Day in the life of a psychiatrist in the military?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heartsink

Medical student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've searched this forum, and the military medicine forum, and read every thread remotely relevant. The vast majority of threads are short (<4 replies), old (>10 years) and mostly filled with "use the search function" or "ask me in pms." Apparently military psychiatry is shrouded in mystery and intrigue.

Hoping to get more success with my thread on a few of these questions:

-What would be an example of a work day for an attending psychiatrist who is deployed (Navy, Air Force or Army)
-What would their day look like when not deployed?
-What are the major differences between the main branches as they relate to the above questions?
-Is it likely for deployed psychiatrists to assume the role of SMO and take on more general physician duties (surgeries, emergency medicine, non-psych stuff) over their role as a psychiatrist?

Members don't see this ad.

Was hoping to get at least one reply by now :(

Adding to this list of questions -- how likely is it for psychiatry-intended students (in USUHS for example) to go straight through from med school to residency, versus doing a GMO? I've heard that this differs by branch as well, and by specialty, and there's scarce little recent information on the likelihood for psychiatry.