datqvault or dat achiever - which one is worth it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blankman321

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have used the following materials so far:

Chad's videos
DAT Destroyer
AP Cliffs Biology
Kaplan PCAT

Im planning to get CDP and Math Destroyer in the next week

but I wanted should I add datqvault or DAT achiever as well, should I only buy the biology section or all science sections?

any advice would be great. thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Datqvault is good, but achiever is better. It may be overkill and destroy your confidence at times, but its a great resource and will make the real thing like cake.

Datqvault is good, but achiever is better. It may be overkill and destroy your confidence at times, but its a great resource and will make the real thing like cake.

thanks for the reply DrRoyalPains

im looking at the website for achiever right now, which of the three would you recommend:

Buy 69.99 (120 day license)
Tests 1, 2, and 3

Buy 109.99 (120 day license)
Tests 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5

Buy 139.99 (150 day license)
Tests 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7

I am on a tight budget but should i go for the 69.99 or 109.99 deal, does the extra two tests really help

I would advise against Achiever.
I don't think it's worth it.
I got the 7 test version, and I would've rather spent the money elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
see thats the problem I want to practice more to get a better feel and increase my confidence but im hesitant to spend money on practice tests that may have questions that are not good prep.

if you dont mind me asking what test prep are you using, babowc?

I would advise against Achiever.
I don't think it's worth it.
I got the 7 test version, and I would've rather spent the money elsewhere.

I have to agree with this. I take my DAT in a week and have both Achiever (3 tests) and Qvault. Achiever is really hard and has not done a very good job showing me where I stand. Qvault on the other hand does a much better job giving a reasonable testing scenario.

It's my opinion that taking a ridiculously hard practice test is MUCH less useful that studying very thorough material and then taking a test that more closely resembles the real thing.

If you want to get something really challenging, get Destroyer. Destroyer is probably comparable to a book full of Achiever tests with excellent explanations to each problem. (I have destroyer too)

see thats the problem I want to practice more to get a better feel and increase my confidence but im hesitant to spend money on practice tests that may have questions that are not good prep.

if you dont mind me asking what test prep are you using, babowc?

I'm using:
MATH/DAT Destroyer, Chad's, TSP, and OC Odyssey for questions/tests
Chad's vids, and Cliff's AP for reviewing materials

I don't recommend Achiever at all.
I used it for my first DAT, and it did nothing to help me. Aside from me not being prepared in general, it just had me panicking. I took two of the 7 tests today, and I'm thinking I won't use it again. If it wasn't bound to my HDD, I'd give it to you, haha.

I have to agree with this. I take my DAT in a week and have both Achiever (3 tests) and Qvault. Achiever is really hard and has not done a very good job showing me where I stand. Qvault on the other hand does a much better job giving a reasonable testing scenario.

It's my opinion that taking a ridiculously hard practice test is MUCH less useful that studying very thorough material and then taking a test that more closely resembles the real thing.

If you want to get something really challenging, get Destroyer. Destroyer is probably comparable to a book full of Achiever tests with excellent explanations to each problem. (I have destroyer too)

yeah the Destroyer is like a complete different animal. Im hoping going over it a couple more times helps.

so should I buy the biology section qvault?
even after doing the 400+ biology questions on the Destroyer, I feel like I'll be missing something that will haunt me on the actual DAT

I dont think anyone ever feels FULLY prepared for the DAT. Different resources are good for different things. Achiever may be overkill, but if you can nail the concepts tested on its exams, then the real thing will be much easier. I used it for my last DAT, but I also used it in concert with a bunch of other material, including datqvault, destroyer, and chad. I personally thought Achiever's sciences and PAT were great prep. It def kills your confidence though, and for the DAT, confidence can do a lot.

I think Achiever PAT is useful, but thats about it..
thier QR isn't too bad

SNS is too hard!!

I'm using:
MATH/DAT Destroyer, Chad's, TSP, and OC Odyssey for questions/tests
Chad's vids, and Cliff's AP for reviewing materials

I don't recommend Achiever at all.
I used it for my first DAT, and it did nothing to help me. Aside from me not being prepared in general, it just had me panicking. I took two of the 7 tests today, and I'm thinking I won't use it again. If it wasn't bound to my HDD, I'd give it to you, haha.

haha thanks for the help. whats TSP? on a side note is the Kaplan math section really easy?
im not good at math in terms of tricky problems/speed but I got a 37/40 which I found to be odd (the test in the book and on the CD)

also good luck on the DAT exam this week. Knock em dead. same goes to you ddsJD:thumbup:

Achiever makes me want poke my eyes out.... I took the first test, tried to do the second, and just closed it because I was getting so aggravated with it!

I love qvault though.

Last edited:
I vote Achiever. I used 3 test version and it really helped me. Don't use it as a predictor of scores, but rather as a diagnostic and a great way to whip you in shape mentally. If you can make it through the entire exam simulated like the real thing, then actual DAT will be a piece of cake. Don't take exams week of your test though since it'll ruin your confidence. I did it the week before (one on Mon, Wed, and Fri) and used it to find my weaker spots to review.

I averaged 18 AA and 17 TS and a 17-18 PAT on all 3 achievers and ended up with a 23AA, 24TS, and 21 PAT. All of my scores went up except for QR, which was weird. But I believe a lot of it was due to Achiever whipping me in shape to mentally handle the actual test and to finish each section with time to spare (went to reviewing answers).

yeah the Destroyer is like a complete different animal. Im hoping going over it a couple more times helps.

so should I buy the biology section qvault?
even after doing the 400+ biology questions on the Destroyer, I feel like I'll be missing something that will haunt me on the actual DAT

Yea I would for sure get the Biology. I don't think it would hurt to get all test section either though. I've done all the biology tests and some of them 4,5,6 times haha.

I like the other sections too. Datqvault's layout almost makes it enjoyable to test yourself in my opinion. I've been using it as my gauge to see where I stand after I study a section.

Destroyer+chads+cliffs+miscellaneous bio notes and then quiz with datqvault is my method of choice. Achiever shatters my confidence, but ill keep using it for PAT/QR for sure.

1.) for QR is kaplan DAT really easy? I did well but normally I am shaky on tricky math problems/timing.

2.) for PAT is CDP 10 test sufficient?

3.) can I use the Math section in the DAT destroyer or should I really buy the Math Destroyer to nail the QR section?

Last edited:
I got the Math Destroyer, it helps a bunch.
Only thing is.. you need to work on it timed.

I was having a hard time tackling the Achiever QR test timed.
But I was getting anywhere from 25 (beginning) to 35 (later) on the Math Destroyer tests.

The thing is, Math Destroyer begins to get repetitive, and you'll know the answer.

I got the Math Destroyer, it helps a bunch.
Only thing is.. you need to work on it timed.

I was having a hard time tackling the Achiever QR test timed.
But I was getting anywhere from 25 (beginning) to 35 (later) on the Math Destroyer tests.

The thing is, Math Destroyer begins to get repetitive, and you'll know the answer.

yeah I heard the only thing that makes the DAT math really tough is that its tough 45 minutes for 40 questions.

is the repetitiveness on the Math Destroyer a good thing or bad thing? lol

I think it would've been nice if they added more combination/permutation/probability questions on there.
I feel like I saw a bunch of those on my first DAT, (that I didn't know how to do, lol. Explains the 17 :/)