Day in the life of pathologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guv_garfunkel

guv_garfunkel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!
I'm a third year trying to decide what to do. I've liked all of my rotations. I've only recently considered pathology and through my research it seems like a great field I would enjoy. One thing I havn't really got a good answer on though is what a typical day is really like for a pathologist. I've only heard a pathologist usually just looks at slides all day. Could any of you comment on what your day is typically like, by the hour. I'm going to do a pathology rotation to get an idea too, but any information you might like to share would be sweet! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all!
I'm a third year trying to decide what to do. I've liked all of my rotations. I've only recently considered pathology and through my research it seems like a great field I would enjoy. One thing I havn't really got a good answer on though is what a typical day is really like for a pathologist. I've only heard a pathologist usually just looks at slides all day. Could any of you comment on what your day is typically like, by the hour. I'm going to do a pathology rotation to get an idea too, but any information you might like to share would be sweet! Thanks.

Really depends on the type of practice you are in. At our residency program, attendings look through the scope most of the day in cytopath, surg path, small surgicals (biopsies). If you're on autopsy, you have more free time to catch up on other things, but you will eventually have to look at slides pertaining to your case a few weeks or months later.

You will most likely be looking at the scope most of the day while taking calls from clinicians and going to get a cup of coffee.

Sounds good. Thanks! Anyone else?

A very nice introduction to pathology in practice (as opposed to the "reading about diseases in textbooks" pathology that you learn in med school) can be found here. It's actually written to explain to lay patients how pathology participates in their care, so a it's a bit simplified.