Dating in the military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Single Mom DDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is fraternization? What happens if you fraternize?
I heard that military dentists aren't allowed to date pretty much anyone due to the strict fraternization law. How do single dentists find their partner if they are banned from dating while serving the country? Anyone would like to share your experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I heard that military dentists aren't allowed to date pretty much anyone due to the strict fraternization law. How do single dentists find their partner if they are banned from dating while serving the country? Anyone would like to share your experience?

Fraternization applies to dating either 1) someone who is enlisted 2) someone in your chain of command. So as long as you are not dating your rater/senior rater or Commander you are fine. You could date any other officer in the DENTAC or in any other branch (infantry, transportation, etc...).

How would someone find out if you were dating an enlisted person - I don't know. What would they really do - I don't know.

Fraternization applies to dating either 1) someone who is enlisted 2) someone in your chain of command. So as long as you are not dating your rater/senior rater or Commander you are fine. You could date any other officer in the DENTAC or in any other branch (infantry, transportation, etc...).

How would someone find out if you were dating an enlisted person - I don't know. What would they really do - I don't know.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're a single lady in the military, there will be no shortage of possiblities. There's a severe shortage of females in the military, especially officers. It's like beer goggles, only "military" goggles for most of these guys.

Just stay out of you chain of command, and make sure they are an officer and good luck.

As an add on - one of my good friends that had done HPSP came into the Army and had 2 kids from a previous marriage. She met and married one of the other residents in her residency program and they are now stationed in Germany.

The Army will move dual military to the same locations. If your spouse is dental or even if they are a different type of Army Officer they will coordinate moves so you are either at the same location or within a very short distance from each other (several locations have bases within 30 miles of each other)