DC or DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KeigoDC

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am in a DC program but I was introduced to the DO program by a good friend of mine. It appears that there aren't much difference between a DC and a DO, but I don't know much about the DO program. Can anyone give me a piece of advice? Any advice will do! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

dc practice is limited to manipulation.american do practice=md practice+manipulation. do's are fully licensed physicians and practice in every specialty. they can obtain residencies at md or do institutions.

No offense, but I graduated from a chiropractic college with my B.S. in Human Biology (Logan College of Chiropractic) and D.C. and D.O. are nothing alike. Think of DO's as physicians who are medically equivalent to MD's and also know how to manipulate. There are DO's who are the department chairs of top allopathic programs, and the Surgeon General of the United States army is a D.O. Even the technique of manipulation, or adjusting is different. DO's tend to do more long lever, general manipulation. However, cervical manipulation is very similar to diversified technique. If you want to be a "real" doc and also are interested in manipulation becoming a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine might be right for you;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by KeigoDC
It appears that there aren't much difference between a DC and a DO...

Is this guy for real?

Here comes the 15 page every-man-for-himself flame war.

but I don't know much about the DO program.

You don't say.

Actually, a DO is a fully licensed physician, able to practice in any specialty (neurosurgery, psychiatry, internal medicine, etc.), in any state. They are given the same practice rights and privileges as MD's. Also osteopathic med students are able to take the MD licensing exams and to enter into MD residencies even though the DO profession has their own residencies/specialties mirroring that of the MD's. However, osteopathic medical schools will teach manipulation and will generally have a greater emphasis on the primary care specialties (family practice, general pediatrics, general internal medicine). A DO program is for all intents and purposes, a medical school.

Keigo, since you are in a DC program, I'm assuming you know the DC scope of practice so I won't go there. I'm not sure what kind of advice you were looking for but if you're having second thoughts about being a DC, you should think hard about whether or not being "stuck" in manipulative medicine is what you want for the rest of your life.

Apparently, several chiropractors have failed out of KCOM over the last several years. DC and DO = the same thing...I think not!

Thanks for all the friendly replies/feedback you gave me. I am very glad I posted the thread because now I know much more about the DO program that I was unaware of. I will try to get into the DO program because I believe it is something I want to do, as to just manipulate. As to my current DC program, I will see what to do with it. I'm just starting, so it doesn't hurt to drop out of it, I just don't know how the DO committee. Again, thanks for all the feedback and MORE ARE WELCOMED! I'm new and I am here to learn from you!

Thanks for all the friendly replies/feedback you gave me. I am very glad I posted the thread because now I know much more about the DO program that I was unaware of. I will try to get into the DO program because I believe it is something I want to do, as to just manipulate. As to my current DC program, I will see what to do with it. I'm just starting, so it doesn't hurt to drop out of it, I just don't know how the DO committee. Again, thanks for all the feedback and MORE ARE WELCOMED! I'm new and I am here to learn from you!

You write back sounding so sincere that I feel bad for not helping you in the first place.

http://www.aoa-net.org

http://www.stillpointhealth.com/osteopat3.htm

http://www.drgrisanti.com/mddc.htm

Hope those help.

My opinion: Chiropractors are fakes.

Too many lawsuits and too little knowledge.

Every see one of this informercials at 2am that has some product being peddled and then a Chiropractor comes on to say how wonderful it is...the company they says "Doctor Recommended!"

Bull.

On the other hand, my D.O. LOR came from a former D.C. who graduated #2 from KCOM......

You think MD's are trying to distance themselves from DO's, Please.

What a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by mdjd
You'll probably get a much better and more accurate comparison if you post this question in the pre-allopathic forum.

My recommendation: Take much of what is posted in pre-allo with a grain of salt.:rolleyes:

Again, thanks for everyone's reply. I'm very happy to hear many of you putting thoughts into my problem. I will be heading to a DO school tomorrow and hopefully be able to talk to the counselor. I will keep you guys updated on what happens, but as of now, I'm just praying that the counselor will say something good. Thanks again!

My recommendation: Take much of what is posted in pre-allo with a grain of salt

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by mdjd
You're probably not getting too many helpful replies because you've posted your question in the wrong forum. These guys (DO's and DO's-to-be) are trying to distance themselves from DC's as much as MD's are trying to distance themselves from DO's. You'll probably get a much better and more accurate comparison if you post this question in the pre-allopathic forum.

Thank God the MDs have someone like you speaking for them.

Makes me feel even better about deciding to be a DO.

:)

Just DO it.