Day in the life of Penn State student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ragzpie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was just accepted into Penn State...I got the letter on Christmas Eve after bitching all day about how the only gift that would make me happy would be an acceptance letter...I guess dear old Saint Nick must've been listening!

Does anyone know how long Penn State students are in class? I forgot to ask during my interview... Also, does anyone know the pros/cons of the school?

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

you should check out the interview feedback forums it would help you out until someone answers your post. the option should be on the main screen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats, Mythili! Just curious, how was the interview experience there and how did you like the area?

Thanks for the tips!

I was looking at the class schedule last night and couldn't figure out whether one group of students gets to start later and end later and another group does an earlier shift...Or whether all the students have to attend from 9-5.

Integra, I liked the school a lot. The facilities were brand new and the students seemed happy. As it was first interview, I didn't know what questions to ask...Now that I have been on a few interviews, I have a better idea of what I like in a school. and have an idea of what questions to ask to determine whether the school would be a good fit..I'm trying to figure how Penn State measures up to my criteria.

As for the interview experience itself, it was really laid back. We didn't really talk about medicine...During both my interviews, we discussed my views on religion...I don;t think this is standard...It's just something that I like talking about and am interested in...No hard questions related to healthcare or medical ethics...Although I have heard of people getting healthcare related questions.

During the interview, be yourself (novel advice, eh?) and don't feel weird if you end up talking about something random for an hour.

I'd be psyched to go to Penn State, but am not enthused about Hershey. The students said that the big event there was an annual tractor race. I prefer large cities.

First year kinda goes like this...During anatomy, first 11 weeks, you have lecture at the same time, but half the class has anatomy lab early in the morning, before lecture, and half the class has lab after lecture, in the afternoon...so you don't have to be there 9-5 everyday. Also, labs are open 24 hours, and there are usually students and profs there at all hours of the day, so you can finish your lab studying outside the scheduled hours, or if you start deciding to skip class/lab. They do this so that there are enough profs and TA's to go around and help people do their dissections. Lab trails lectures by 1 day, so you don't miss anything by having lab before lecture. The rest of the year, you pretty much have class with the rest of your classmates, some days start as early as 8am, some as late as 10, 11ish. Once PBL starts the middle of your first year, you have it 3 afternoons a week in addition to your lectures and they go until 4-5pm. Second year is PBL heavy, we usually have that 3 hours 3 times a week, starting at 8am, with lectures interspersed. Congrats on getting in, and I hope this helps.

Late reply, but if you have any other questions I'm a 4th year and I'd be happy to answer. I've never heard of a tractor race here.

Casey

does anyone know if you can file for residency and pay the in state price? its one of the out of state schools that i am thinking of if i get in. i 've heard that it has an awesome cardiology/vascular departments? any insights? thanks

Cards and Vascular are very good here, two of my favorite rotations. However, you cannot file for in-state tuition, you actually have to have filed for residency here for at least 1 year before matriculating to get in-state. You cannot become in-state once in school. Believe me, i tried hard.

Casey

is it pretty hard to get into on campus housing at penn state? should i apply for housing now for next fall? thanks in advance for any advice.

Originally posted by Mythili
[BI'd be psyched to go to Penn State, but am not enthused about Hershey. The students said that the big event there was an annual tractor race. I prefer large cities. [/B]

Hmmm...me thinks someone was pulling your leg. There is an annual Farm Show in Harrisburg (which is found in any large agricultural area) which has Tractor races but its hardly the "big event" of the year.

Being from a really rural area myself Hershey and its environs dol not feel that small (people seem to forget that the state capital is 10 miles away).But if you're looking for a city type existence with cafes and the like within walking distance of school, then Hershey wouldn't be for you.