1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

DATQVault Breakdowns by section - anyone want to share?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by FROGGBUSTER, Jul 22, 2011.

1. FROGGBUSTER

2+ Year Member

I'm wondering if anyone who's taken the DAT could share how he or she did on the DATQVault questions (section breakdowns by % correct, i.e. Physiological Systems 80% of questions right, Cellular Bio, 75% etc) as well as share the real Bio score obtained.

Thanks, it would help me a lot in gauging where I stand.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LetsGo2DSchool

Removed 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I hope we can get some responses. I am curious to know as well as this bio section is the most difficult to ascertain where one stands.

I've done the 3 free tests (120 questions) and wondering if I should pay for a subscription for the other tests. Do you recommend?

4. FROGGBUSTER

2+ Year Member

Yeah do it. Obviously I don't really know how close the topics covered are to the real test (some people say they are, some people say no), but it's only $20 and extra practice is always good.

5. dongkookLim

Pre-Dental
    Hey Froggbuster,
    As requested here is my datQvault scores. :)
    Note that I took all the datQvault benchmark tests AFTER going through the Cliffs (as thoroughly or shallowly as I may have).

Cellular Biology/Taxonomy/Physiological Systems/Developmental Biology/Genetics/Evolution, Ecology, & Animal Behavior

Test 1: 11/11, 1/2, 8/10, 4/4, 8/9, 3/4
    Test 2: 8/10, 1/2, 7/11, 4/4, 9/9, 4/4
    Test 3: 9/10, 2/2, 8/11, 4/4, 7/9, 4/4
    Test 4: 7/9, 3/3, 9/11, 3/4, 7/8, 4/5
    Test 5: 9/9, 3/4, 8/10, 3/4, 6/8, 4/5
    Test 6: 9/9, 4/4, 8/11, 4/5, 7/7, 1/4 (xP)
    Test 7: 7/9, 4/4, 6/11, 3/4, 5/7, 5/5
    Test 8: 8/10, 3/4, 7/9, 3/4, 6/7, 5/6
    Test 9: 7/8, 5/5, 10/10, 2/4, 7/7, 4/6
    Test 10: 6/8, 4/5, 10/12, 3/4, 3/6, 5/5

A defining advantage was that I knew I consistently missed taxonomy, physiology, and ecology questions so I filled the holes in those.

Also, remember that they give questions to you at random! So I only got to seen. 419 out of 516 questions (not sure how to see the rest), which I think is pretty silly.
    I still think it may be worth the practice, especially if you've run out of questions to do and finished even the DESTROYER bio section.
    I hope this helps! :)

6. FROGGBUSTER

2+ Year Member

Thanks Dong, you rock.

7. annie12

Pre-Dental
    to see all of the questions you have to go through the practice questions on the right side of the screen.

8. Sisero68

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I only took 1 test a week before the DAT.

Cell Bio 9/11
    Taxonomy 1/2
    Physiological systems 7/10
    Dev Bio 4/4
    Genetics 7/9
    Evo, Eco & animal behavior 4/4
    Total: 32/40

In my opinion it is never what i got right, but how i studied what i got wrong. A great example is Qvault was the first time i saw questions regarding bacteria shapes and forms (bacillus, coccus, spirrila, diplo, strepto, staphylo) i studied this from wikipedia and by chance had a similar question from destroyer later that day that verified my knowledge of it.

Note: i also had one question that used that new found info on my DAT...

I know it sounds wrong, but the more you get wrong the more you can learn. tests should show you your weaknesses more then a projected score. use them to study from and you will all do great. (I spent 2/5 of my time taking test and 3/5 of my time studying from them)

Good luck

9. predental012

Would you guys compare it as similar to the real DAT in difficulty

10. vicsin

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I would say it is comparable to the DAT. I don't remember my exact scores but I got almost all 18's/19's...never higher than 19. My real Bio score was 18. But, my study buddy did the same thing and got even lower scores on qvault (16's-19's) and ended up with 20 on the real. (She says her section was really easy.) I would say mine was on par with DAT qvault difficulty.
    Remember though, nothing one person tells you about the real DAT experience compared to the practice can be taken as a generalization. There are many different versions of the DAT, some harder, some easier. You can't gauge yourself based on someone else's experience because you may get a harder section or easier section. The best thing to do is look at what you got wrong and learn from it so you don't repeat this mistake on the test. I thought DAT qvault was the only way you could prepare for some obscure questions they could throw at you (lots of good applications q's). It is good practice for that though the same exact obscure questions obviously won't appear on the exam unless you're lucky. And if you see you are shaky on a specific subject you can go through only questions on that subject on the right (if you pay). It helps organizing it that way.