DAT's finally over....THE AFTERMATH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freedyx3

I'm Columbian
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Finally done with my DAT test which I took this past Sat. Wow what a huge gorilla off my back! Before I go into the details of my test and my thoughts on each section I want to first wholeheartedly thank everyone on this forum who have helped me along the way and graciously answered all my questions. I feel so extremely lucky to have you guys as my collegues and as my friends. It people like you guys that will make dentistry a great profession. Ok now on to the test........................

My Preparation: About 130 hours total over a 7 week period before the test. I studied mostly from the red kaplan book which I took notes on and went over about 4 times. Along with the kaplan book I briefly went over my past class notes. Two weeks before the test I went over the kaplan practice tests from the kaplan class, the topscore tests, and kaplan flashcards.

My Scores: I am very satisfied with my scores overall. I could have done better on PAT and math but oh well.

PAT - 19
QR - 19
RC - 24
Bio - 25
CHem - 21
Orgo - 23
Academic average - 22
Science average - 23

PAT section: I'd say compared to topscore and kaplan tests only the angle ranking section is harder. All the other parts are bout same. Not too bad just remember don't get caught up on any one question.

QR section: I really felt like i did better then a 19 on this section. I think the key to doing well in this section is to work quickly. If you get stuck on one question for more then 60 seconds then just put an answer in and move on. DO NOT get caught up on one question cause that will kill you.

RC: On the practice tests i always ran out of time and felt fustrated but on the real test it was not bad at all. Just work quickly and def do not read the passage. Just go straight to questions.

Bio: Not too bad. I didn't have any taxonomy questions luckly but I had a few weird ones that scared the crap out of me. Like one question asked what bone was not found in the forearm and I didn't recognize any of the bone names. I think the difficulty is very comparable to topscore tests.

Chem: Def easier then topscore cause there's way less calculations. Very simple sections nothing at all complicated or detailed.

ORgo: Again about same difficulty at topscore tests just know the basic reactions and you should be fine.

Real test compared to topscore: I'd said all sections expect for PAT are easier than topscore and PAT is only slightly harder just because of the angle rankings. I got between 17-19 on academic sections and 20-23 on PAT on topscore. So if you're consistantly getting 17+ on topscore your good to go.

Ok I hope that helps all you future test takers and if any of you have any other questions feel free to email me.

Also I am selling all my DAT prep stuff so if your interested in buying emial me. I HAVE ALOT OF GOOD USEFUL MATERIALS!

-FRED:D

Members don't see this ad.

You did excellent there!
one thing that I 'd like to ask is what you mean by "def do not read the passage. Just go straight to questions for the Reading".
any special tips for the section?
thanks

Congrats Fred,

I know it must feel great to have that over with. I take it in a few weeks. Thanks for taking the time to post your experience.

By the way, GREAT SCORE!!! I would be VERY happy with those scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks all for your wonderful comments,

GavinC: Yeah keeping away from SDN was def good advice but I must admit I couldn't help myself sometimes:D

sunny2004: What i mean by def do not read the passage is when you get to the reading section just go straight to the first question. Read the question and start scanning the passage for the answer. Thats the best strategy in my opinion.

Also for everyone who is interested in purchasing my DAT prep collection I will get back to ya at the end of this week when get get back from a 3 day vacation.

Awesome man!

See I told you, you were gonna rock this baby! You could choose what school you wanna go to . Don't forget me at PENN, man. Make sure you gimme a call and we'll hang out.

DesiDentist

Wow, Freedy. That is really great. You have terrific scores. AND thanks ALOT for all the advice about each DAT section. I really need it. Once again, GREAT GOING!

12 hours til i take mine. i have a solid memory so ill give a good wrap up like these gentlemen. i may not post my scores if i suck though :-D

Hi,

I relatively new to this forum and I'm just loving all the well wishing that goes on--very cool. I want to congratulate you on your scores and for sharing your info with us so honestly. I too will be taking the DAT's toward the end of the summer. I am studying about 4-6 hours per day and will per hitting one sample test after another in about two weeks. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Saumya77 :p

The DAT discussions forum is now open and DesiDentist is the proud new moderator. I'll be moving this over there....