baby between 2nd and 3rd year - so as you can see, everyone's life does move on. You now have to decide what is important to you and what sacrifices you are willing and not willing to make to ensure that those same things that are important to you are mantained during your time in med school. Good luck!

There's dating and then there's having a girlfriend / boyfriend.

The former I would think would be very doable...the latter might get a little sticky, but that's just my personal opinion.

Good luck! She sounds awesome and you sound very nice. I hope that it works out well for you.

:luck:

OP is this going to be a long distance thing once you start school? I ask b/c I was in a similar situation, we were going to be a good distance apart once school started. After much deliberation and heartache I decided to break things off. Long distance is hard enough, but trying to do that while handling the stress and massive time consumption of med school seemed like an awefully tall mountain to climb. I didn't think I'd be able to give her the time she deserved. If it's not long distance then its a slightly diff story. Consider your priorities and her feelings...........Go from there.

I'd be too afraid of getting distracted :( (staying focused is important now more than ever), jealousy :confused:(What if my interest starts getting too cozy with another girl), resentment (If this dating thing doesn't work/he breaks my heart, I'd be inclined to eat him alive:mad:), sabotage (what if the other person is purposely playing mind games just so you could fail your classes...I know this sounds crazy, but said scenario takes place at ultra-competitive schools:eek:).

Pessimistic, I know, but these are just a few things to consider.

hello all. Just i ve been dating this girl for a couple months..and she really awesome..beautiful, supportive, funny the whole nine. i really wanna keep dating her but with the rigers of med skool looming in the very near future, I've heard its nearly impossible to keep a relation ship going...am i gonna have to b a monk for the next 4 years or is there hope for me yet...help!

Is it long distance?

It is going to be difficult no matter what but long distance makes it harder. It can be done, however. My fiancee and I survived through all the exams, being 1000 miles away from each other and the annoying Iowa weather. If you are both willing to make it work, it will work.

I'd be too afraid of getting distracted :( (staying focused is important now more than ever), jealousy :confused:(What if my interest starts getting too cozy with another girl), resentment (If this dating thing doesn't work/he breaks my heart, I'd be inclined to eat him alive:mad:), sabotage (what if the other person is purposely playing mind games just so you could fail your classes...I know this sounds crazy, but said scenario takes place at ultra-competitive schools:eek:).

Wow...trust issues much?

mmm...;)...Yes, honestly.

But, I realize that that's something I must work on. :)

Any psychologists/therapists in the house, lol???

Med-cest 2008! WooT WooT! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Life is hard and it will always be so, even after med school. If you really like her, my opinion is that you should try to make it work. Just my opinion.

:thumbup: t-funk is so smart. :love:;)

mmm...;)...Yes, honestly.

But, I realize that that's something I must work on. :)

Any psychologists/therapists in the house, lol???

I have my Bachelors in Counseling. ;)

hmmm, if I am not getting any after a month then I know the other person is playing mind games :laugh:

I am taking a vow of celibacy before med school starts.

This vow will not apply to anything that happens when I'm drunk.

its going to happen sooner or later to just about everyone, unless you are married, or engaged... you all will hook up, get hitched, go on a date, hold hands with a girl/boy, and other stuff that I wont mention.

Nothing like a little sport "****" to get through the stress (the asterisked word is really "date" BTW) :cool:

My mantra is:

"Hit it and quit it!"

I'm gonna get you drunk, TT. :biglove:

Muah!

thlip_print.jpg

FUGLY.jpg

I have also decided that my vow of celibacy will not apply to anything that happens when I'm nekkid.

I am taking a vow of celibacy before med school starts.

This vow will not apply to anything that happens when I'm drunk.

Let me know how being drunk through all of med school works out for you. :thumbup:

No need to be rude, now. I give a mean massage and we'll just loosen you up with a nice glass of wine in the meantime...

I'll rub your feet after a hard run if you'll do mine!

uglyfeet.jpg

No need to be rude, now. I give a mean massage and we'll just loosen you up with a nice glass of wine in the meantime...

