Swenis

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
steveysmith54 said:
FOr any schools in Cali.
Same here, except my request extends to all schools in general. :)

DuocSi2010

10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
I can't answer the OP but I can anwer Swenis. From what I remembered for my interview at University of Oklahoma, they had all of us meet first in a big room. They had the president of the pharmacy class spoke to us. There were a couple of pharmacy students helping, socializing with us (mostly to reduce our anxiety). Then they gave us a speech of how the day would go. Then the essay start and you get 30 minutes to write them (which are typically more than enough time because you can only write on one page). After that you split up into groups, sorted by colors. Then the groups rotate, taking turns to get interviewed. The essay was a piece of cake. They're not looking for anything fancy, just that you can write without grammatical errors (especially spelling. Make sure you can confidently spell everything you wrote, if you don't know how to spell some word, choose a synonym of it).

About the Ads
OP
S

steveysmith54

10+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2005
Status
DuocSi2010, What was the topic of the essay?

If u're limited to 30 mins and one page, it won't be much of an essay right?

Maybe a 2-3 sentence intro paragraph and 2 body paragraphs to support it. SAT2 english style. :D Or maybe just two good paragraphs????

rxlynn

10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pharmacy Student
steveysmith54 said:

Maybe a 2-3 sentence intro paragraph and 2 body paragraphs to support it. SAT2 english style. :D Or maybe just two good paragraphs????
The one I did was only 15 minutes. Like the other poster, it was a small group (6-8 applicants) with a P2 student proctor. They simply gave us a sheet of paper with two question choices, and then the proctor called time when time was up.

Yes, it's not a long essay. I took the tactic of one or 2 introductory sentences, body with examples to back up my point, and then one or 2 sentences to sum up. So, maybe that ended up being 3 or 4 paragraphs at the most. I actually found this to be the most nerve-wracking part of the interview, because I like to plan just a bit when I write, and there really wasn't any time for that.

DuocSi2010

10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
steveysmith54 said:

The topic was general. Mine was something like name three characteristics of a good pharmacist. It depends on the school. Some school will make you write something about current event. I noticed some other applicants didn't even have any paragraph. I had 2or 3 paragraphs. I was finished a good 10 minutes before time was up. Like I mentioned before, just make sure you spell everything correctly and don't make any mechanical errors, like grammar, using wrong punctuations, etc.

xnm11

10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
steveysmith54 said:
FOr any schools in Cali.
(everything below is based on last year's interview cycles)

ucsd's essay is very informal. your interview day is 4 hours long with about half an hour devoted to orientation / speeches by the dean and assistant dean, about 45 minutes set aside for the actual interview portion, and the rest of the time devoted to talking to current pharmacy students, taking tours of the school, and actually writing your essay. so in essence, you have several hours to write your essay. also, the essay topics are very random: if you had a super power, what would it be; if you could invite 3 people (dead, living, fictional, etc.) to a dinner party, who would they be; etc. they really are focused on your writing ability rather than your opinions, and it shows in their topics.

ucsf: you are given a set amount of time during your interview day to write your essay (45 minutes i think), and they are rather strict on the amount of time they give you. you are given a choice of three topics (what are the benefits of learning a "dead language," would it be a pro or con for students to have an active say in academic policies, and the stances of conscientious objectors. also, you are given a box (about 2/3 of a normal sheet of paper) in which to write - you are not allowed to write outside the lines of the box, and you have to fit everything you want to say in it. essay topics are definitely more thought-provoking than ucsd's.

i was not personally at an interview at usc, but i heard their essay portion is very rigorous in terms of following the rules. i think it was something like interviewees had to read an article and summarize the article in a specific manner: ten lines, 5 words per line, and in pencil only (something like that), with the emphasis being on following the instructions given.

i have no idea about the other schools in ca...

=)

Apothecary

10+ Year Member
May 19, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
savvysearch said:
Is having an essay common at a lot of school interviews?
I don't know, I think so, but this is the thing that scares me the most.
I had a pretty hard time overcoming dyslexia as a kid. I remember in my early teens, or pre-teens, I would forget simple four letter words. You could say I'm "mildly dyslexic." It seemed like I couldn't learn anything untill I shut my brain off or stopped looking for some sort of alphabetic principle of written english language.

On tests, depending on how nervous I am, I make a number of *spelling* errors. You see, I get cautious and instinctively want to double-check my "code", like a programmer, as if there were a system for creating words out of characters that represented sounds: i.e alphabetic principle. Since there is no such method, I start doubting how the word is spelled and the end result is nonsense.

English claims to have alphabetic principle, but it doesn't. Characters were meant to be representations of sounds which would compile as words, which represent ideas in a verbal language. A trully efficient language would allow some reverse engineering here, but not english. English is a butchered, stupid, stupid, illogical written language.
I suppose I got off on a rant...whatever. I don't care if this sounds personal, idiotic, etc.

Good luck with your essays. :( I suppose we should all do fine if we stick to words and sentence structure we're correctly confident with.

suckawucka

10+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2006
California
Status
Pharmacy Student
At WesternU, there's one essay question and you have 40 (or 45, I forget) mintues to respond. You're spread out in a room and have to write with pencil. The question this year was something to the effect of what is one world event that you would change and why.

My suggestion, just write a simple essay with a good intro (including all the main points, 2 or 3), the 2 or 3 supporting body paragraphs and a strong conclusion restating the 2 or 3 points.

I personally didn't think it was too bad, but coming up with the 2 or 3 body paragraphs may take a few minutes... and since time's not exactly on your side, having something creative that makes sense should do the trick.

About the Ads