Dating While In School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedSoxDO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the most common piece of advice I've heard is do not date anyone while you're in medical school. In theory, that makes sense, but it's easier said than done. My girlfriend lives an hour and a half away, and classes begin on Wednesday. Has anyone out there done it? Any advice for a couple who would like to make it work?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a 2nd year med student and my boyfriend and I dated 4 years before med school, and became engaged a month before I started med school and he started law school. Much of last year, he lived 1 1/2 hours away from me, but fortunately his law school is in the same city as the med school, so we are able to spend quite a bit of time together. We're planning our wedding for just after 2nd year is over.

I dunno about the advice not to date during med school. Almost everyone in my class of over 200 students either currently dates or is married, so we ignored that advice. Sometimes the relationships work out, and sometimes they don't, but I think we all enjoy the companionship when people like me can make it work.

A relationship can work in med school if you both are willing to put in the effort and time for each other and it will certainly help if your gf knows the time constraints you'll have while in med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
the majority of my class is neither married or in a relationship.

hope they are not asexual :)

If a person actually likes someone they are dating or going to date, then that person tends to make things work.

FL DOC said:
If a person actually likes someone they are dating or going to date, then that person tends to make things work.
I agree... there is no time for games and stuff some people tend to like in undergrad. But if you're involved and actually like/love the person you are dating, it will work out just fine (given the non-med school partner is understanding and not demanding of your time when you don't have any to spare)

raDiOnut said:
Almost everyone in my class of over 200 students either currently dates or is married, so we ignored that advice.

damn, i would hate to be in ur school

Who ever told you not to date is a *****. If you took that kind of crappy advice youd be 65 before you have enough "free time to devote to a loving relationship" Hell I long distanced, 600 miles, my relationship, got married during the middle of first year and my grades went UP throughout the process. Life is about balance. If your so called friends think that balance is 99% school, 1% sleep, then thier lives are bound for unhappiness. Put the work in, make yourself happy.

Thanks for all the replies. They've been very helpful. Although, I have no idea what the asexual comment was about. But if it made some people laugh, ok.

would anyone here like to go out on a date? (ladies only)

I see no problem with dating in medical school. The majority of my class is in some sort of relationship. I find myself with less free time, therefore when choosing dates I tend to be more particular.

I don't find myself dating around as much, I just don't see the point. Instead, I find myself looking to date one person who I have a lot in common with. I figure I know what I want at this time, and might as well not waste my time on dating ppl that I don't see a future with.

Dating is possible and I might even consider it healthy. Your entire life should not revolve around med school...and it is kind of nice to have someone there to de-stress with (you know, you can play cranium or something with them ;) )

I was in a relationship for most of my first year...it was a long distance relaionship that fell through the cracks. Yeah, it sucked...and I have not gone out on a date since...but I do go out a lot with my friends...and when the time (and the person) is right, I know I won't question whether I could date someone or not just because I'm in med school...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully my relationship is gonna survive medical school

just a little advice from a seasoned med school veteran by now...... NEVER, EVER date anyone in your class. It might seem like a great idea. Or it might seem like a bad idea, with ALOT of alcohol making it seem like a great idea... but don't do it!

I was also a slow learner.... I had to try to tame a classmate twice. Both times I failed. And let me tell you a little about how fun clinicals are when you get stuck working with one of them. GRRRRRRRRRRRREAT!

So, in conclusion.... the best way to date in medical school is prostitiution! But remember all your training from micro!

Nothing wrong with dating in med school. I went thru my first two years without a serious relationship, but part of that is due to not wanting to look. We'll see what the next two years holds.

Just like anything in life...you always make time for the things that truly matter.

RedSoxDO said:
Perhaps the most common piece of advice I've heard is do not date anyone while you're in medical school. In theory, that makes sense, but it's easier said than done. My girlfriend lives an hour and a half away, and classes begin on Wednesday. Has anyone out there done it? Any advice for a couple who would like to make it work?

There's plenty of time to date in medical school. Just don't date your classmates.

My girlfriend and I have been dating for almost a year. She is going to be going to UIowa and I will be in Chicago. Its a 3 hour drive, but I think it will work out. We are going to try and see each other every weekend or so by taking turns driving. Im going to study my butt off during the week so I have a little time during the weekend. Luckily she is a med student too and we can study together on the weekends we are together. U are lucky that its only 1.5 hrs for you!

Richie Truxillo said:
Just like anything in life...you always make time for the things that truly matter.

amen to that! I fully intend on dating in med school... ;) good luck to all of those out there looking. You can have your cake and eat it too if you make time, just as Richie says.

OSUdoc08 said:
There's plenty of time to date in medical school. Just don't date your classmates.

too much drama? :confused: explain please.

