DC resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Herman Bloom

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know whether or not Washington, DC, residents are able to designate either VA or MD residency when applying to medical schools? I know that prospective undergraduate students have this option, but I've heard recently that this might apply to med school applicants, as well.

Along the same lines, do any of you know whether DC residents get special consideration at George Washington University or Georgetown University? I've heard that this might also be a possibility. Thanks for any info.

Members don't see this ad.

I do believe that GW and GTown med schools give special consideration to DC since this is the primary community that thy serve.

I do not believe that DC residents have any preference or may obtain any preference at Maryland or Va schools. DC residents do not pay taxes to the Commonwealth of Virginia or the State of Maryland, and I do not think either place would be too keen on being forced to accepted nonresidents as residents to its own school(s). I know there was a bill out about DC funding DC students to the "in state" level to attend Maryland or Va schools (DC pays the difference between instate and outofstate tuition) for undergraduate schools, but this conferred no "advantage" in the admissions process to that student, only a financial advantage if accepted as an out of state student.

I do know whether this bill (if it passed or when it took effect) conferred the same financial advantages for graduate programs or med school.

Best of Luck,
Coops