DATs compared to MCATs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedrod

youtube ruined my apps
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so have any of you taken both the DATs and MCATs?

i'm a little worried about taking the MCATs again so I was talking to my bro and he said that since i did reasonably well on MCATs, i should be able to do well on the DATs...he figures it would open up my options if i decide to not go into medicine (i dont want to go into dentistry). I figure if i did take the DATs that it might help me prepared for MCATs and boost up my confidence to when i actually take the MCATs again.

so lemme know what you think:idea:

Members don't see this ad.

Dont waste your money on the DAT, thats the dumbest thing Ive heard.

If you want to get your confidence up then take a bunch of practice tests and ace those. From what I understand alot of the DAT is just memorization and facts but the MCAT is more conceptual and application.

I agree. There are less costly ways to boost your confidence. Stick with your career goal and don't be swayed by easier alternatives.

Members don't see this ad :)
theres always stewart med!

I think D.O. would be a much better backup than dentistry. You have a smashing application for D.O. schools.

If you don't want to go into dentistry, then taking the DAT will probably not be an efficient use of your time.

Spending your time studying for the MCAT instead of the DAT is probably a better strategy to do better on the MCAT.

These are tough questions to answer, but I'm glad I could be so helpful.

I haven't taken both, but a friend of mine who has told me that the MCAT was much harder.

dang man, some of you need to calm down.

i wouldnt study JUST for the DATs. i would study for MCATs and then just register for DATs. my bro just wants me to take it bc if i do well on it and decide a year from now that i dont want to go to med school then i can make it into UOP dental, which is his alma mater. he has connections there so he was just saying.

i wouldnt study JUST for the DATs. i would study for MCATs and then just register for DATs. my bro just wants me to take it bc if i do well on it and decide a year from now that i dont want to go to med school then i can make it into UOP dental, which is his alma mater. he has connections there so he was just saying.

MCATs is not a word. MCAT.

Don't get yourself into the mindset that if medicine doesn't pan out that dentistry will be a given. I doubt that, even with his connections, your brother will be able to just usher you into dental school ahead of any number of applicants for whom it wasn't "Plan B." Just study for the MCAT, take plenty of practice MCATs, and rock it out. Don't try taking the DAT when it's so easy to get full-length MCAT exams to work with (especially since you admit that you don't want to be a dentist).

MCATs is not a word. MCAT.

this guy is hilarious. do you think by taking the acronym seriously you're smarter/more serious about medicine than me? ppl like you that point this issue out are just full of themselves and aren't helpful enough to give any advice so they just say stupid criticisms. i'm not surprised you're a med student now since you're prob only to do it to fluff your ego. prob not going to last in the industry hahaha

this guy is hilarious. do you think by taking the acronym seriously you're smarter/more serious about medicine than me? ppl like you that point this issue out are just full of themselves and aren't helpful enough to give any advice so they just say stupid criticisms. i'm not surprised you're a med student now since you're prob only to do it to fluff your ego. prob not going to last in the industry hahaha

I don't know why you're concerned with getting into medical school. I mean most people would have stopped at posting the equivalent of "Should I do hand stands to prepare for a marathon?" in what I imagine the English language looks like when it's been hung upside down, underwater, and beaten with a sack of oranges.

But oh no, you didn't stop there. You brought your A game and laid on some ironic assumptions in a manner that would make a drunken Faulkner proud. With that kind of over-zealous attitude, there's no way you can fail.

He was simply correcting an oft-made mistake on this forum. I'd explain why your reaction is, among other things, very laughable and over the top, but I think DeadCactus did a very fine job already.