day in the life of an md/phd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

me.

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how do md/phds balance bench work and clinical work? do they inevitably choose one over the other?

Members don't see this ad.

me. said:
how do md/phds balance bench work and clinical work? do they inevitably choose one over the other?

I think it really depends on the individual, their interests, their experience in school and the institution they end up at. I personally have met people all over the spectrum. There are MDs who even end up doing neither and end up as excomm members in hospitals and stuff. But I think those who do combine the two usually end up doing more research and then do clinicals maybe a few months out of the year.
And the other thing to keep in mind is the fact that even for MD/PhD this can change over time. Obviously when you are first setting up your lab and trying to get established you will spend more time in the lab, but when you become a PI and have people working for you, then you can afford to spend more time seeing patients and stuff.
Just my 2cents... I'm sure other people have ideas

Most of the MD/PhD attendings with whom I've worked will focus on either research or clinical stuff. Of course, when you're interviewing, you'll hear many of your fellow interviewees and maybe yourself talking about doing "50/50" research/clinic work. I have yet to meet someone who truly does 50/50 work.

Members don't see this ad :)
AndyMilonakis said:
Most of the MD/PhD attendings with whom I've worked will focus on either research or clinical stuff. Of course, when you're interviewing, you'll hear many of your fellow interviewees and maybe yourself talking about doing "50/50" research/clinic work. I have yet to meet someone who truly does 50/50 work.
In fact, it's hard to take seriously a candidate who says they want to do 50/50. Neither the lab nor the clinic is particularly amenable to that kind of division. (You could do 80/80... :p )

ears said:
In fact, it's hard to take seriously a candidate who says they want to do 50/50. Neither the lab nor the clinic is particularly amenable to that kind of division. (You could do 80/80... :p )

Yes yes I know :)

I tried using the 50/50 line at the first batch of interviews and all I got were blank stares and raised eyebrows.

Then you'll come across that one guy on interviews that claims to do 50/50 and tells you to not listen to all those folks who tell you, "You can't do fitty fitty!"