I'll rub your feet after a hard run if you'll do mine!

uglyfeet.jpg

Where do you get these pictures!?!??!?!? GROSS

HOT MED SCHOOL COUPLE:

lovers.jpg

....I've heard its nearly impossible to keep a relation ship going...am i gonna have to b a monk for the next 4 years or is there hope for me yet...help!

That's not necessarily true because it depends on the individual relationship. If your relationship was built on a very solid foundation, you have similar expectations in life, you are both understanding about each others individual needs and you realize that no relationship can last if you don't give it a chance to grow and progress....then yes, you can have a relationship. That said, I know three people at my school who went through divorces last year. It isn't just hard on people who are dating; it can be hard on married folks as well. It may be a real test or it may be a breeze depending on whether you built that foundation first. Just be prepared in case it turns out less well than you expected.

Where do you get these pictures!?!??!?!? GROSS

They are receycled from another thread where I made lots of new friends one evening. We were all just open and sharing photos of ourselves... it was nice. :love:

Me and MeggieLou are BFF now; we talk about love and stuff 'round here on SDN and have Pedi-Egg parties.

its going to happen sooner or later to just about everyone, unless you are married, or engaged... you all will hook up, get hitched, go on a date, hold hands with a girl/boy, and other stuff that I wont mention.

Well hopefully you will find yourself a nice jewish boy and girl. :smuggrin::laugh::laugh::laugh:

It really depends on you and your relationship. I have several friends at school who have maintained their long distance relationships for the last 2 years, and are now able to move home to be with their SOs.... There have also been lots of people who have ended relationships. Some because of non-school related reasons, some because school was too hard, and some because they met other people at school. My opinion is that if you're willing to break it off because it might not work, then maybe you aren't that into her anyway. It can never work if you don't try.

I don't mean to be rude, but is this a serious question? Do you really think you can't date someone and be in medical school at the same time? That's kind of absurd.

No one in medical school has relation "ships" or sex.. or happiness. The "rigers" are just too hard.

Why do people post this stuff?

I say screw the dating and women and i have sex with the rigors.. rigors sounds good

I don't mean to be rude, but is this a serious question? Do you really think you can't date someone and be in medical school at the same time? That's kind of absurd.

I agree! These posts are hilarious. I am pretty sure going to med school does not mean that you give up living your life for 4 years. I for one plan on doing the same things I did during undergrad...

Relationships in Med School have a LOT to do with how flexible, understanding, supportive the "other" in signficant other is.

As hard as this is on the students, it's just as hard, if not harder on the spouse/significant other...some more than others.

If you try going to MS while still "dating" this girl, you'll know REAL quick how things are gonna go I'm guessing.

Like, in the first month.

They are receycled from another thread where I made lots of new friends one evening. We were all just open and sharing photos of ourselves... it was nice. :love:

Me and MeggieLou are BFF now; we talk about love and stuff 'round here on SDN and have Pedi-Egg parties.

awww gasapple, I didn't realize I meant so much to you! :love:

If I'm too busy studying in med school to date, I'll just resort to hookers. Oh well.

Along similar lines, I will be renting myself/my body out to those females who decide to stick with the "single in med school" approach.

With the increasing cost of medical school education, and the fed's crackdown on private educational loans, desperate measures must be taken.

I will make this difficult sacrifice in order to minimize post-graduation financial hardship.

In order to increase business, I will be posting flyers online and on campus once I arrive. Here is my initial posting, complete with a recent photograph.

373837644_cf70cd730e.jpg

CT's BODY RENTAL. 1/2 off First Visit!

...fees are non-negotiable

In order to increase business, I will be posting flyers online and on campus once I arrive. Here is my initial posting, complete with a recent photograph.

373837644_cf70cd730e.jpg

CT's BODY RENTAL. 1/2 off First Visit!

...fees are non-negotiable

Are you ever cold? furry men need lovin' too I guess.

Holy crap!!! Its a bigfoot sighting!!

Or is it a Wookie?

Chewie.....is that you, little buddy?