I need to know these things before I even think about doing this. :laugh:

strawberryfield said:
too much drama? :confused: explain please.

I need to know these things before I think about doing this. :laugh:

1. Everyone in the class knows who you are dating and what you do with them.

2. Eventually all of the staff members and faculty know as well.

3. If you ever piss them off, they can make your life a living hell by spreading lies, rumors, or even complaining of sexual harrassment.

OSUdoc08 said:
1. Everyone in the class knows who you are dating and what you do with them.

2. Eventually all of the staff members and faculty know as well.

3. If you ever piss them off, they can make your life a living hell by spreading lies, rumors, or even complaining of sexual harrassment.

fair enough, probably exemplified here in Kirksville as well as this is such a small town :rolleyes:

consider yourselves all lucky =]. my boyfriend will be in iraq while i go to medical school, so not only do i get to stress about school, but i get to stress about that!!! and, when he gets back, he has to return to his post in GA, which will more than likely be 6 or 10 hours away from me, depending on where I get accepted. Even now, it sure is nice to have someone not in school to help stabilize you and make you realize something isn't the end of the world. The best physicians are well-rounded and don't make work their life. You have to have other things in life going on or you get sucked into that black hole :p

consider yourselves all lucky =]. my boyfriend will be in iraq while i go to medical school, so not only do i get to stress about school, but i get to stress about that!!! and, when he gets back, he has to return to his post in GA, which will more than likely be 6 or 10 hours away from me, depending on where I get accepted. Even now, it sure is nice to have someone not in school to help stabilize you and make you realize something isn't the end of the world. The best physicians are well-rounded and don't make work their life. You have to have other things in life going on or you get sucked into that black hole :p

Good luck....

I know this thread was started a while ago and I wanted to give my advice since I have gone through 5 weeks of medical school with a gf. I can't imagine going through school WITHOUT my girlfriend. She helps me unwind so much and is so understand/encouraging to me. It is also nice to have someone to hang out with on the weekends when you have time. If I was to make a suggestion....if you REALLY like the person it will make medical school much less stressful. Good luck

I've only been at this med school thing for over a month and tried to date a fellow classmate. She wasn't "game" for it, but it someone produced a strong friendship out of it...we hang out several hours everyday studying or just doing whatever. I guess as long as both people are professionals about it, then dating classmates can't necessarily be a bad thing.

I've only been at this med school thing for over a month and tried to date a fellow classmate. She wasn't "game" for it, but it someone produced a strong friendship out of it...we hang out several hours everyday studying or just doing whatever. I guess as long as both people are professionals about it, then dating classmates can't necessarily be a bad thing.

I would stay away from dating anyone in my class. My gf is from back home. I find it to be a great way to unwind by talking to her.

Screw dating.

I like to party.

haha

No time for girl friend. Thank god that I don' t have to spend one hour on the phone with GF back in no where town and blahhh blahhh blahhh.

Plus there is another expression that sais don't BEEB where you eat. Same thing with med school. Don't date someone from your class.. unless you started dating before hand and applied to the same school.

In response to the original post; I met my wife in biochemistry first year. By second year she was pregnant and by third year we got married. We now have a happy family. The fact is that anything is possible; it just depends on your priorities. Yes, my grades dipped a bit after second year, but so what. I'm much happier now than I ever was before. Got to remember that living your life takes more precedent than perfecting the art of medicine. Perhaps thats why they say "got to take care of yourself before you can take care of others."

Also, many other of my classmates coupled up and got married. I can think of four couples off of the top of my head. Good luck.

OK, so for those of you who say never date someone in your class but don't come to school in a relationship, where do you find people to date? Any med students ever use an online dating service, i.e. match.com? Otherwise, I'd think there isn't a lot of time to spare meeting people outside of school activities.

Dating is sinful and against the teachings of our Lord and Savior......

also, this is how you can contract the AIDS and various other ailments of the devil...

You should either take your vows or marry, but dating is the work of the Satan.....

Dating is sinful and against the teachings of our Lord and Savior......

also, this is how you can contract the AIDS and various other ailments of the devil...

You should either take your vows or marry, but dating is the work of the Satan.....

WTH. Lol. I don't remember reading any of that in the bible. Haha.
I think you're talking about sex before marriage. Dating and sex can be separated depending in who u talk to. Hahaha.

Your argument says: find some random person and propose to them. Funny...

😃😃😃😃

Can we please get a giant sign that says READ THE DATE OF THE THREAD.
Seriously, you bumped this thread?

So long as the thread is already bumped, the tech people told our class about a couple of classmates who were a couple, who were studying in a lecture hall after hours, who decided to do some ballroom dancing for a break, which quickly turned into a passionate love session. They thought nobody saw.... But the cameras are always on...