DC/DO DC/MD 's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPH

20+ Year Member
Reaction score

I am a DC starting @ UNECOM this fall.I am interested in sharing experiences and vision with like minded clinicians.

------------------

Members don't see this ad.

Not a former DC, but I'd like to say - welcome to the club.

I'm just curious. Have you been practicing and do you intend to continue with DC techniques in your future practice?

Also, were there any particular reactions, positive or negative, to your current profession during the interview process?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a D.C. student and would love to talk. I'm thinking of applying to D.O. school and could use some advice. I'm not that happy with chiropractic. Let's talk.

Darrell

------------------

SpineDoc, you know...I have heard you opinion was quite common. A girl I went to school with had recently dropped out of chiropractic college due to her dissatisfaction. Her fiance had been a DC for a few years and was VERY unimpressed with the job and $$. He was part of a practice here in D/FW and was actually finding difficult to pay bill, eat and make his loan payments. I believe he will be startin TCOM this fall.

Here in Dallas, Chiropractics is highly pushed in advertising like it's instaneous wealth and pure satisfaction. The bad thing is the market here is extrememly oversaturated!! Hell, you can walk across town on the tops of the DC clinics and never have your feet touch the pavement!

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
Senior, Neurosciences
Univ of Texas at Dallas
Class of 1999

Old Man Dave.... Chiropractic is a business not a health care profession. It very well could be a first class profession, however, I'm not going to wait around until it grows up. As far as biomechanics and SMT(spinal manipulative therapy), I have learned a great deal and probably know more than most D.O.'s. Your right it is tough to make money and this brings doctors to be businessperson's and not clinician's. I have become very interested in spine medicine(ie. Low Back pain) and I want to expand my scope of practice to include so much more. I'm thinking anesthsiology/pain management. I know I can handle med school, however, it's going to be tough to get past the MCAT....any suggestions?

------------------

Spinedoc, you do realize that there is a difference between OMT and SMT don't you. OMT is performed on various parts of the body, not just the back, and has different puposes such as enhancing circulation in infected areas etc. I think you're familiarity with medical school will be an asset, but you shouldn't let the MCAT scare you. I can assure you that it is a tame animal compared to medical school's curriculum. I'll admit that all of the material it covers may be a bit intimidating, but both Kaplan and the Princeton Review organize the matierial in a way that makes covering all of the subjects 'do able'. I took the Kaplan course and did well on the MCAT.

Old Man Dave, you are depressing me. When I read your name I always took heart that there was someone out there older than me. Then I saw that you graduated HS in 84...I graduated in 83. Maybe we could start our own geriatric SOMA organization.

Later,
Grandpa av8r

Hey now!! Old Farts unite!!! Actually, it's a nickname I acquired from a young nursing student [now my lovely wife] I swooned while a primary RT in a PICU I used to work in...the name just sorta stuck. She's 6 years my junior...There's a lot to be said for cradle robbing!!!!!!

SpineDoc, av8r made a wonderful suggestion. You have undoubtably had solid exposure to all of the traditional pre-med courses. But Princeton and Kaplan provide a very orchestrated method of review. More importantly, they teach you about the structure of the test itself. Once you know how the test works, it isn't nearly so daunting. I took the Princeton course and considered it $1200 well spent.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
Senior, Neurosciences
Univ of Texas at Dallas
Class of 1999

jph,

I am a 1st year D.O. student, and I graduated from D.C. school in 94. You should be fine, I haven't seen too many differences in the basic sciences or manipulation so far(although I went to LACC, which was well known for being more difficult in the basic sciences). If you just are consistent in putting in your time, there should be no problem. By the way, to av8r, smt of chiropractic(CMT)is applied to all parts of the musculoskeletal system, it's just that chiropractic is best known for low back. The main difference I see is that OMT emphasizes more low amplitude stuff than CMT.

DCDO

jph,

I am a 1st year D.O. student, and I graduated from D.C. school in 94. You should be fine, I haven't seen too many differences in the basic sciences or manipulation so far(although I went to LACC, which was well known for being more difficult in the basic sciences). If you just are consistent in putting in your time, there should be no problem. By the way, to av8r, smt of chiropractic(CMT)is applied to all parts of the musculoskeletal system, it's just that chiropractic is best known for low back. The main difference I see is that OMT emphasizes more low amplitude stuff than CMT.

DCDO