1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

DC to DO

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by greenecrew, Feb 23, 2001.

1. greenecrew

greenecrew New Member

Dear future Doctors,
    I am currently a practicing Chiropractor, 8 years private practice, and am considering pursuing a D.O. degree to enhance my patient treatment options while keeping a more holistic approach to health. I am interested in speaking with someone who has done the same thing or familiar with my situation. I've been told by Dr. Burnett, from your website, that he has many colleagues who were D.C.'s prior to D.O. but haven't heard back with names.
    I look forward to any help.
    Thank you!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MAAT

MAAT Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

My suggestion would be that you keep an open mind. The concept that only DOs have a "holistic approach to health" is just rediculous. While OMM does fit well with your prior skills, by limiting yourself to ONLY DO schools you have cut your chances from 1 in 140 or so to 1 in 19 schools (doesn't even count slots)

good luck,

SEEK TRUTH -- MAAT

4. milleniumhc

milleniumhc Member
    10+ Year Member

I think that I could be a bit of help to you...I am a current osteopathic student and my husband is a chiropractic student. I definitely think that pursuing your DO degree would be an excellent asset to your current skills. My husband actually wishes now that he would have pursued a DO degree instead of his DC. (He only has a year left of school). He feels that having only a DC puts some restraints on his practice and that OTM skills are much more well rounded than chiropractic skills. Where chiropractic is mainly neck and back, OTM encompasses much more. I am in complete disagreement that "limiting" yourself to DO schools is actually limiting yourself at all. The fact that your are already a DC bodes well for you. DO schools tend to accept people with "life experience" more so than MD schools. They put emphasis on it because they feel that you must have a lot of dedication in order to put your current life on hold in order to pursue this dream. I think that you have a great chance. If you have any questions, let me know. I will help you the best that I can. Sincerely, mhc

5. dcdo

dcdo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Some thoughts:

1)Apply to both MD and DO schools. In DO schools you have extra hours to do for OMM on top of a full medical curriculum. If you have been a practicing DC for a fair amount of time this extra training for OMM will be a waste of time.

2)As a DC, you probably have a better chance of getting into a DO school as they tend to be more open minded for people of different backgrounds.

3)My experience with the DO profession is limited thus far, but I don't think DO's are necessarily any more holistic than MD's. It depends on the individual.

4)If you truly want to be a medical physician, in the end either the DO or MD path should get you there just fine.

5)I would recommend that undergrads who are interested in manipulation and health care just go right to DO school and forget chiropractic school altogether. With practice you can do anything a DC can do yet still have essentially unlimited options in the health care field. As a former DC I can tell you that your options as a DC are quite limited.

Good luck with your decision.

6. gower

gower 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

To sound out what an osteopathic college will look for in an application from a practicing DC, why don't you give a call, or even better, arrange a visit to a DO school? I think the nearest to Georgia may be Nova Southeastern in Fort Lauderdale.

Admissions: 954 262 1101 or
    1 800 356 0026, ext. 1101

For other DO colleges, go to:
    www.aacom.org

AACOM has an Osteopathic Medical College Information Booklet. The book has two pages devoted to each of the accredited DO schools, with addresses, phone #, and web site for each. Check the aacom web site.

------------------

7. greenecrew

greenecrew New Member

Thank you to all who replied to my question! It is great to know access to real opinions are possible.
    I would like to ask if "milleniumhc" and "dcdo" would be able to communicate directly with me or is this forum the only means? "maat" and "gower", I truly appreciate your input as well.
    Thank you all again!

8. I applaud your desicion to return to school, but what is it about the DC that you do not find engaging anymore? If you dont mind me asking -- which DC school did you attend? The reason I ask is that my best friend is attending NYCC and I have first hand knowledge of the difficulty and comprehensive nature that some DC schools have other DC schools. Let me add that my friend did take the MCAT and considered all his options. He got a 34 and had an undergrad gpa of nearly 3.7 -- his first and really only choice was DC. Now, I see a chiropractor, but only from certain schools.
    P.S. I also know of a DC that earns an absolute fortune so dont let $ be the reason. Good luck

9. dcdo

dcdo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

10. milleniumhc

milleniumhc Member
    10+ Year Member

Greencrew, I hope that you get this....sorry my reply was sooo late. I have been on spring break and such. I don't really want to put my e-mail on here for all to read. It is just kind of a precaution... I had some weird problems with that in the past. Anyhow, if you want to set up an account or just give me yours, I would be more than happy to correspond privately. My husband would like to help you out too! Hope that we can get in touch. Sincerely, mhc

P.S. Did you by chance go to Life?? Good old Sid Williams...

11. greenecrew

greenecrew New Member

mhc
    Thanks for your reply. I'm slow in responding without a just cause, unless kids count.
    I believe you can reach my e-mail at the top of this box. If not it is in my profile.
    Yes I did go to Life(just a little chiropractic college then), but I don't kiss Sid's ring.
    Talk with you soon.
    Jay