Day admit-only hospitalist jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PugsAndHugs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
PGY-1 trying to figure out what I want to do after residency.

I know nocturnists are usually admitting patients at night, but I was curious if there are any day hospitalist positions where you only admit and don't cross cover/round? Thank you very much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

I know nocturnists are usually admitting patients at night, but I was curious if there are any day hospitalist positions where you only admit and don't cross cover/round? Thank you very much in advance!
I suppose there might be places that use docs for day admit. I am a PGY3 on the job hunt right now and based on my limited experience, I notice that most hospitalist groups use NP/PA to do that.

Reactions: 1 users

My job may be kinda what your what you are looking for. . ..

I work 22.5 weeks a year. 13 of those I work as the MOD (Medical Officer of the Day) who takes all the transfer and acceptance calls for IM. It used to be a position that was done by every hospitalist 1-2 weeks a year. It generally was hated because it kinda sucks. I’m there 8am to 830-845pm. I’m the point of contact for EVERYTHING. The admissions themselves are generally done by a rotating group of PA’s and residents. I generally get called on about 30-35 patients a day plus outside transfer calls (which can be a lot).

It does take white a bit of knowledge of my local system as there is like 15k in rules about when and who takes what patients. I do have cross cover responsibilities to cover rapids during parts of the day (think the day doctor can answer the calls, but if hey have left they can’t cover the rapids). I work at a reasonably large hospital.
All that to say is that you can’t do what I do for the first year or so after being a hospitalist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many hospitalist groups have an admitting shift, often it is like 10a-8p or something like that. Whether or not they would hire you specifically to work that shift, as opposed to a rotating schedule (admitting 1 week, regular wards for 1 week, etc), is the question.

Yes they exist but not common. Most are evening admitter shift times as well, rather than banker’s hours day admitter only jobs.

from a recruiter email I got last year August:

The Hospitalist work 182 shifts per year and have a base salary of $205,000 annually. They do have production and a quality bonus as well.

Schedule: 4p-12a

Responsibilities:

• Number of Admissions per shift 8 - 10
  • Responsible of new admission coming from: ED, Direct Admits, Transfer from out of area hospitals
  • Hospitalist is expected to be in the ER and see pts there – ER relationships are crucial and full of respect and communicate with ER MD
  • Hospitalist must inform the PCP on admission
  • In few occasions they may do discharges when appropriate
  • Rarely we cover emergencies on pts in the hospital, but you might be called to see a pt
  • Cross cover from 9p - 12a

Reactions: 3 users
Yes they exist but not common. Most are evening admitter shift times as well, rather than banker’s hours day admitter only jobs.

from a recruiter email I got last year August:

The Hospitalist work 182 shifts per year and have a base salary of $205,000 annually. They do have production and a quality bonus as well.

Schedule: 4p-12a

Responsibilities:

• Number of Admissions per shift 8 - 10
  • Responsible of new admission coming from: ED, Direct Admits, Transfer from out of area hospitals
  • Hospitalist is expected to be in the ER and see pts there – ER relationships are crucial and full of respect and communicate with ER MD
  • Hospitalist must inform the PCP on admission
  • In few occasions they may do discharges when appropriate
  • Rarely we cover emergencies on pts in the hospital, but you might be called to see a pt
  • Cross cover from 9p - 12a
Also. The base salary may seem low but keep in mind it’s 8 hour shifts so per hour base pay comes out to 140/hr, then add in bonus/incentive and it’s actually over 170/hr total. On the call the recruiter said was closed icu too.

the location seemed very desirable (suburb of chicago). I actually would have accepted the job but spouse didn’t want to move. Long term, it’s a super great deal (only 3 hr of crosscoverage too??) the hours are way more sustainable than decades doing a nocturnist job. And perfect for anyone who hates day rounding.

Reactions: 2 users
My job may be kinda what your what you are looking for. . ..

I work 22.5 weeks a year. 13 of those I work as the MOD (Medical Officer of the Day) who takes all the transfer and acceptance calls for IM. It used to be a position that was done by every hospitalist 1-2 weeks a year. It generally was hated because it kinda sucks. I’m there 8am to 830-845pm. I’m the point of contact for EVERYTHING. The admissions themselves are generally done by a rotating group of PA’s and residents. I generally get called on about 30-35 patients a day plus outside transfer calls (which can be a lot).

