Day in the life of a PA (primary care)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confused_Often

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your girlfriend will have to know that she will need to learn to navigate through situations with distasteful presentation of wounds at some point, either in practice or in training, if she hopes to work in the medical field. The good news is that folks can actually overcome their discomfort. But she’s not going to be able to insulate herself by trying to pick a job that she wouldn’t expect to deal with that. Even if you were able to minimize exposure to such things, you still need to be able to react to situations that randomly present to you. I spend plenty of time in mental health, and even being in an environment considered to be about as hands off as one can expect, I see plenty of blood and gross things. Heck, I smell and touch plenty of blood and gross things. You haven’t lived until you keep a mental patient with schizophrenia from biting off their own fingers in front of you, or shoving things into places where the sun has never shined and tries to change your hand.

But no, she might not need to find a different line of work, but she does need to up her game to become fine with working under conditions that challenge her, especially in primary care, where everything walks through the door. Needles used to make me woozy, but then I did phlebotomy as part of my job in the laboratory. Exposure helps lessen the fear.