DC to DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drcrafey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any DO's that were DC's that can give a DC some advise and or Comparisons on school?

carl

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Carl,

I got most of my comparison info. from the Princeton Review's Best Medical school's of year 2000. I'm sure they come out with a new edition every year, but it will help you with a lot of your questions. It has medical school surveys, info. for older(nontraditional) applicants, MCAT score release policy, Allopathic and Osteopathic comparison, stuff to prepare you for the interview, timelines. Basicly it will tell you everthing that you need to know about DO school.
Your DC friend, doc2b34
P.S. By the way how many years have you practiced and where did you grad. from? Med. school really like students who have clinical experience in the health care field. I got into TUCOM.

I graduated from Logan in Aug of 2000. I practiced by myself for a year but had to leave b/c the Doctors that backed my clinic were the average chiro's who wanted everyone 6x 1wk 3x for 3 wks and so on. Too many visits and too many xrays. So I left and am doing an IC in another office a few days a week. I worked as an ER tech for 1.5 years in school and I currently work as a rad tech in the hospital. I live in Cincinnati OH and would like to go to a school close by but would go anywhere. I have a wife and 2 little girls 2years and 3 weeks so that is why I was wondering if the classes will be that hard or did we learn alot at school to help out.
Carl

Members don't see this ad :)
By the way where is TUCOM?

It will help, at least through the first 2 years. The med school basic science classes are more rigorous, I thought. You should be fine. I can't really comment too much on other schools, since I don't know much about them. I am a few months away from graduating TUCOM(In Vallejo, about 1 hour east of San Francisco). OMM isn't any different than the chiropractic manipulation you have already learned. I can totally relate to the DC practice hassles that you describe, with the emphasis on high patient visits and retention.

Good luck! I have absolutely NO regrets.

Dr. Crafey and DCDO,

Now you know two DC's that are becoming DO in TUCOM(I'm seeing a trend here). I'm not sure how many more DC's are in TUCOM, but it looks pretty good for you if TUCOM already has two. Another thing, if you look in TUCOM's school catalog, there is a professor with a DC, Ph,D. teaching. I heard that there are a bunch in Western Univ. also. It sounds like you haven't purchased the Princeton Review yet. It helped a lot with all the questions I had about my qualifications. Good luck! doc2b34.

P.S. Look foreward to meeting you in the near future DCDO.

Thank DCDO and Doc2b34 for your insight. It really gives me some hope. Did you both decide the DO route was for you or did you apply the MD route as well?

TUCOM was the only school I applied to- geographical reasons.

There was a DC in the class before me and after me at UHS in KC.

To DrCrafey,

I applied the first time to allopathic schools and was not successful. I was going to try again the next year, but then I found that my long time family physician is a DO who graduated from UHS. After that I started doing more research into DO schools and was very impressed. I'm happy to say that I got in the first time I applied to DO schools. I had to apply to 12 schools and was wait-listed at TUCOM and finally admitted. Good luck! doc2b34