It does take white a bit of knowledge of my local system as there is like 15k in rules about when and who takes what patients. I do have cross cover responsibilities to cover rapids during parts of the day (think the day doctor can answer the calls, but if hey have left they can’t cover the rapids). I work at a reasonably large hospital.
All that to say is that you can’t do what I do for the first year or so after being a hospitalist.
The pay for MOD full time is pretty low though right? Even this weekend/evening prn job is 110/hr Physician- Medical Officer of the Day - Weekend, Evening, Holiday Tours

Also. The base salary may seem low but keep in mind it’s 8 hour shifts so per hour base pay comes out to 140/hr, then add in bonus/incentive and it’s actually over 170/hr total. On the call the recruiter said was closed icu too.

the location seemed very desirable (suburb of chicago). I actually would have accepted the job but spouse didn’t want to move. Long term, it’s a super great deal (only 3 hr of crosscoverage too??) the hours are way more sustainable than decades doing a nocturnist job. And perfect for anyone who hates day rounding.

ok but did we miss the part about 8-10 admits per 8 hour shift? i dont think thats even safe unless ur getting a bunch of cp ruleouts and choles

ok but did we miss the part about 8-10 admits per 8 hour shift? i dont think thats even safe unless ur getting a bunch of cp ruleouts and choles
It’s certainly not for everyone, people see admissions at different paces.
At my regular nocturnist job or when I moonlight admitter shifts I routinely see ~8 admissions in a 4 hour cumulative window and have them 100% completed, then play games on my laptop or watch TV until the shift is over.

This is no different than any other specialty churning through 30-60 clinic (especially derm/ophtho) patients in a 8-9 hour day. I could NOT do that. I would mentally burn out seeing so many different people no matter how easy their visit is.
But clearly some people can do it safely.

To me, I find admitting to be a “cush” job because usually I can see patients at my own pace and keep fully sane with my control of downtime. Like I will stack 3-4 admits at a time; collect signouts from the ER, prep the notes while sitting in a quiet call room watching TV or redditting or facetiming friends. Then get up and physicially see them all within 1-2 hours and done, back to chillin in the callroom and collect the next batch.
Not everyone can work like this but I love it. To me, seeing 8 “sick” patients is WAY easier than 30 clinic people in a 8 hour period.
Busy clinic docs never get to sit in their office and play Civ 5 for cumulatively half their day...but I can as a hospitalist.

Reactions: 2 users
It’s certainly not for everyone, people see admissions at different paces.
At my regular nocturnist job or when I moonlight admitter shifts I routinely see ~8 admissions in a 4 hour cumulative window and have them 100% completed, then play games on my laptop or watch TV until the shift is over.

This is no different than any other specialty churning through 30-60 clinic (especially derm/ophtho) patients in a 8-9 hour day. I could NOT do that. I would mentally burn out seeing so many different people no matter how easy their visit is.
But clearly some people can do it safely.

To me, I find admitting to be a “cush” job because usually I can see patients at my own pace and keep fully sane with my control of downtime. Like I will stack 3-4 admits at a time; collect signouts from the ER, prep the notes while sitting in a quiet call room watching TV or redditting or facetiming friends. Then get up and physicially see them all within 1-2 hours and done, back to chillin in the callroom and collect the next batch.
Not everyone can work like this but I love it. To me, seeing 8 “sick” patients is WAY easier than 30 clinic people in a 8 hour period.
Busy clinic docs never get to sit in their office and play Civ 5 for cumulatively half their day...but I can as a hospitalist.

I do a purely admit shift, which involves taking calls (and accepting) all outside transfers as well.
12 hours, with average 12-15 admits
If it gets busy, just dole out some admits to the rounders.

The sick pts are the EASY ones.
Severe sepsis with AKI - easy.
ABLA due to variceal GIB - easy.
COPD exac on BiPAP - really easy since can’t really talk 😏.

The rough ones are the demented nursing home pt dropped off w/o paperwork (their fault), with their nurse now off shift and new nurse at facility not knowing anything (not their fault).
Labs are all barely abnormal and can’t get any info out of pt.....😡😡

Reactions: 6 users